2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reusing water??  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Reusing water??
« on: March 25, 2012, 18:27:15 »
I bought a cube for a qt tank yesterday. I was wondering if I should use some of my water from my dt to help give it a boost? Or should I just cycle it like normal? Or I was told I could use instant bacteria stuff an put fish right in? I am going to run it @ hypo & figured I could get a few of those little puffers to keep everything company that runs thru that tank. Any advise would be appreciated.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Reusing water??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 21:15:34 »
I would use ur tank water to help it out even use a piece of rock if u have it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 21:27:54 »
^this^ I also use "dirty" water from waterchanges on my coral/invert qt tank to do water changes on my other quarantine tanks. salt is cheap, but this way I can do waterchanges on my qt's that i otherwise probably wouldnt do.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 23:51:47 »
ok thanks for the info. I figured there is some bio in the old tank water so why not use it.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:23:33 »
I filled my QT from my DT I even stuck a filter cartrige in my sump for a a few weeks prior to add my bio. It worked fine for me, i even use my DT to top off my quarentine during water changes so I really only make enough water for my DT.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 11:21:16 »
The only problem I see with using display tank water to fill a QT tank is that you'd want to leave the qt tank without fish for 6 weeks if you do this- you could have brought over pests from the main tank.

If the tank is just cycling, then that's probably not a big deal. But if it were for a fish you planned on getting in the next six weeks, I'd hold off.