2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Would this be a decent lighting setup?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Would this be a decent lighting setup?
« on: September 28, 2006, 15:14:44 »
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. My question is about my lighting idea. About a week ago I purchased a 110watt power compact lighting fixture for my 20 gallon long wannabe reef which currently has a 36watt T-5 Coralife fixture. I was thinking about making a custom canopy out of wood in which I would take the guts from both light fixtures and combine them in to one light fixture. Does this sound like a good idea? The total wattage would be 146watts with 1=10k 18watt T-5, 1=460nm 18watt actinic, and 2=50/50 55watt pc bulbs. I don't want to worry about wether I can keep a certain soft, or LPS coral or not. With this lighting setup be sufficient?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Would this be a decent lighting setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 15:29:45 »
I would think that would be enough for most sofites and LPS. Would probably be sufficient for SPS and clams as well.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 15:31:09 »
That would be sweet.

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 15:33:41 »
i would think you could keep about anything in a 12inch deep 20g tank with that lighting.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 15:34:00 »
That would be sweet.

Don't necessarily take my word for it, that's just my opinion. Get a few opinions and then make your own decision. That's one thing I've learned about this hobby, there are as many opinions as the day is long!! You just have to listen to them and then make an educated decision.

Simpte

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 15:45:25 »
From my experience (and it is very limited) you could keep most softies and lps.  Maybe a few sps.  I don't think clams would be healthy under it.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 15:54:36 »
Thanks everybody for the replies I am gonna start building tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 16:03:39 »
I think a lower light clam such as a squamosa would probably do fine.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 21:38:04 »
i dont think the powercompacts put off enough PAR for most clams. if you were to do any clam id do a deresa... as far as sps you can do anything montipora and pocillipora(let me know if you want any frags, ive got orange monti cap, orange monti digitata, green monti cap, green monti digitata, brown moni digitata, 3 or 4 color varites of pocillipora, etc, etc...) and of course you need to keep good water quality as aways ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 21:42:49 »
I kept a large clam under PC lighting when I had my 55 set up.  I was told it was a blue max. It came with the stocked tank when I bought it. It looked like a blue max to me but I don't know if it really was. It was a  large clam I would say about 5 inches at least.  I wouldn't suggest doing that, but I know I kept one.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 23:25:30 »
Sounds great, and I will take you up on that offer illnino as soon as everything is running smoothly. I am also wanting to set up a sump/fuge on this tank. My thoughts are as soon as I go bigger this system will be a good frag tank. Does anyone have a decent overflow they would like to get rid of? I have a ten gallon that I am going to make into a sump/fuge just need an overflow, and return pump. Thanks again everybody.

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 09:40:30 »
I think that I have a Tidepool II style of overflow around here somewhere.  They're not the best but is it something that you'd be interested in?
Dayton - 45459

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 15:18:32 »
Actually I am wanting the weir style overflow so that it takes up as little space as possible in the tank. Thanks anyway though, I really do appreciate it.