2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tax time question  (Read 396 times)

Offline Viggen

Tax time question
« on: February 28, 2008, 15:54:06 »
So is it really that difficult to do taxes myself?  I have payed my accountant to do it for many years.... Do any of you do your taxes yourself online so the money is electronically transfered?

What programs do you use?

300g tub o fish

Offline aquavista99

Re: Tax time question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 17:46:17 »
If you are asking for tax advice on a reef club site, then I would say you may want to keep your accountant, unless your taxes are simple (IE, your return would be considered simple if you are employed, receive a W2 and do not itemize your deductions. ).

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 18:25:06 »
We do our own taxes, including Just Coral's all with Turbo Tax. It's pretty easy.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 18:54:51 »
taxes are impossible to prepare on your own.  everyone needs a professional (like me) to prepare them.  ;)

all that aside, i believe the majority of taxpayers should do their own returns.  too many people really do not know how much they really pay in tax but they do know how much they are getting back.  since the inception of withholding taxes from paychecks, most people do not care how much they pay in taxes.  it is one of the greatest ways to hide the true tax from taxpayers.  depending on your personal issues and comfort level you may be very capable of preparing your own return.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 20:44:22 »
I've always done my own taxes since I never get back enough to pay a professional.  First starting, I used TurboTax, but found it to be waaaay too complicated for what I was doing.  Now, I just sit down with the paper ones...so I can make mistakes, then go online and type it out. 

I will say, I've had some pretty crazy taxes before.  One year, I was self employed (oh yeah...that's a  FUUUN one), had social security paychecks (another FUUUN one), tuition, business expenses, itemized deductions, etc.  It was horrible, but I still managed to do them on my own. 

It really depends how patient, calm, determined, and good with simple math you are.  If your time isn't worth it, pay a pro (Like Slicktrax!)   ;D

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 23:21:28 »
If you are asking for tax advice on a reef club site, then I would say you may want to keep your accountant, unless your taxes are simple (IE, your return would be considered simple if you are employed, receive a W2 and do not itemize your deductions. ).

Actually, I was asking on a reef website due to knowing there is at least 1 accountant on here & a few people that run their own business. 

I just have school tuition to deduct & taxes from my house.  That's it....
300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:15:55 »
I have been using TaxCut by H&R Block for years. We deduct our house and Charlotte's tuition, but the standard deduction is usually higher for us. The software is very easy to use. You just answer questions and it prompts you for the required info.

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 22:46:37 »
here is my only plug for myself or any other worthwhile tax professional out there.  you only get what you pay for.  any professional worth their fee will provide service beyond the return itself, just call and ask a question.  i pride myself on being available continually throughout the year for questions and planning.  preparing a tax return is simple, planning for the future is hard.  i prefer planning for the hard part of planning. 
That one guy who used to be on all the time......