2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Where do I mount the ballast?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Where do I mount the ballast?
« on: October 22, 2006, 23:28:30 »
Hello all, I finally got my canopy together. Its not all trimmed out yet, but the lights are mounted and working. My question is where do I mount my ballast? The most convenient place would be underneath the lid with the lights, would this be a bad idea? If I did mount them there what would be the downsides to this location? I do plan to add fans to this setup later on, but for now this is what I have. Also I have 2=55watt PC's, and 2=18watt T-5's and for those who don't know they are on a 20 gallon long. With the new canopy they sit about 7-8 inches above the surface of the water is this to high off the top of the water? All comments, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks all, and God bless.

Offline Slicktrax

Re: Where do I mount the ballast?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 06:58:47 »
the ballasts throw off heat.  if you can get them on the outside of the hood that would be best.  that way the heat does not get trapped inside the hood.  even better would be to have the ballast a few feet away from the tank.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 07:46:55 »
Mounting the ballast outside of the hood will also help keep them away from moisture.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:49:06 »
i mounted mine outside on the top back