2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: LED Reef Light Bulb  (Read 2357 times)

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
LED Reef Light Bulb
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:51 »
I recently inherited a 3 Gallon JBJ Picotope and plan on setting it up in my office. I was looking into lighting options, and it seems like one of those LED Light Bulbs that has white and blue LEDs would work well. Does anyone have something like this? Do you like it? Which one did you buy? Any suggestions when shopping for one?

Thanks

Offline guynamedfleck

• Juvenile
Re: LED Reef Light Bulb
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:49:42 »
I run a Deep Blue Professional - SolarFlare mini on my 2.5g desktop setup. I set this tank up as a small frag grow out on my office desk. It has (x1) 6700k 3 watt and (x2) 460nm lunar blues.  It's a great little gooseneck design that can connect to rimmed or rimless tanks. Everything seems to be happy with this setup, but Deep Blue does offer more powerful led configurations in the same style.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 19:29:57 »
Feel like you need about 15-20 watts per sq ft of led. Not a perfect science as things like lens have a meaningful impact. I have 240 watts over 6 sq ft (90 gallon), but I used to have a 160 watt led over all 4' and it did fine. Your tank won't be as deep.  My 160 would produce about 300 par at the top of the tank for sps and 80 at the bottom for Lps. Depends on what you're going to keep to I suppose.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 20:11:32 »
I think it will work. Nice price:)