2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mechanical filtration?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Mechanical filtration?
« on: November 27, 2006, 22:10:48 »
Does anyone here use mechanical filtration? If so what kind? I am just curious, my mind is always running about different setups.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Mechanical filtration?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 22:14:07 »
I have a prefilter on my overflow to remove some of the sediment.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 22:30:09 »
One of the reasons I am asking is because I was reading about Oceans Clear filter units. Anyone have any experience with these filters?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 23:00:07 »
ocean clear are the only canisters I will use :)  I used them a few years back on my old 150g & they worked awesome!!!  After I took that tank down (long sad story) they have been collecting dust for a while however I plan on installing them on my 260g (& future tank), just haven't got around to it yet :(

They do a awesome job of cleaning the water, you just need to change the filters every few weeks. 

300g tub o fish

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 23:01:47 »
IM useing a sock filter in my sump. I have heard thoes Oceans Clear filters get clogged quick. Im not sure if you can clean the filter inside them or not.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 23:08:04 »
I have read that filter swaps are a cinch with the Oceans Clear, but the replacement filters cost $50.00. They say they can be cleaned, and reused over and over again.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 23:17:00 »
I have no clue if it's a good idea to throw them on a reef tank, on a FO tank it's a GREAT idea!!!

Correct, the filters are $40-60 depending on the size.  Cleaning them involves unsrewing the filter, removing cartridge & setting the cartridge in bleach for a while.  Then you clean it with dechlor or a similar product.   I have a few extra cartridges on hand so when it's time to clean the filters I just throw a clean one in there so I have plenty of time to clean the dirty cartridge.   

They do not really clog easy, you just have to have a pump that can run it with head pressure. 
300g tub o fish

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 00:36:26 »
I run a water jet cutting machine at work and it uses a large canstier style filter. Its 3' long and 12" in diameter. They clog once a week. but they are also 100 micron.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 21:19:33 »
I beleive the OC's are 25 micron

They do not clog because what goes through them is waiste from fish, algae etc.

They will create a bit of backpressure as they get loaded up with stuff though :)

300g tub o fish