2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RO/DI Filtration combinations  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
RO/DI Filtration combinations
« on: May 31, 2011, 22:15:52 »
What kind of RO/DI system are you running? What filters? Where from? Pressure? TDS meter, single-double?   More importantly, what kind of readings, and how long before required filter replacement? Oh, and thank you, the more details you give the better off I'll be.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: RO/DI Filtration combinations
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 22:23:59 »
Water general RD-106, Six stage, PSI going in is about 60psi, I get alittle under 4 gallons an hour production of RO/DI, It has 6 stages all together.

I am unsure of the reading in, but I have zero out on the TDS, I have a HM inline TDI tester

Not sure on the filter changes... I have yet to replace the filters on this particular unit but I have run over 200 gallons through it and is still reading 0 on the out, and my DI resin has yet to change color.

http://www.watergeneral.com/product01.aspx
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 22:27:18 »
My system is from AirWaterIce, but modified over the years

3 stages of prefilter   2 sediment  Down to 5 micron, 1 carbon (Filters changed about every year or so)
Filmtec 150gpd membrane (This membrane is about 5 years old and still going strong)
3 stages of DI - separate Anion/Cation Beds, then a combo at the end to be overkill.   I find that I change the anion bed about 3 or 4 times before the cation bed goes out.

Pressure pump feeding the system at about 70psi  (Really helps in the wintertime with cold water)

Tap Water is about 450 tds
Post Membrand is 4-6 tds

I also fill a small tank for drinking water and ice  (Pulled off before the DI stage)  If you run a tank, to keep your membrane efficiency up, add a permeate pump.  This keeps very low back pressure on the membrane.

Of course I have a small PLC controlling this too :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:59:08 »
Cough cough...  :T

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:06:11 »
 i just installed the premium series 75GPD unit from buckeye field supply. i have a well so i needed to add booster pump to get the PSI i need which is 60psi. also installed the dual in-line TDS meter. i have 330ish TDS in an 0 out. but i have just made cple hundred gallon so far. but i think i should get 4-6 months out of the pre-filter's an resin. VERY happy with customer service also ! :-ThumbUpsm 

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:27:11 »
i just installed the premium series 75GPD unit from buckeye field supply. i have a well so i needed to add booster pump to get the PSI i need which is 60psi. also installed the dual in-line TDS meter. i have 330ish TDS in an 0 out. but i have just made cple hundred gallon so far. but i think i should get 4-6 months out of the pre-filter's an resin. VERY happy with customer service also ! :-ThumbUpsm
:party0049:

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 20:59:20 »
Come on Marvin! I know there are more than three people running a RO/DI system.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 21:04:35 »
Come on Marvin! I know there are more than three people running a RO/DI system.

if you lived closer you could just use mine

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 21:41:31 »
if you lived closer you could just use mine
There two things I find funny about me dropping $175 duckies @ BRS.
1. Its effen great to know that I don't have to pay for water in my apartment, and I have IMO  :th_character0028: water pressure.

2. Currently, I'm running (at maximum) a 45gal. system. It doesn't evaporate much because the halide isn't on for very long, and I do weekly 10% water changes. Not much water is needed for that. However thats is going to change in no longer than a year from now. Then probably 107gal.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 21:44:42 »
I am making about 300gallons a week of rodi out of mine, for various friends... my tank size doesn't matter;) and all my stuff is practically paid for since I do all the labor.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 22:38:13 »
I am making about 300gallons a week of rodi out of mine, for various friends... my tank size doesn't matter;) and all my stuff is practically paid for since I do all the labor.
I bet you have gained a lot more friends after procuring your RO/DI!

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 22:38:58 »
Ehh I hate friends they are too much work... ;)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 22:44:55 »
Ehh I hate friends they are too much work... ;)
yeah I kinda was getting that from you

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 22:47:53 »
rofl I wasn't being serious...

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 22:49:45 »
so are you in your avatar or you just like the pic?

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 00:07:08 »
so are you in your avatar or you just like the pic?
Not that picture, but I've got some that are just like it. Good old days

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 18:10:07 »
I am reading the replies on ro/di. But what is the cost of a unit and how much to replace filters and best place locally to get one.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 18:39:26 »
I am reading the replies on ro/di. But what is the cost of a unit and how much to replace filters and best place locally to get one.
There are a few different types RO/DI systems. Ranging from economy (as the name sounds it doesn't filter the greatest), to full blown water treatment plant practically. Depending on how many gallons of water your going to need and how fast you want to production said amount. Supply water quality & pressure make a difference as well.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 18:52:01 »

I would say 100-200 would get you a good one for aqaurium use imo... most filters are around 10-30 bucks a piece and need changed every few months depending on how much you use it to make water... the membrane is the most expensive filter for purchase runs about 60+ depending on unit... and needs replaced every 1-2 years depending on usage... the conveince and saving in the long run though pay off greatly.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 22:46:47 »
The best thing I can tell you, as I am still in my infancy. Is to do as much research as you can, there are a few great (and local) suppliers. Some are even sponsors. RO/DI, in my opinion is the foundation equipment of the aquarium hobby. It is the most important, without good water your problems will only grow with time. It is a big investment (for me anyway) at first. However, it is one that will pay off more times than anything else you will buy IMO. Hope this helps!

Offline mbettman

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 22:59:44 »
Helps some, So if we have a 90 and a 120 gallon aquarium, What would be my best option.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 23:35:20 »
Helps some, So if we have a 90 and a 120 gallon aquarium, What would be my best option.
Are you on well water?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 23:58:35 »
I mix up 20-40 gallons weekly for my 75gal (total volume) tank for waterchanges... I mix this water up a day before in a barrel(usually while I am at work.) and let it mix and warm up over night(with small pump and heater)... then I make two 5gallon jugs of fresh to make it through each week for top offs.... I put them in a sealed container at the beginning of the week and use as needed.... I try not to store the fresh for any longer than 1 week, and the salt for no more than 3 days(the whole time it is circulating and heating)....

As for which unit, I can't help you there, check out a few sites, (buckeye field supply, water and ice, water general) see which one you like... My 100gpd water general filter works just fine for all my needs and can make a a decent amount of water in a relatively quick amount of time for emergencies(bout 4 gallons an hour)... if you don't want that much per hour or could care less of how long it takes you to make water then you could go with even less gpd which are cheaper, but usually not by much... I would say 75-150gpd would be a good range to start for your volume.

This is just my opinion... I'm sure they're some people out there who might do it differently or better, but it works for me and I have no reason to change it.

Also something that came standard with my model that I thought wouldn't be something I would use but hooked it up anyway just case I had it was the 4gallon pressure reserve tank and drinking water attachment(does RO only)... I don't drink from this faucet at all but it has proven very handy when needing to rinse something off, knowing I am using perfectly good water to rinse parts, clean skimmers, and mix things with...and since it stores 4 gallons, it basically saves you almost an hour of time as it has it on hand you don't have to wait for it to filter... my unit auto tops off anything I use in the pressure tank... very nice feature imo.. and a 1/2" vinyl tube fits over the fitting perfectly so you can tube your ro right into jugs on the floor as opposed to lifting them up to the faucet.... might not matter to you much but I love that feature on mine(plus you can drink from it aswell, it's good to cut cleaning supplies with such as windex)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 00:05:02 by Boonjob »

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 00:14:03 »
It may also be wise to check you water pressure and TDS out of the faucet before buying a unit... some units run best at certain pressures which may sway which one you buy... also some unites require more stages depending on how bad your tap water perimeters are.

If you are on well you will most certainly need a booster pump(not all cases) and most likely may have a high TDS reading.(not always)

Check your hardness aswell, you may need a water softner to prolong filter life.

did I leave anything out?

I don't run one, but if you suspect bacteria in the water or just want a cleaner water mind set; you can also look into a uv sterilizer....(I personally think it is a waste, as most drinking water is fine stock imo, and any water you let sit for any duration is gonna be susceptible to bacteria from it's surroundings anyways.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 00:27:21 »
Some additional uses for RODI I have found are...

-It makes excellent tea, coffee, flavored mix drinks
-The RODI by itself at 0 TDS is a great window/glass cleaner for your tank or around the home(leaves no streaks)
-It can be used to cut most water based cleaners such as windex, it does dilute them but you can easily get two full perfectly functioning bottles  out of every one normal bottle.(My wife cuts all her cleaners with it now, and it works just as good and saves us a trip and makes everything stretch a little farther)
-It makes great ICE
-Also most filters are not very efficient IMO, they waste on average anywhere from 2-5gallons of waste water for every good gallon of RODI... most will simply allow this water to run down their drains... I run mine outside to a collection bin(another water barrel) and use it to water my grass and flower beds. Or any grey water need for that matter.

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I find most useful about it other than just refills for my tank...