2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: uv sterilizer questions.  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
uv sterilizer questions.
« on: September 14, 2019, 15:42:05 »
Im wanting to buy a uv sterilizer for my tank to help with a algea issues.   anybody have a recommendation on a budget option for a 75 gallon tank? i would spend around 200 for one.

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: uv sterilizer questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:28:20 »
Im wanting to buy a uv sterilizer for my tank to help with a algea issues.   anybody have a recommendation on a budget option for a 75 gallon tank? i would spend around 200 for one.

i just got a jeabo off amazon and it seems to work pretty good. was like $75 or something

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:00:35 »
This is the one I'm using. It's nice that it's vertical and you can change the bulb on it very easily.

https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=1226384&ats=product_landing

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 13:35:36 »
What kind of benefits are you guys seeing with them?  I know reeferntraining is wanting to set one up to fight Dinos.
Jeff

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 14:29:55 »
That the main reason I’m buying one.  From what I’ve read,  if they are properly sized they are very effective at keeping pathogens and parisite levels down.  If suspended in water column

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 17:48:25 »
I just fired mine up.
What kind of benefits are you guys seeing with them?  I know reeferntraining is wanting to set one up to fight Dinos.
Jeff

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 21:36:33 »
Cool!!  I purchased a 36 watt and will be in at the end of this week.  Im glad to that your tank has come around.   those frags are coloring up nicely! My tank has finally turned for the better.  I just have some dinos that im trying to stay ahead of. a result of the reset I ended up wrecking my bio filter.  so DR tims, micro bacter7,  and alittle vibrant along with the uv should knock them back. 

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:49 »
Jeff

why i did it, has worked so far, i tried Dino-X that stressed my corals beyond madness, then DR tims wasteaway that didnt seem to do much, so UV started and it has def helped. Manual removal also!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 12:48:22 »
Does a UV mess with minerals in the water column??  I’m sitting here at work and looking at my tank on Fusion and I’m noticing the pH is much lower than normal. It also seemed to drop lower than normal overnight. Any ideas?

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 22:09:13 »
I have my uv installed how long before you guys noticed a reduction in dinos??? and an increas in clarity?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:22 »
was within a week what did you order and what pump is running it?

flow rate is important.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 09:57:01 »
Coralvue turbo trwist 9x.  It’s rated for 160 I have a 75g.  I have read that it is best to ever size them.   I about a small Jabao dc pump and have it running about 600gph per Uv recommendations.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
uv sterilizer questions.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 11:05:20 »
I’d give it some time. I installed a 25w on my 75 with about 900-1000gph and I’m seeing results after 3 days. I also use a turkey baster and blow off the rocks and stir up the sand once every day. It’s not only cut my Dino’s in half, it’s decreased the amount of cyano I’m blowing off each day.

Coralvue turbo trwist 9x.  It’s rated for 160 I have a 75g.  I have read that it is best to ever size them.   I about a small Jabao dc pump and have it running about 600gph per Uv recommendations.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 11:14:33 »
i have a 36w with 900gph pump powering it, i think that is a bit too much for what i am after, but i can tell it is working.

i saw a chart once showing flow rate vs steralization and for dinos it was like 500 gph or something.