2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: clownfish dance?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
clownfish dance?
« on: September 12, 2009, 21:49:58 »
Ok, so I have been gone 3 weeks in a row on business trips and just noticed something new with the clowns.

I bought a pair of black clowns about 6 months ago from a guy who said he had bought them from NDR and had them for a year. You do the math on the age based on when they are able to sell fry.  When i got them they were the same size and generally hung around each other but nothing too serious.  About 2 months ago they started hosting in some Xenia.  I just realized today she is almost 2/3rds larger than the male now.

So i saw the male dance(?) today.  almost like he was shivering or convulsing.  I was scared at first, but it looks close to some youtube videos.  does the dance just mean they are now paired, or is it a mating dance? meaning they may lay soon?

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Reefd Up

Re: clownfish dance?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 22:00:47 »
Guess we're going to have to have the birds & bees talk.....

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 22:15:51 »
Wes, when a boy clownfish loves a girl clownfish...uh... you know... physically... they... uhh... Ask Nikki...
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 22:21:42 »
Your little dance is them establishing sex, and order in the pack. Mine do it from time to time, the smaller one shimmys near the larger one.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 22:26:40 »
Yea thats what Im seeing. 

For those of you that get eggs: Do they do a different dance before they spawn? 
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Blown76mav

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 22:40:04 »
Yea thats what Im seeing. 

For those of you that get eggs: Do they do a different dance before they spawn? 

My female holds the male on the bottom of the tank about 1-2 hours before they lay eggs, up till that time they bite at the spot they are going to lay them.   About every 4-5 days after the eggs hatch I have another batch.  I tried to put a piece of tile in there so I could harvest the eggs and try to raise the fry, but they just changes spots.  As soon as I removed the tile they went right back to the old spot.

When they are close you will notice the female get wide and a little tube drop down from her belly.  Right now I'd say yours are just going through the dominance thing, when the male shakes he's being submissive.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15:55 »
My female holds the male on the bottom of the tank about 1-2 hours before they lay eggs, up till that time they bite at the spot they are going to lay them.   About every 4-5 days after the eggs hatch I have another batch.  I tried to put a piece of tile in there so I could harvest the eggs and try to raise the fry, but they just changes spots.  As soon as I removed the tile they went right back to the old spot.

When they are close you will notice the female get wide and a little tube drop down from her belly.  Right now I'd say yours are just going through the dominance thing, when the male shakes he's being submissive.

Does she hold him there because that's where she lays the eggs or does she do that no matter where she lays her eggs?  Mine lay eggs in the same place every time but it's near the top of the tank.    All men should be like male clownfish!  ;)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 07:48:37 »

All men should be like male clownfish!   ;)

Does that mean women should be too? (much larger than the man) :D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:52:35 »

All men should be like male clownfish!   ;)

Does that mean women should be too? (much larger than the man) :D

Ha Ha Ha...  You boys can be sooo funny!  (or so you think  :P  )

Blown76mav

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:15 »
Does she hold him there because that's where she lays the eggs or does she do that no matter where she lays her eggs?  Mine lay eggs in the same place every time but it's near the top of the tank.    All men should be like male clownfish!  ;)

Mine lay eggs near the bottom, not sure why she holds him down, but any farther and he'd be in my basement sump. ;D

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:58 »
 Ill have to dig up the video I have of mine spawning and post it again.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 15:54:47 »
I think I made a video of mine spawning too, let me check on that... Thanks for the reminder Gary!  :) 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 15:59:11 »
This is a video I made of my clown fish spawning.  The female passed and the male in this video (the one with the big white dot) is now the female of the pair I currently have. This was made around Christmas time a few years ago hence the music...  ;)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Mickis125/VIDEO/?action=view&current=1ec9fa54.pbr

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 16:02:12 by micki »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 16:08:35 »
Great video Micki. Your (then) male has an awesome pattern!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 16:14:55 »
Thanks jd!  The female was the first salt water fish I ever bought!  I used to be able to had feed her when she was in a smaller tank. Once I put her in the 125 she decided she didn't need my help any more.  :)