2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump/Refugium  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Sump/Refugium
« on: March 31, 2017, 15:17:36 »
I picked up a new sump on Craigslist. 48x13x12
I'm looking for ideas on the best layout.  It is seperated into two sides. I would like to have an area with slow flow for chaeto and pods. I have an external pump.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline delta1190

• Adult
Re: Sump/Refugium
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 16:12:51 »
that is a cool shut off float in the middle novel idea

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 13:08:52 »
Keith,
I like the design. The separate flow areas are a great idea! What kind/size of sand are you going to use? Have you ever tried live sand or mud? What are you going to use for lighting the refugium?
Thanks,
Gary

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 15:31:51 »
Before i comment do you have another tank for top off, heaters, dosing, probes, reactor in/out etc or are you wanting that to hold all?

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 19:46:40 »
Keith,
I like the design. The separate flow areas are a great idea! What kind/size of sand are you going to use? Have you ever tried live sand or mud? What are you going to use for lighting the refugium?
Thanks,
Gary
Very fine sand and plan on using a 165w led black box for chaeto

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 19:53:29 »
Before i comment do you have another tank for top off, heaters, dosing, probes, reactor in/out etc or are you wanting that to hold all?
I have two options I could use. I have a 20 gallon tank that I could use or a Aqeon proflex 3 sump that could be used.  It had s 2 filter socks and 3 chambers.  It is what I an currently using.  It is drilled for external pump. My original thoughts were to hane the water run through the proflex first to utilize the filter socks as well as are for heaters.  I have a seperate container that I will be using for auto top off.  I can use it with gravity and float switch or  I can continue using my Tunze ato

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 20:05:43 »
You will have to have your ATO be very tightly controlled to keep your skimmer in with the return pump like you have shownI have never seen flow directed like that from a siphon overflow, I am struggling with how you will get it directed down that slow flow pipe.  I personally would pump it over there to completely control the amount of flow, but if you can make it work for free, even better!  Hoping to learn something here.  It is a very nice sump!

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 20:38:46 »
You will have to have your ATO be very tightly controlled to keep your skimmer in with the return pump like you have shownI have never seen flow directed like that from a siphon overflow, I am struggling with how you will get it directed down that slow flow pipe.  I personally would pump it over there to completely control the amount of flow, but if you can make it work for free, even better!  Hoping to learn something here.  It is a very nice sump!
I hadn't thought of the water height issue for the skimmer . This is the proflex sump that I am currently using.  I could have the water come through this first and then the long sump or  visa versa.  Thank you

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 07:28:21 »
Thanks for the suggestions about the skimmer. I have changed the layout. It has the low flow for the refugium coming off of the return pump through a gate valve so I can control the flow and then it gravity feeds back to the sump. This will keep pods from going into the socks or through the skimmer. Again, please feel free to give suggestions.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:52:34 »
It looks like a good design to me. The only change I would consider is feeding first sump from display and gravity feed to second one. No need to feed it from ext pump (loop). Lastly is remove rock from the first chamber. It will catch your dosing chemicals and precipitate. Having nothing in chamber with good flow from display should mix it well. (Can add Koralia if you find you need it)

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 16:01:12 »

If I am understanding correctly,  I should have all of the flow from the display go through the longer  refugium first and then gravity to where the socks are and then to the pump? Will that be to much flow for the refugium?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 16:14:31 by Keith92 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 17:22:23 »
I like it. One other option for you is to dose in last chamber where heaters are in pic. You could put koralia in there as well. Then you can have rock back in that first chamber. Dosing in last chamber is good because probes are up stream. It alows the salts to mix well before getting the reading on probe. Same for temp probe by measuring water temp as it returns.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 17:45:16 »
Heaters in the final pump chamber have a possibility of running dry. I would be apprehensive putting them there.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 17:56:40 »
Good point on the heaters  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 18:04:38 »
Looks good but I would only do 1 chamber of chaeto and the other with different types of macro algae

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 17:51:12 »
Great idea Chris

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 10:20:07 »
Yeah Its easy to neglect the Sump but if you have some nice macro algae growing out it gives you a reason to take better care