2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Winter and Low PH  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Winter and Low PH
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:35:01 »
The good news with our new house is it is air tight and we haven't really needed a heater until last night. The bad news is the PH on my system dropped to 7.5. I assume this is only going to get worse as time goes on.

Tank Levels:

Calcium: 430 ppm
Alkalinity 9 dkh
Magnesium 1290 ppm

Additives:

Equal BRS 2 part controlled with Apex.

Cause: Increased levels of Carbon Dioxide in the house.

Result: Could cause corals with bones to not grow and deteriorate.

Fix: Increase fresh air to the room, and or tank.

The only option I can find is to use a buffer which I don't want to do or run the skimmer airline outside. The house being air tight isn't a bad thing and I would rather not put anymore holes in the floor.

What are the thoughts on adding plants to the room? Will this do enough to make a difference or not?

any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Source: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Winter and Low PH
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:08:29 »
Pull air from outside threw the skimmer.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:25:54 »
Where has your ph been running?   Did you by chance have a house full for the Buckeye's game last night? 

Macro in your sump would probably do more than house plants.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:34:33 »
Where has your ph been running?   Did you by chance have a house full for the Buckeye's game last night? 

Macro in your sump would probably do more than house plants.

PH normally runs between 7.8 and 8.2. It has dropped around 7.7 or so a couple times since getting cold out.

Didn't have anybody over last night. Just Ann, myself, and the dogs.

I do have cheato in the sump.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:23:42 »
The shape is the same as mine.   The scale of the change would be of most concern.

You could adjust your alk dosing schedule to align with the ph going down.  Or get a fresh air intake for your skimmer.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 13:09:58 »
The best thing I found was a opposite lighting schedule on my sump with a LOT of cheato.  It helped enough that I disconnected my external airline to the skimmer.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 16:51:18 »
Using a CO2 scrubber all year round.  Consistently 7.9 - 8.2 daily.  No macro.  Small reactor full of pellets lasts 6 months.  BRS 8 lb jug lasts 2.5 years.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...