2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Neo's 180g tank and build thread  (Read 18391 times)

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Neo's 180g tank and build thread
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2013, 00:41:01 »
This is why I love this group everyone is interested in helping others out glad your on the up swing of things I have a papa smurf not really ready to frag but I'm sure I could cut you a few eyes by spring swap

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2013, 00:46:25 »
Would be appreciated.  I'm sure we could work out a trade....I've got some really nice pieces growing out.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2013, 01:38:35 »
Sounds good don't let me forget

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2013, 10:23:24 »
Glad you got it figured out!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2013, 12:15:00 »
Good to hear..

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2013, 15:00:29 »
great to hear you got it all figured out but i would look into your grounding issue also. have you checked the probe you used? many that i've had over the years come with the bare minimum gauge wire and can very easily be broken.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2013, 14:29:08 »
Time for a update:

The tank has been doing well since the little electricity issue.  There has been zero death since the day I switched off the Reeflo pump, which still amazes me that only 4 volts can fry that much stuff come from a EXTERNAL PUMP!!!  I wasn't crazy about laying out nearly $400 for a new return pump, so I started looking around and Dave at AquaCulture Underground hooked me up with a individual that had a nearly new Blueline 70 pump  for sale.  I got it for $100, and it's should be plenty to do the job.  I then finally took the time to program my dosing pumps into my Reef Angel, and boy have they made configuring that thing easier than ever, and upon taking a closer look my heater was no longer up to the task as I only run a single 300watt unit during the summer months.  So I dropped my second 300w heater in and while it help the tank steady, upon closer inspection one heater was nearly on ALL the time.  It's impossible to get them to run in synch or even close to it.  So I ordered up a new digital Finnex controller and titanium heating element, 800w should do the trick.  The heater runs a LOT less now and the tank is always within a .5 of a degree.  My next purchase is most likely going to be a pair for Vertech MP40's, as I'm trying to eliminate putting electricity near water as much as possible.  When done, I want nothing but the return pump and heaters touching water.  Wanna help me afford them....I've got frags for sale!!!!!   lol

So things are going well, corals are growing well, I can't wait for the swaps to get here as my frag tanks are getting full again.  Gotta love that Gryphon frag saw I picked up.

Pics of my new toys:

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 14:39:37 »
Nice! Good to here things are doing well again!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2013, 21:02:33 »
I am so glad things are good now. Surprised as well that 4 volts did that to your corals but good to know and I will be monitoring my tanks voltage more often. I run finnex and love it.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2013, 21:05:12 »
I wish someone made an alarm that would alert if any voltage was found in the tank.  I'd drop $100 on one tomorrow.  Also picked up a toxic orange fungia tonight with bright green tentacles.  Will post pics once it settles in and opens up.

On the vortech note....  who runs them and your thoughts?  Pros and Cons?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 22:04:48 »
I love my vortechs.

Pros,
-takes up little space in your tank,
-no heat in the tank......meaning no calcium buildup in the pump. 
-fully controllable, syncable with multiple pumps.
-battery backup capability

cons
- you can't aim the pump flow
- requires maintenance of the main bearing.
- pricey

I'm sure we could build a detector with some transistors.   What kind of alarm would you want.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 14:52:02 »
let me ask you this, is not aiming them an issue?  I'm not positive on how they pump.  When thinking of my Koralia's compared to my ocean streams, they are completely different animals.  Are the Vortechs a very pointed flow or more broad?

Could you also explain the bearing maintenance?

Price I can save some on as I can get a pair at cost brand new, however it's still pricey.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 15:05:42 »
One flaw I found with the vortech in my design was that it wouldn't fit where I wanted it to go... My tank was pre established and to put in a vortech I would have had to move the tank from the wall so that it couls fit in between the tank and the wall, So it limited where I could put it in the tank. I would also love to run one on my bio cube, but that means I would have to run it on one of the 3 viewable sides, as I ideally would want it on the back panel, but can't put it there as the internal filtration is behind the back wall, so its not a dry side.

Not a major gripe, but something you may have to think about.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2013, 17:49:29 »
Vortech is a broad flow pump.....just like the tunze streams.

Look at page 6 of the manual for an exploded view of the pump.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.11.pdf

They sell a repair kit, which is probably a 2-3 year replacement.

http://ecotechmarine.com/parts-store/#MP40

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2013, 23:19:24 »
Thanks Wall_Tank.  I think I'm going to spring for a pair.....I hope I don't regret this.  I'm nervous dropping this kind of money on anything.

The new fungia is doing good, it fed itself already tonight.  I got food to it's outer body.  It grabbed it and held on to it the whole way to it's mouth, didn't even have to cover it.  So I'm hopeful that this one has a very good chance to survive.

And if anyone knows, if your mama clown looks very very fat through the abdomen, I presume she's holding eggs, but how long before they actually lay?  I haven't noticed her having a fat abdomen until tonight.  I'm very excited as are the kids as I didn't think they were even old enough to lay.

Offline rickwebste

• Egg
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 20:29:08 »
Nice

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:49 »
OK.....well I did it, I splurged and  bought a pair of MP 40's.  My first impressions were not that great.  I honestly expected to see a $400+ dollar power head to be packed a little nicer.  And to be honest the wet side felt a little cheap compared to other pumps I've worked with.  Oh well, I've gone this far I might as well install them.  This is where it peaked my interest a bit.  These things move HUGE amounts of water.  To match my water movement from before, I'm on the 2nd or 3rd lowest setting there is.  If I turn them all the way up it would be a sandstorm in no time.  So I start playing with the controllers, and for some reason I couldn't get them to sync with each other to start with.  Around the 5th try, doing the exact same steps they are now synced, which it pretty darn cool.  Now I just need to decide what mode I want to run in.

So, I'm still on the fence overall with them, but I'm glad to remove the chance of leaking electricity into the tank through power heads again.

Other news with the tank, I finally got my Blue Jaw Trigger out, he liked escargo and other inverts too much, and I need to get my aptasia problem taken care of.  So peppermints are next to go in, and possibly a nudibranch or two.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:46 »
Nice!!   Id love to get a pair of MP10's,

Jeremy

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2013, 22:04:15 »
The vortechs are nice for sure!!!

So...the peppermints are not working fast enough for my liking....so I broke out the aiptasia wand tonight and took care of all those little buggers that I could reach.  Took care of at least all the large ones, so hopefully the shrimp will take care of the small ones.

I also finally installed my replacement return pump over the weekend.  I do know I'll never be running a Reeflo pump again.  The new one is smaller, quieter, uses less electricity, and moves the same amount of water....and is cheaper to boot. Don't get the wrong the Reeflo is a good pump, but I won't be running them any longer. 

I'm glad to finally have the tank and all components running top notch again.  Now to get these dang dosers figured out as the one isn't kicking on right.  Time to get on the support forums to get it straightened out.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2013, 22:24:21 »
Do you have the Power data to share?

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:06 »
What kind is the new return pump?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:16 »
I replaced my Reeflo Barracuda with a Blueline 70.

Hmmm....how to best word this.  The Reeflo Barracuda is rated for more flow, less head......    The Blueline is rated for less flow more head, but at 1/2 the wattage of the Reeflo.  What I've found is that both pumps provide the same amount of flow in my setup, so overall that makes the Blueline cheaper to run.  I know this as my overflows are tuned to run xxx gallons per hour quietly, and after swapping pumps, I had to reduce the flow nearly the exact same amount for both pumps.  So what the Reeflo loses to head pressure, the Blueline pushed through with no loss of flow.  And just for reference, I guesstimate my head pressure to be around 13 ft.

Pump Specs:

Reeflo Barracuda
4,500 gph
shut off head of 18 feet
maximum wattage of 325/ 2 amps.

Blueline 70

1750 gph
shut off head of 39 feet
maximum wattage of 150

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:10 »
I replaced my Reeflo Barracuda with a Blueline 70.

Hmmm....how to best word this.  The Reeflo Barracuda is rated for more flow, less head......

well said.

I was wondering if you had actual current draw on the pumps.   Or tested with a kil-a-watt. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2013, 13:16:00 »
I don't.  It's one of those thing I keep meaning to buy.....but other things always take precedence.

If the Reeflo is repairable, it's easily swapped back in, it could be easily tested.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2013, 17:00:22 »
ok...time for a photo bomb update of my DT!!!!  A lot of these I will have frags available from or the colony is for sale.  There is also lots more in my 60g worth of frag tanks!!

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

Miami Hurricane

Gold Tip Torch - this entire thing is for sale.

Toxic Waste Fungia, Orange Fungia, and can't remember the name of this chalice

Meteor Shower Cyphastria

Hammer Colony

Bam Bam's

Ora Green Birdsnest

New piece i just picked up....a little bit bleached but healthy

Prizm Favia, Purple Deaths, Nuclear Greens - This entire rock is for sale

Couple Random Chalices

And finally a random shot