2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: PH surging  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
PH surging
« on: March 21, 2011, 22:21:37 »
My PH has went from 8.2-8.4 to approx 8.8. Most Corals look good but 2 acros are browning out 1 is my Red Planet AAHHHH!

Recent changes.

Took out old sump added new 20 long and a 20 frag tank. 2 days after added 3 large frag plugs next day 3 more. That was last Wed. I won the reef plugs at the Cinci swap from Coral plugs who says their plugs are cured, but I'm not sure.
Have always used Reef Complete from Seachem, recently started alternating with BRS calcium pellets and mag. 2 teas calcium 1/32 teas mag every other day.  Calcium is 400,  DKH is 9 do not have a mag test kit.
Nitrates 0-5
All my other corals look good but the 2.

Help

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: PH surging
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 22:57:04 »
I am guessing you have had your windows open since this has been occurring? If yes than that is likely significantly contributing to the higher PH.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 23:00:14 »
Come again? How does that affct PH and what should I do to lower?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 23:33:09 »
The outside air is oxygen rich where as inside air is co2 rich. co2 decreases PH. Every year I see these type post when the weather warms up and the windows open. I am not saying this is the sole reason for your recent PH increase but I bet it affected it close to .2
As it cools down later in the week and your windows are closed for a couple days let us know if it went back down.

Offline Bright79

• I love tangs !!!!!
  • Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:32:47 »
so having my windows open is a bad thing?? cuz my tank is right by the wimdow.
I am the tank crasher !!!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:17:03 »
The outside air is oxygen rich where as inside air is co2 rich. co2 decreases PH. Every year I see these type post when the weather warms up and the windows open. I am not saying this is the sole reason for your recent PH increase but I bet it affected it close to .2
As it cools down later in the week and your windows are closed for a couple days let us know if it went back down.
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:55:52 »
so having my windows open is a bad thing?? cuz my tank is right by the wimdow.

Not a bad thing I think more people suffer from low ph than high ph so it can be a good thing it also like Brian said allows oxygen rich air to reach your tank which is a good thing. Now having the tank right next to a window in my opinion is not a good thing. Usually windows are drafty and allow cool air in during winter and hot air in during the summer which can cause major temp fluctuations with the tank which is not good.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:04 »
Can't be too good if it is causing my corals to turn brown.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 13:23:01 »
Fast Ph flucation is never good Steve. We are just saying that one of the contributing factors to ph increase this time of year is open windows. Typically it happens over a couple days and doesn't cause an issue. For most it puts Ph in a 8.1 to 8.3 range from a 7.9 to 8.0 range. In your case you already had a good ph. I assume you have removed the frag plugs to eliminate that from the equation. If alk is the same as it typically runs then there is no other explanation I have other then that already mentioned. My guess is the brown out has nothing to do with the PH but instead the disturbance of your biological system from the recent changes Replacing the sump and adding the frag tank. The water change also associated with this effort was likely oxgen rich nutrient free further affecting ph.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 13:48:42 »
I appreciate all the info.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 16:51:40 »
Hi Steve. I would check your test kit or re-calibrate your probe if you have one. With your alk and calcium being good it seems 8.8 ph is pretty high unless you added something to raise it. I would expext it to rise when the windows were open but not to 8.8

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:20:40 »
Windows closed, protein skimmer down, PH down, 8.1-8.2. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:33:55 »
PH down Good, Protien Skimmer down BAD. :(

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:37:09 »
Without a doubt. Hoping Coral Ranch can help.