2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How many baffles?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
How many baffles?
« on: October 08, 2006, 20:44:01 »
Does anyone have any opinions about how many baffles to put in a 10 gallon sump/fuge. I want three chambers first being for skimmer, and overflow, second being fuge, and the third being for the return pump. I didn't know if I should have 2, or 3 baffles between 1st, and 2nd chamber. All suggestions welcome.

Offline Slicktrax

Re: How many baffles?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 21:19:28 »
simple overflow from chamber one to chamber two.  a set of baffles from chamber two to chamber three.  mine is set up with the fuge getting unskimmed water.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 21:44:43 »
One of my main concerns was micro bubbles from the Remora skimmer. The micro bubbles won't screw up my fuge?

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 21:59:02 »
One of my main concerns was micro bubbles from the Remora skimmer. The micro bubbles won't screw up my fuge?

Not that I'm aware. 

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 22:13:11 »
So a single divider from 1 to2, and a two baffles from 2 to 3?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 22:35:10 »
Also how tall should I have the baffles cut. I was thinking 9 3/4 inches tall. The overall height of the tank is 12 inches. Does this sound ok. I know that the water level change will take place in the sump and not the main tank, so how will that work if the level drops in the sump below 9 3/4 inches then will the main tank level drop? That might be a stupid question, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:02:23 »
personally, i would not have my refug and sump in one tank. I like to be able to have a lower amount of flow through my refug than my sump. i would recommend letting the refug get "dirty" water like Slicktrax said. With that being said, if you are going to have them together then check out the way mark uses a "bubble tower" at http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html notice the intake chamber and how he cuts teeth in the bottom of the tower.

good luck.

post some pics when you get going.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:36:00 »
here is another link from melev that answers a lot of questions.  i used his pages for the basis on my sump.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:06:48 »
Thanks for the links guys, I have seen that sump before and would like to incorporate that bubble tower into my design, but I wouldn't know how to cut the teeth out of the glass I will be having made for the sump?

Offline cbell

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:07:46 »
i would use acrylic for the baffles if i were you.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 10:18:36 »
Thanks for the links guys, I have seen that sump before and would like to incorporate that bubble tower into my design, but I wouldn't know how to cut the teeth out of the glass I will be having made for the sump?

the teeth really are there to keep larger objects from getting sucked into the return.  you could get the same effect by using solid pieces and raising the tower.  this would leave a small gap around the entire bottom of the tower.  i think the only drawback would be stability.  without the support on the bottom, the bubble tower not have enough support to hold its shape.  are you planning on converting a ten gallon glass tank or building from scratch?