2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: eslatts' Fish Tank Room Build + Display Tank  (Read 8406 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: eslatts' Fish Tank Room Build + Display Tank
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2020, 21:59:42 »
I wouldnt lower your phos any lower.  Corals need phos to flourish.  I have mine at .1 right now and am happy with that.  Sweetohioreef is experiencing major coral damage right now from several days of 0 phosphates with corals in strong lighting. So be careful lowering it too much. Even with the tank fallow you will need to add food or something for the bacteria to feed off of or your bacteria bed will be harmed.  Once your able to add tangs to the tank you will be able to control the gha a lot better.  Love the moorish in your tank.  Looks like you might have bought Justins fish.  When your ready to buy fish send me a pm, I can save you a lot of money.
Jeff

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2020, 15:36:18 »
I wouldnt lower your phos any lower.  Corals need phos to flourish.  I have mine at .1 right now and am happy with that.  Sweetohioreef is experiencing major coral damage right now from several days of 0 phosphates with corals in strong lighting. So be careful lowering it too much. Even with the tank fallow you will need to add food or something for the bacteria to feed off of or your bacteria bed will be harmed.  Once your able to add tangs to the tank you will be able to control the gha a lot better.  Love the moorish in your tank.  Looks like you might have bought Justins fish.  When your ready to buy fish send me a pm, I can save you a lot of money.
Jeff

Very good point Jeff. I read it all over the place that people are so focused on keeping nutrients low these days that they actually strip them entirely, which is way worse! I did receive my high capacity GFO in last week but still have changed out the media with my old yet. I brought online an algae turf scrubber I had laying around from my old 75g and it seems to be working well (pic below is of first harvest). For right now I have managed to curb the gha outbreak. Its still there a little bit but not really growing anymore, whereas before it was growing rapidly. So if I can naturally bring the levels down to a safe spot I think I may just do that. I was also able to find a Skimz MBR127 macroalgae reactor for $92 bucks on BRS! Pump and leds included! It was an open box return + they are liquidating all their Skimz products for 60% off. I figured why not give it a shot, its only rated for around 100 gallons but it will fit in the sump just fine and if I use it with my current ATS there's no need for the bigger one. I have been doing weekly feedings of my corals now that I am fishless and to keep the inverts happy. I feed the trachys, anemone, and elegance each a nice chuck of the rods reef frenzy and they gobble it right up. I also target feed everything else with reef roids.

I may have have to take you up on the fish offer here in a few months  ;D

-Slatts

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2020, 16:06:50 »
Love the rock work.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2020, 16:26:18 »
Love the rock work.

Thank you! :)

I actually ended up re-doing it quite a bit after I took my sand out. Kept the big shelf structure that used to be on the left, and placed it on the right side this time and tilted it forward. Then I broke up the old three arch structure that used to be on the right and made it flow into the existing shelf structure. I'm real happy with it how the revamp turned out!
-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2021, 01:38:00 »
Long overdue for a progress update. Snapped some picks tonight after cleaning all 4 walls. Coraline is starting to come in, especially on the bottom of the tank. Elegance coral has not been looking too good lately so I moved it to the bottom right corner for less flow and less light. I also put a cage around it because I think my butterfly might be picking at it!

-Slatts

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 08:24:33 »
That is beautiful! What are you using for pics? I can not get a decent pic of my tank to save my life. I know it’s the blue lighting.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 09:05:37 »

Why the eggcrate cage in the corner?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 12:19:38 »
"Elegance coral has not been looking too good lately so I moved it to the bottom right corner for less flow and less light. I also put a cage around it because I think my butterfly might be picking at it!"

this could be it.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 14:10:43 »
That is beautiful! What are you using for pics? I can not get a decent pic of my tank to save my life. I know it’s the blue lighting.

I use the Flipper Flip-Kick Phone Filter - https://flipperaquariumproducts.com/flip-kick/. Really like it, comes with a 33m Yellow and 33m Orange filter that you can use back-to-back together and it magnetizes right to the back of your phone. My phone is the google pixel 4.

-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2021, 20:36:18 »
Lightning maroon clownfish have laid eggs!

-Slatts

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2021, 17:12:40 »
That is a beautiful clown! Are they aggressive?

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2021, 19:21:05 »
That is a beautiful clown! Are they aggressive?

They honestly are not bad at all. They can chase just a little bit if anyone gets like within 6" inches or so of their anemone but other than that super peaceful, even at feeding time. I do have fish that are quite bigger than them too not sure if that keeps them more in line than normal. I also have them in a 6' foot 215g too, so lots of room. I could see them being more aggressive in a smaller tank, and maybe with smaller tank mates.

Fry's are getting big, almost time to add in sponge filter! The pair have laid an even bigger clutch of eggs again 5 days ago.

-Slatts

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2021, 23:13:12 »
I had a maroon early on in my hobby.  I decided to add another for a tank mate and within minutes of adding the new maroon it was viciously killed by the first one.  I watched a video just recently that said how mean they can be. 
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2021, 07:33:29 »
Ya, that?s what I?ve always heard. That they were incredibly aggressive. Sounds like it?s hit or miss like it is with most fish.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2021, 18:22:48 »
My brother made a couple videos of my reef tank! One is just a general video with no lenses, the second with lenses and mostly macro shots and then a FTS at the end. Enjoy.

-Slatts