2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got a real skimmer!  (Read 2770 times)

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Got a real skimmer!
« on: September 05, 2009, 19:53:35 »
Starting a new thread just because I can  ;D

I got a Vertex IN-100 and it's up and running.  I swear I feel like I'm runnin' with the big dogs these days, all this big equipment.  It's just beginning to skim some gorpy looking stuff.  I got it in about 3 pm today.  I did the vinegar and water break-in that I've read about someplace (2 hrs worth).  I had to assemble it inside the sump because the entire thing won't go in all put together.  I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to get the cup out without tipping it over, but we'll see.  I now know why people build their own tank stands...this stock All Glass pine stand is a design nightmare equipment wise.

Now for some real skimmer etiquette questions.

I've seen such things as people turning their skimmer off when they feed - yes or no?
How about additives?

Anything else I should know other than yes, I know I have to empty the cup when it gets full.  I'm not looking forward to "real" skimmer gorp, being as I have a very sensitive nose and I see posts all the time about how horrible skimmate smells.  My BakPak got some fairly decent skimmate at times but it never was nasty smelling, just mildly unpleasant.  Sounds like I'm in for a treat. 
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
Re: Got a real skimmer!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 20:00:52 »
Starting a new thread just because I can  ;D

I got a Vertex IN-100 and it's up and running.  I swear I feel like I'm runnin' with the big dogs these days, all this big equipment.  It's just beginning to skim some gorpy looking stuff.  I got it in about 3 pm today.  I did the vinegar and water break-in that I've read about someplace (2 hrs worth).  I had to assemble it inside the sump because the entire thing won't go in all put together.  I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be able to get the cup out without tipping it over, but we'll see.  I now know why people build their own tank stands...this stock All Glass pine stand is a design nightmare equipment wise.

Now for some real skimmer etiquette questions.

I've seen such things as people turning their skimmer off when they feed - yes or no?
How about additives?

Anything else I should know other than yes, I know I have to empty the cup when it gets full.  I'm not looking forward to "real" skimmer gorp, being as I have a very sensitive nose and I see posts all the time about how horrible skimmate smells.  My BakPak got some fairly decent skimmate at times but it never was nasty smelling, just mildly unpleasant.  Sounds like I'm in for a treat. 
If it dont stink it aint doin its job!!  Ahh thats a good stand all you have to do is take the front brace off and put your sump in plenty of room right  :laugh:

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 20:02:34 »
i keep mine on all the time. if i feed corals i shut down the sump (shut off drain and return pump but keep skimmer on) and just and let my display powerheads circulate whatever i feed them.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 20:08:09 »
Harley, we had the center brace off for about 2 weeks.  The first few days, I could hardly sleep at night thinking the entire thing was going to crash.

As it turns out, we got the sump in finally (long wait for the overflow) and put the brace back on.  Well, I gotta tell you, the front board had sagged down about 1/8 or so inch in that time, so eventually something bad *might* have happened.  But we got it shimmed back up and it's nailed in place again. 

Jeremy:  what about feeding fish? 

Here's another question along those lines.  Do you feed every day?

-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 20:17:59 »
even though all the weight is in the corners ::), im glad you got that brace back where it belongs, your sleepin better right! ;D

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 20:19:17 »
i dont turn it off when i feed fish.  no i dont feed corals every day like 2-3 times a week.

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 20:22:22 »
but i have been feeding rods reef so i may start to kill the sump since it feeds fish and corals

Reefd Up

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 20:23:42 »
You shouldn't turn your skimmer off unless you're dosing medication (and the skimmer would just take the medication out.)  Your skimmer will act funky while you feed (usually will not produce any skimmate for a while.)  

Feeding schedules should vary according to livestock.  For example, some fish need to be fed twice a day...others can manage with only 3 times per week.  Some corals need to be fed (non-photosynthetic), so that'll factor in too.  I personally feed only 3x per week since I have low-maintenance fish...but I do have a dendrophyllia coral.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 20:39:39 »
I have chromis, which are the fish equivalent of Golden Retrievers when it comes to food.  Every time I get near the tank they practically beat themselves to death to be the first to get food. :laugh:  I also have a percula who is more laid back. 

We've been feeding every day so far.  I use frozen brine one day, Emerald Entree the next and then maybe some mysis once a week and then I target feed the lobo with that, too.
-Steph
--------------

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 20:52:03 »
even though all the weight is in the corners ::), im glad you got that brace back where it belongs, your sleepin better right! ;D

The weight is in the corners sunshine, but some of it is distributed thru the rest of the stand.

I see her tank didn't fall down, crash and burn the moment she removed the brace   ::)

I never turn off the skimmer. Its best to get it setup, and leave it be. I do turn off everything else when I feed. Mainly because its all on the same powerstrip. I also have several corals I have to hand feed, like my Dendro, and Sun coral.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 21:04:39 »
 :moon i got your sunshine ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 21:31:00 »
:moon i got your sunshine ;D

LMAO. Nice :D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 19:08:24 »
you shouldnt leave your skimmer alone it should be adjusted once a week if not more often things change inside them (build up in pumps, airlines, inlets, and outlets) and that changes the way it skims. If you dont adjust it you wont be skimming as effictivley as you could.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 19:51:41 »
you shouldnt leave your skimmer alone it should be adjusted once a week if not more often things change inside them (build up in pumps, airlines, inlets, and outlets) and that changes the way it skims. If you dont adjust it you wont be skimming as effictivley as you could.

I disagree.

I'm not familiar with her skimmer.

But mine has large inlets, outlets, and the air line can't get clogged. So setting it, letting it slime up, gets me the best results. So I guess it depends on the skimmer.

So for a larger skimmer, adjusting it is not needed, and doesn't net the best skimmate.

slandis3

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 20:03:30 »
I disagree.

I'm not familiar with her skimmer.

But mine has large inlets, outlets, and the air line can't get clogged. So setting it, letting it slime up, gets me the best results. So I guess it depends on the skimmer.

So for a larger skimmer, adjusting it is not needed, and doesn't net the best skimmate.

I will disagree with you. I have a reeflo 200 and i adjust it at least once a week. My skimmer has 3/8" air line and yes it can get clogged. Piece of dirt gets sucked in there and guess what, you are not pulling as much as before. As you get more build up on the neck of the skimmer it will also restrict the water level there.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 20:18:57 »
I will disagree with you. I have a reeflo 200 and i adjust it at least once a week. My skimmer has 3/8" air line and yes it can get clogged. Piece of dirt gets sucked in there and guess what, you are not pulling as much as before. As you get more build up on the neck of the skimmer it will also restrict the water level there.

There in lies the issue with the reef hobby. Everyones setup is different. I have never had a clog or issue with my skimmer. My 3/8 air line never clogs, ever. My skimmers level almost never changes. I clean the neck and cup about once a month. I empty my skimmate bucket every 2-3 weeks, as it fills. I also skim very dry.

So as I stated in another thread. Read, listen, research, and do what sounds best for you, in your own setup.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 21:52:28 »
There in lies the issue with the reef hobby. Everyones setup is different. I have never had a clog or issue with my skimmer. My 3/8 air line never clogs, ever. My skimmers level almost never changes. I clean the neck and cup about once a month. I empty my skimmate bucket every 2-3 weeks, as it fills. I also skim very dry.

So as I stated in another thread. Read, listen, research, and do what sounds best for you, in your own setup.

"There in lies the issue with the reef hobby" is something that we must have in order to get all the views/opinions that are the basis of the knowledge of the hobby. Like you say, read, LISTEN, research! And I will add=debate.

I turn off pumps and hydors when I feed. At least once a day for fish, (Rods Reef) and some coral that eat Cyclopees/oyster eggs; Target feed anemonies,Brains plate/fungia (silverside/krill) 1-2x a wk. Phytoplankton 1-2x a wk after lights out pumps-hydors off briefly then on.

Skim--one wk out of 4. Skimmer off while while feeding and phyto.
It works for me for now. ;D
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 08:06:06 »
I have a large euro reef and salt deposits will build up in any ones airlines if not kept cleaned.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 12:09:12 »
I'm pretty sure this Vertex will require tweaking from time to time.  I'll just learn it as I go.  It's doing some skimming now, and the foam is fairly dry at this point.  But even topping off water makes a difference to the foam head level with this skimmer.   I have about 1/2 inch of greenish liquid in there and scum is forming up the sides. 

One thing I've learned over the years is that nothing about reef keeping is dogmatic.  It's one of the interesting and frustrating and liberating things about keeping SW tanks, I guess.  All rolled into one.
-Steph
--------------

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:16:13 »
this is kind of a long thread from several months ago that has lots of great information about skimmers, how to set them up and tips on maintaining them.

The suggestion to "set it up and leave it alone" or what ever it was is horrible advise.

Take some time to read through this, it has some great and accurate information.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=5106.0

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 12:53:50 »
Thank you, Joel.  Very interesting discussion. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 13:10:00 by ~reefchik~ »
-Steph
--------------

Offline fishnuttoo

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 12:55:42 »
thats a nice skimmer, when i upgrade from my euro, thats the one i want.  how much was it?  what pump did u get, and was it extra.  we want pics and plenty of updates ;D

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 13:20:44 »
I clean my collection cup about once a week and never have to adjust it just spray it out with the hose real good and wipe down the cone part of the neck with a papertowel and it works like a charm i have not had an issue with any buildup in my airline but do have some salt thats starting to build up in my silencer.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 13:58:01 »
thats a nice skimmer, when i upgrade from my euro, thats the one i want.  how much was it?  what pump did u get, and was it extra.  we want pics and plenty of updates ;D

Why sure  ;D

Guess I could have cleaned the glass off a bit before taking the photo.  The water goes through the refugium before it gets to my skimmer.  Now that I've read the thread Joel pointed to, I wish there had been another option for doing a direct feed to the skimmer when I set it up.  I will have to hope that the stuff in the refugium as it matures will do what it's supposed to and the net result will be good.

-Steph
--------------

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 14:01:47 »
looks nice

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 14:12:27 »
I clean my collection cup about once a week and never have to adjust it just spray it out with the hose real good and wipe down the cone part of the neck with a papertowel and it works like a charm i have not had an issue with any buildup in my airline but do have some salt thats starting to build up in my silencer.

The instructions with this one say to clean out the airline every so often to prevent salt blockage.  What's the silencer?
-Steph
--------------

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 14:22:06 »
The instructions with this one say to clean out the airline every so often to prevent salt blockage.  What's the silencer?

Look inside the top of the tube where the airline hooks in at.   They hook it in there to silence the sound of the venturi, there may be some salt creep up there.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:20 »
No problem on the the link to the old thread, I hope it had some useful information for you.

It is very important to keep your skimmer dialed in correctly. Keeping your venturi (the nipple where air in pulled into your pump / skimmer) cleaned out is very important. Salt Creep and calcium deposits will build up and can eventually completely clog it. Dust and debris in the air also add to clogging this area to restrict air further. If you have a silencer, they are notorious for getting air borne debris in them that will restrict air flow. All need checked  / cleaned regularly to keep them operating at their best. I will take a warm cup of ro / di water and put the air inlet tube into the water to let it suck clean the water thru the tube and venturi to help clean them out. I do this one or two time per week and completely brake them down monthly or so. Soaking your pump or air inlets in vingar monthly or so does great at getting the deposits cleaned up too.

Your skimmer is heavily influenced by the water level (depth) in your sump. This is why you see a change in your skimmers performance when you add water. The problem your faced with is the skimmer is not in a situation where it has an absolutely constant water level it is sitting in. When evaporation happens and the water level drops a little in your sump, the water & foam level in your skimmer drops also, ditto for the opposite, you top off your sump, the water level raises in your skimmer as well and may cause it to foam over. This happens because of the pressure (gravity) working against your pump. The further your pump has to push water above the water level in your sump, the harder is has to work and the less Volume it moves. In other words, if your skimmer is sitting is 8" of water and you adjust your skimmer to work optimally at that depth it can produce pretty well,  then evaporation drops the water level in your sump an inch or so, your pump is no longer pushing water up as high into the skimmer body, so it doesn't produce skimate as well (or at all). With your current set up, checking and possibly adding water daily to keep a constant water level will help or adjusting your skimmer daily or so to compensate for the water level in your sump will work. (kind of a PINA though)

If I can help additionally, ask away, happy to help where I can...

Joel

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 12:53:56 »
Yes, it sure is a pain hauling water up each day.  Now I can see why so many people rig up automatic top offs.

Then again, I guess it's good exercise, and it forces me to take a good look at the sump and skimmer at least once a day so I know everything is working as it should.

I appreciate all the help.  Good information, Joel.
-Steph
--------------

Offline fishnuttoo

• Fry
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 04:36:49 »
nice skimmer, thats my next one......

link i found comparing skimmers @ pa

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1644119

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 11:25:50 »
 :'( 

Well, the warnings about the pumps on the Vertex are warranted.  I thought by getting the Gen 2, I'd be safe, but I guess not.  I got back from my Fla. trip last week to find the skimmer had quit.  I called Premium Aquatics about it and he helped me figure out it was the stem on the impeller that seized up (known issue).  He was supposed to have a new one sent out "right away" and here I sit a week later, no impeller.  No skimmer.

-Steph
--------------

Offline fishnuttoo

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 12:33:00 »
sorry to hear about that....

call and talk to jeremy, great with working with customers..  they usually will put it int the mail the next buisness day...

was yours ver 1 or 2

just bought ver 2 in100, will fire it up this weekend, new sump, new skimmer............

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 12:40:03 »
I did talk to Jeremy.  I'm about to call him again now. 

If you don't have problems with the pump, I bet you will love the skimmer.  It really does a great job. 
-Steph
--------------

Offline fishnuttoo

• Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 23:16:12 »
post on how things turn out....

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 00:48:11 »
I guess my phone call *reminded* them to send out the new impeller because it got here today.  Bless being in UPS first zone to Indy!

Only - guess what?   ::)

The pump is deader than a doornail.  I guess it went too long trying to turn the seized up impeller.  I'm not surprised at the pump croaking, but I am surprised that Jason didn't expect it to be.  I have an email in to them now and will follow up with yet another call tomorrow.
-Steph
--------------