2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Clam Advice and Recommendations  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Clam Advice and Recommendations
« on: June 10, 2020, 16:52:21 »
I'm considering a clam as the next addition to the 125 gallon tank. I wanted to get the clubs experiences with clams. If you like them then which kind have you had good experience with?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Clam Advice and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 20:55:53 »
Also curious to hear experiences.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 22:56:59 »
Keith
  I have an ultra blue maxima that I have had for about a year now.  From my experience they can be tough to keep.  I have had several before this one and they havent lived long.  If you get one make sure that they are FULLY open and reacting to any movement, even moving your hand above them out of the water will block the light enough they will react to it.  Mine has not been its best lately and I have a feeling it might be the 0 phosphates that I have been fighting for awhile now.  I have it under maybe 300-400 par and in high flow with my sps in my frag system.  Be careful with their foot if it is attached to something.  If you tear it your are asking for trouble.  I placed mine in a bowl with several larger chunks of rock and let it attach to one and now if I need to move it I just move around the rock along with the clam.  I also try to keep it fully submersed any time I move it around just to keep it from being exposed to air.  They can be pretty tough critters.  I was thinking mine had what is called pinched mantel and from the reading I did the treatment was a 30 minute dip in fresh water.  I dipped mine and the it was no worst off from being in fresh water for 30 minutes.  Try that with anything else we keep!  I am hoping mine turns around now that I am adding phosphates to me system and have my skimmer shut down for a part of the day.  where are you planning on getting one from?
Jeff

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 06:55:05 »
I called Cincinnati coral but they do not have any.  I was thinking of going to Matt's Corals in Columbus. 
I have just begun the research but from what I have read I think you are correct about the phosphates in your tank. Also the flow may be to high. Most of what I have read suggests moderate flow.
Did you buy a larger clam? The suggestion was to buy a 3" or more for stability.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:34:43 »
I believe mine was 2-3 in when I got it. Going by Brian’s advise he said that clams are collected in very high flow areas. In fact he said that they many times have to tie themselves down from being carried away by the currents.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:49 »
Maxima clams like high flow. Dr Mac at Pacific East who has a maxima clam farm said that they have to tie the collection divers to the boat because current is so high.  I only have experience with maxima but have had best luck in highest flow of reef
Best advice I can give is only buy a clam that has been in captivity for a minimum of 3 months and is 100% open and reactive to light. After waving had over it should immediately open back up