2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Heater in Remora?  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Heater in Remora?
« on: August 01, 2006, 20:45:36 »
I want to get my heater out of the tank, and wondered if I could stow it away inside of my Remora skimmer. Does anyone think this would be a problem?

BobbyC

Re: Heater in Remora?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 20:55:25 »
interesting idea.  How would you get your collection cup to seat properly with the cord running through the top?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 21:08:38 »
I allready did it. I ran the cord out of the water outlet and so far so good. I also attached a surface skimmer from an Aquaclear filter, and it is also working very well. I've read the surface skimmer increases the performance of the skimmer by 20%.

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 21:13:44 »
Guess you answered your own question  ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 21:22:27 »
Keep us up to date on how it works out. Maybe you could patent it!!

BobbyC

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 21:27:36 »
I allready did it. I ran the cord out of the water outlet and so far so good. I also attached a surface skimmer from an Aquaclear filter, and it is also working very well. I've read the surface skimmer increases the performance of the skimmer by 20%.

i didn't think of that, good job.

do you have a pic of the surface skimmer?  I would have like to have been able to have done that since I don't have an overflow.  sometimes my surface would scum up.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 21:41:38 »
I don't think it is anything I can patent OR  ^-^. I will try to get a pic Bobby, but my camera isn't so good. I found this mod on RC, but had to make it work out of parts I had. You can do anything with a Dremel. ;D

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 21:50:58 »
I don't think my camera will get the shot Bobby. The only thing you have to do is come up with a coupler to attach the surface skimmer hose to the inlet of your Maxijet pump. Another question for you Bobby how often did you clean the skimmer injector?

BobbyC

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 22:06:10 »
I don't think my camera will get the shot Bobby. The only thing you have to do is come up with a coupler to attach the surface skimmer hose to the inlet of your Maxijet pump. Another question for you Bobby how often did you clean the skimmer injector?

Ummm, never :-[

I tried a few times to turn the nylon screw but it was so tight that I was afraid of breaking the injector or stripping the head.  So I just left it.  You may get some really good results if you can clean it.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 22:08:43 »
I have read other threads that said the same thing about the injector screw. Now I just gotta figure out how to extract it. ???

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 23:13:30 »
only concern would be heater touching the side and melting it

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 23:26:56 »
Thats what I was unsure of. I am not real familiar with acrylic. It is touching the bottom of the skimmer. Will it really melt it?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 09:23:20 »
i have melted rubbermaid tubs while heating water before.  acrylic is a plastic and will melt.

test it put some acrylic in water put the heater on it (i would do this outside)  leave it for a couple of days.  maybe once it cools down so the heater actually runs. (to hot now)  does the heater melt it....

when you set a heater at 82 the heater does not run at 82....its gets HOT!  like really hot hot hot...

another option is a titanium heater with remote.  you can hide those much easier and can be placed in a tank at any angle

BobbyC

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 13:48:25 »
only concern would be heater touching the side and melting it

i thought about that but what do people with acrylic tanks do?  someone on here must have one and be able to comment.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 14:45:14 »
i put a titanium heater in my acyrlic sump...because you could lay it down

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 15:02:00 »
I checked it this afternoon, and it seemed to have no adverse effect as of yet. Th water is steady at 78.5 degrees.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 17:08:49 »
i have had two 300w heaters in my old acrylic sump.  one glass and one titanium.  i never had any issues with melting the acrylic.  in the new sump, they are between two baffles and no problems yet.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 20:49:18 »
Thats good to know :). The same applies here.