2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Those without controllers  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Those without controllers
« on: May 05, 2020, 21:08:50 »
Do you use anything like a dual temperature controller?  Something that will kick on a fan if tank gets to hot and kicks on heater when to cold

Something like an inkbird ITC308 or a digiten lcd dual temp controller?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Those without controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 21:30:47 »
I use the inkbird and have no complaints.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 21:34:50 »
Classic apex controllers have come way down in price and almost a no brainer if you dont need the newer apex that is required to use the triton water tester.  For the cost of a temp controller and various timers you probably arent far from the price of a used apex controller.
Jeff

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 21:40:56 »
With the inkbird is yours the dual controller one (heat and cooling)?  Any issues with the metal/titanium probe that goes into the water?

I don’t know much about the apex controllers or what even to look for or what a good rice on a classic apex would be - I will have to do some research

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 22:26:22 »
With the inkbird is yours the dual controller one (heat and cooling)?  Any issues with the metal/titanium probe that goes into the water?

I don’t know much about the apex controllers or what even to look for or what a good rice on a classic apex would be - I will have to do some research

Yes it does heating and cooling as needed but I only use the heater. When it gets too hot, the audible alert is very loud. You can adjust your set temp and alert temp. Lazy is probably right about the apex classic units, I personally have not yet looked into that option.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 13:45:18 »
I use a Ranco temp controller. It has both a heat and cool outlet. Cool side used to kick on a fan when I used metal halide. I do have the probe in a plastic bag because I had aluminum issues (icp test). Once I did that the aluminum went away. It may have been Tin issue. I don’t recall