2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: SPS Growth  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
SPS Growth
« on: April 19, 2008, 17:10:36 »
Ok guys/gals, is this normal growth or is this pretty lame growth the first picture was taken with my cell phone so hopefully the quality isn't to bad.  I'm just trying to get an idea if this is the growth I should be expecting or if my SPS frags are growing way slower than they should.  I guess I should mention the first picture was taken February 9th the second was taken on April 18th. Thanks for all input and I appreciate your honesty  ;D.  The first picture is when it was in my 55 gallon now it is in my 90, it seems to be more brown now when I first received it was almost black.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 17:30:01 by Riderc82 »

MechanicalEngineer

Re: SPS Growth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 18:52:38 »
I think it looks like great growth!  Some corals grow faster than others...keep that in mind.  Before this month, my growth was pretty slow, but now that I'm keeping up with the Ca, Mg, and Alk, you can pretty much watch stuff grow.  Growth is an exponential thing too, as it gets bigger, it'll have more room for growth tips all over. 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 22:54:29 »
Thanks Nikki, I was going to post the frags I got from you a couple of months ago but my digital camera is horrible.  I figured that way we could compare the growth I'm getting vs what you were getting.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 00:18:09 »
Remind me what you got from me again?  I have a bad memory!

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:19:34 »
I bought the hot pink monti, one of the purple caps and some zoanthids. I bought them in early March.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 20:00:11 »
Ok Nikki, hopefully this link will work you will see two of your old frags here
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/riderc82/
Also does anyone know what the frag is in the second picture?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 22:47:44 »
Looks good!  The frag is probably still too small to tell.  If no one can help you positively ID it yet, wait until it takes on some more form.  Form helps with ID a lot.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 20:16:12 »
Here's a new picture they are starting to grow

apelaston

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 22:13:55 »
omg that neon green coral is awesome..MSUJen has a small frag in her tank that has black sand...that will look great when it grows out for her as well..

nice coral selection!

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 16:23:34 »
The green one is a green slimmer, I think it's growing pretty good but I'm worried about the brown acro beside it they are both on the same plug I purchased it that way.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 23:09:32 »
The green one is a green slimmer, I think it's growing pretty good but I'm worried about the brown acro beside it they are both on the same plug I purchased it that way.

You can use bone cutters to separate the two corals. Just cut the green slimmer from its base and attach it to another rock or frag plug and you should be fine.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 21:27:16 »
I've been watching the two and they don't seem to be doing any harm to one another.  How likely is it that they will sting each other if they are already touching at the base and they haven't done any damage to each other?  I guess my question is once the branches touch are they more likely to kill each other?  They have been touching at the base on the plug for about two months.