2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 2000 Honda Accord Transmisson Problems  (Read 2885 times)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
2000 Honda Accord Transmisson Problems
« on: January 14, 2010, 21:17:07 »
Anyone have a 6th gen Honda Accord? My transmission popped out of gear Sunday and has been slipping ever since. It doesn't slip once the engine warms up. It coded when it popped, had the code read and reset it, hasn't shown back up yet. These cars are known for this problem, wondering if anyone else has had it happen. Sucks because I just bought it 2 months ago to replace my old one that I loved.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

Re: 2000 Honda Accord Transmisson Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 21:26:03 »
its a foriegn car blow it up and than  buy american  and it will be better lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 22:14:24 »
What did the code say? What gear did it pop out of, and were you accelerating, and at what throttle position?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 22:16:52 by Secondgen »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 22:16:46 »
P0780 - Shift Control System Fault

Fluid level is fine, also
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 22:18:45 »
What gear did it pop out of? Where you accelerating, or decelerating? At what throttle position does this occur?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 22:26:10 »
What gear did it pop out of? Where you accelerating, or decelerating? At what throttle position does this occur?

I can't tell for certain that it popped out of gear, It may have just failed to shift. I was stopped and began to accelerate out of my parking lot when check engine light lit, my 'D4' indicator light began flashing and I limped across the street to another parking lot. Put the car in park, turned it off, turned it on and it was fine, other than the slipping.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 22:31:13 »
It sounds like you might of had contamination in one of you valves, or a solenoid is sticking. What color is your fluid, and does it smell burnt?

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 22:35:33 »
Brown-ish. A little darker than it should be. Didn't smell it. I am going to do a flush, but I apparently have to go to a dealer to get fluid...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 22:40:48 »
There was some big class action lawsuit about this a few years ago. I'm of course not eligible anymore. Something with an internal filter clogging and making the clutch packs over heat. Any idea how much a trans from the junkyard would cost? How much of a pain is it to install myself? I'm not looking forward to a $3000 repair on a $2000 car.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 22:51:52 »
I have read some pretty bad stuff on what flushs can cause.  I would say bring it to a shop just to find out what it is.

Davidson's import in Fairborn is really honest, I had a coworker reccomend him to me. He got the guys honda to 275,000.

At least he could tell you whats wrong and then you can decide to live with the slipping or an estimate of what/$ it will cost.

I had him look at and quote my AC repair.  I held out as long as i could, but i ended up going back to him 3 months later to actually get it fixed.  He did it in a single day for $200 less than his quote.

Just pray its a $5 solenoid like mine was  ;)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Reefd Up

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 22:53:23 »
I'd seriously do some research on a tranny flush before you do it.  I had slipping in my Mustang tranny...and a flush immediately killed it the rest of the way.  If the particles get trapped in the valve body, whatever,...it's done.  I'm sure the better car nuts on here can talk more about it.  I just know I regret it.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 23:02:25 »
The bad thing about the Honda transmission design is that you cannot change the filter without completely tearing the cases apart. I work for a Honda reman shop doing their market analysis, and in-car testing. I have done alot of installs on Accords, TL's, MDX, Odysseys, and Civics, and though none of them are that bad to work on you need the proper equipment for the job. The trans is designed to be dropped out the bottom of the car so a lift, frame jack, and transmission jack are a must to make this job manageable. At the very least I would do a fluid change, and not a flush.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:24:05 »
the bad thing about flush is that the filter didnt get change and its mostlikely cloged thats y most trans go out after haveing one
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 16:27:46 »
Hey JD, I looked into your problem today at work without knowing all the specifics. You can change both the shift, and the linear solenoids on the outside of your trans, and it might do the trick. These solenoids control most of the shifting functions on this transmission. They are the double solenoids on the outside of the tranny. One should be located on the top of the trans by the motor, and the other will be hanging on the side toward the middle of the case. I am not sure about the retail cost of these solenoids. If your trans still acts up after you change these pieces, then the problem will be internal. Hope this helps you out a little. The part names are shift solenoid A assy, and the dual linear solenoid.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 17:01:09 »
Thanks alot SecondGen. I called Honda today to plead my case and see if I could get a "Good Will" repair, no dice. Any idea if replacing the solenoids will help with the slipping also?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 22:06:32 »
Changing the solenoids should fix your slipping problem. If you change them and you still have the same problem then you will know that the issue is internal. I would also change the fluid as well.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 23:14:26 »
Awesome! Any chance I could get these at auto zone or advanced? Or is it something special order? I'll pick up my hanes from my brother this weekend also.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 01:07:16 »
You might be able to get them at the zone, but they might be a dealer only item. Like I said I am unsure of the retail price. I don't know if you would be able to find a junkyard with some good used solenoids or not, but it might be worth a shot.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 01:16:22 »
Awesome, thanks so much SecondGen! I'll let you know it turns out.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 01:34:49 »
If you should need anything else just let me know. Good luck.