2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What controller?!  (Read 5698 times)

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
What controller?!
« on: January 31, 2017, 19:25:02 »
So I've been reading about the difference in controllers and as some of you know, I buy and ask a bunch of questions. I've never used one and I'm an ironworker! So computers are not my strong suit. I can email Facebook and stuff like that. What one do you folks think would be best for a newer reefer and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
Re: What controller?!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 19:58:27 »
Bump

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 22:12:49 »
what is your price point and what are you wanting to do with it?  I have an old reefkeeper that I bought used for about $100 and I can do quite a bit with it.  control lights, pumps, ph, temp.  I just cant monitor it via wireless and have all the data logging capability the newer apex controller have. 
Jeff

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:40 »
I have a reefkeeper lite.  Also about $100 but I added ph probe which I think was $25 more.

No wireless but it shuts off my heater if it gets too warm, fudge light timer, servers as my auto top off.  Thinking of going back to Kalkwasser and will use it as failsafe for that (too much being added, high ph, shut off additions).

I think I would like the logging feature as the more I learn over time the more I find I like the data from testing etc. so might have gone for a more fully functioned if I had it to do over.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:17:50 »
I use a reefkeeper lite.

It is relatively inexpensive, simple and reliable. If you have a large system with lots of equipment you want managed, you will need a model with more bling

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 13:24:13 »
what is your price point and what are you wanting to do with it?  I have an old reefkeeper that I bought used for about $100 and I can do quite a bit with it.  control lights, pumps, ph, temp.  I just cant monitor it via wireless and have all the data logging capability the newer apex controller have. 
Jeff
What are you going to sell it for?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 14:51:51 »
I'm not selling mine. Just asking how much you were setting aside for your purchase.  There are a few options according to how deep your pockets are and what all you want to do with it.
Jeff

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 17:03:40 »
I'm not selling mine. Just asking how much you were setting aside for your purchase.  There are a few options according to how deep your pockets are and what all you want to do with it.
Jeff
Awww! Yeah well I can afford either I'm just trying to figure out which one I should buy. Which one would do what's best for me w/o over kill

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 21:11:23 »
I have the Apex JR and like it

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 21:34:41 »
I'm kinda thinking. That's what I'm going to get. Apex jr. anything you don't like about it or wish it had? Keith92

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 21:41:06 »
Not really.  I'm not a super tech person so the basics work for me

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 21:42:08 »
Sweet! Does this do the wifi and text alerts?

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 19:04:37 »
Yes,  I had to buy an additional peeve to make it wifi. Got it on ebay for $25. Some of the tech guys can guide you through it

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 19:23:14 »
I have had both a reefkeeper lite, and now an apex lite. Both worked well for me. I only use them for basic functions. Mainly lights, ph, added protection of turning off a faulty heater. I do like the fact that on the apex I am able to use an old 7" tablet as the display. No real added functionality, but I just like the way it looks.

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 19:25:35 »
That's the kinda feedback that helps! Thank you guys

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 10:20:52 »

Apex for me, had it for 1 year and I am amazed at how much work this device has taken off my hands, super flexibility, I have two tanks systems running off one controller. I worked in Budapest, Hungary last year for 8 weeks and could sit over there and monitor my tank, let my wife in Hamilton know if she needed to tweak anything for me. Great device.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 12:36:36 »
Been using the apex Jr I got at the Christmas meeting, right now only doing temp/heater and controlling my refugium light. I would like to do more with it, but I need to read up more on the Jr to see what it can support (on a budget that is)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 17:16:03 »
what is the difference between the apex jr and apex full controller?  I have seen several used jr. for close to half the price of the full version.
Jeff

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 17:24:18 »
Great topic

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 18:04:20 »
I'm waiting too jjoos99

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 22:08:47 »
Jr only has 4.plugs instead of 8 and does not come with the PH probe. It can not have as many modules added to it but if you feel like you need that many modules then you would probably already have the gold version anyway

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 08:36:07 »

Screen shot of a few items that my Apex controls:

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 08:38:16 »

More good stuff:

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 13:20:37 »
Yeah I like that!

Offline frogfish

• Juvenile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 16:40:57 »
I have an Apex Classic and use it to control 5 different systems.  It takes a little studying to understand all it can do, but there are wizards to help and an online support forum that is great.

The difference between the JR. and classic is essentially the number of modules you can add to the jr.  I think it is limited to 7. The modules are additional energy bars (outlets) leak detection modeules, probe modules etc.  so before you get a jr make sure you know what you want so that you can tell if the module limitation is an issue or not.

The new Apex 2016 has two main features that people talk about, there may Ben more I'm not sure.  One is integral wifi capability.  In my classic I have an Ethernet cable running to my router and can then connect to it with wifi on my phone etc.  the other is the ability to monitor amp draw in each outlet. 

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 17:28:40 »
Thank you frogfish

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 21:06:05 »
So will the jr support an 8 outlet energy bar, monitor orp and control ph? I have an older reefkeeper that has an 8 outlet energy bar but not sure if it would work with the jr.
Tks jeff

Offline ironman20725

• Fry
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 21:07:27 »
It will support a 8 outlet bar but it has to be apex.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 22:30:24 »
I broke down and bought an apex classic.  Would love to know what everyone likes to monitor or control with theirs?  I picked it up used and came with 2 ph probes and an orp probe.  I plan on using one probe for my ca reactor and the other for monitoring tank ph.  would like to pick up a pm1 to see what my orp readings are.
thanks
jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 23:29:54 »
Everything I can Jeff.  Even for the things I shut off occasionally, I have switches wired to the apex inputs to handle that, then alarms incase I forget to turn back on.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 09:04:28 »
I was a bit overwhelmed at first but am slowly working through it.  I just put it online yesterday and I have to figure why my heat went to 80.4 last night. 
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 10:11:22 »
Update the firmware, and connect it to Fusion.  You can share your controller read-only on fusion.  Makes it easier for others to help

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 12:57:33 »
I have done that already.  Not sure how to share it but I used the basic prewritten program for heater control and have checked it today and everything seems right.  Not sure why it peaked as high as it did.  It just finished cycling on and off with the program today just fine. 
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 13:27:00 »
When in the dashboard view, select your controller in the top left corner of the page.  Then select authorization.  You can add users and the security level from there.  My username on fusion is wall_tank   (all lower case)

Where is your heater in relation to the temperature sensor?
Is there something else adding heat?
Did your A/C in the house kick off since it cooled down last night?