2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 10145 times)

fishlover2

Hello everyone
« on: December 07, 2007, 15:40:43 »
Hi everyone, my name is Mike, i'm from around the Dayton area and i am very new to the marine tank hobby, i started about 5 months ago and so far i am really into it, id love to get to know all of you people and have you guys share all your information with me so i can get my tank to look as great as all of yours :), please reply and keep in touch

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 15:43:16 »
Welcome to the hobby and forum!  Please post about your setup; we'd love to hear about it!  (Pictures are always great too!)

Nikki

fishlover2

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 15:46:06 »
I have a 55 gallon with about 60-80 pounds of LR, idk the exact amount, i have a pair of false percullas, a green chromis and diamond goby currently with a sabae anemone and also a green bubble tipped anemone and a couple frags of zoos n such, everything looking so far so good though :)

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 15:48:13 »
Cool cool.  What sort of equipment do you have (if any)...skimmers, lighting system, sump/refugium, reactors, etc?

fishlover2

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 15:54:55 »
right now i have a protein skimmer, a hang on filter, a power head and my lighting is metal halide with acetic and moon lights, its pretty bright, i got it off ebay, any segestions on what else i should have equipment wise? or how am i doin so far?

fishlover2

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 17:57:23 »
Here is a photo i just took, tell me what you thinkg or if you have any suggestions id like to hear from you, thanks!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 18:28:33 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef!!!!

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 19:26:40 »
i like how your rock is setup, but looks like you need some help with the green hair algea

fishlover2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 19:36:30 »
Yeah i know, theres too much in there i think.....do you know of anyway to get it down or how to control it, maybe some fish or inverts that eat it a lot? any ideas thatd be great!

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 20:06:46 »
just from what i can see of your setup...those prefilters on your powerheads are breeding grounds for crapola build up that leads to nutrient build up that causes algea.  either remove the prefilters or keep them clean.

some people on here can recommend a fish that will eat it, lawnmover blenny, some sort of sea slug....but its all about nutrient control, you get to much nutrient in your water that crap grows wild because it live off of it.

what is your skimmer?

fishlover2

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 20:49:02 »
its an odyssea p75, it was tricky to get workin at first but since ive gotten it to not overflow its been workin pretty good i think, i clean the prefilters about once a week but all the algea that comes all the rocks sucks to that prefilter and gets right back to where it was before i cleaned it

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 21:13:31 »
what type of water do you use to do top offs and water changes with?  also what are you feeding the fish and how much?

fishlover2

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 21:15:29 »
i use regular water and put aquasafe drops in it with salt when needed and also i feed my fish omega one flakes around 2-3 times a day

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 21:17:54 »
2-3 times a day...well there is your problem right there...

to much food = too much waste = to much algea

fishlover2

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 21:20:43 »
How much do you recommend i feed them a day? i have 2 false perculas, a green chromis and a diamond goby at the moment

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 22:21:27 »
have your regular water checked at your LFS.  you maybe adding way to many nutrients into your tank that way as well if you are using plain old tap water

as for me, I feed every other day.  and I spread the feeding out over a half hour span.  I have a set amount of food that I am going to feed them. at each helping during this time (the half hour) I give a little bit of the food until it is gone.   less is wasted through either not getting eating, going down in the sump etc.  instead of throwing a ton of food in and having a free for all, its more of a controlled feeding, so there is less waste and less hungry fish

fishlover2

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 23:07:16 »
alright ill be sure to try n do that from now on! do u know of any fish or anything that usually eat mostly the algae that i could maybe get for my tank to also help it go down?

slandis3

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 00:23:43 »
I feed 2 a day, but i have 8 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 blue jaw, 1 yellow tang, 1 coral beauty, 1 fox face, 1 cardinal, 1 six line wrasse.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 14:51:32 »
Check out www.ohioreef.com/hair.html for details of my battle with hair algae.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 16:47:57 »
I battled GHA for about 6 months with no luck.  I had it worse than anyone's tank I've ever seen...and never kept a picture for proof, thank goodness.  Here's what I did...and now my tank is near spotless.  I barely ever even clean the glass (and I have 2 flasher wrasses and a blenny).  I was desperate...and did just about everything in the book. 

Tunze Nano Skimmer -- biggest help

Increased Sump Size from 10g to 20g

Added a Remote Sand Bed -- Second biggest help

Reduced Photoperiod

Switched sump from a 24/7 photoperiod to a reverse photoperiod

Added Chaeto as well as keeping Caulerpa

Reduced feeding (even though I was already target feeding corals and letting the fish just pick at the leftover food)

Phosphate Reactor

Quit dosing everything

Weekly water changes

Took out all artificial sponges/bioballs/etc.

Ran carbon

Took out every single rock & scrubbed the algae off in a separate container of saltwater

Changed my lightbulbs to ensure they were the right color spectrum

I tried a lawnmower blenny, about 75+ blue legged hermits, and a sea hare, but honestly, they can just make the problem worse by spreading the spores of the algae through their poop.  Just find the problem...and get rid of it.

Turns out, after all of that...and two months of having a spotless tank...I got a TDS meter to measure the quality of my RO/DI water (compliments of Joel at Aquarium's Etc.).  My RO/DI water was OVER 700 TDS.  (It should be ZERO.)  In fact, the EPA recommends drinking water be 500 TDS or better to give you a reference.  So, I changed all of my filters/resins to prevent that whole problem in the future.

Good luck & hope this helped!
Nikki

fishlover2

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 08:56:51 »
where could i get myself a nice RO system, that is decently affordable, to use for water changes and such?

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 10:31:04 »
I got mine off ebay and have been very pleased with it. A lot of people look down on the ebay systems, but then everyone is entitled to their opinion.

www.buckeyefieldsupply.com is a local e-tailer that carries them. I'm not sure whether Joel, www.aquariumsetc.com, carries them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 10:32:47 »
I got mine from filter direct.  We buy all our replacement filters from them as well.   http://www.filterdirect.com/catalog/index.php  I've got the 110 gpd 5 stage RO/DI plus we have an increaser pump and a large pressure tank due to we have well water and the water pressure is lower.  

Melevsreef from RC sells them.  http://www.melevsreef.com/ro_di.html  I haven't looked at his prices.  

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 10:47:05 »
airwaterice.com is where i bought mine....rick has it now

The Typhoon Reefkeeping RODI
5 stage with ASOV

You don't need glue, Teflon tape, pipe dope, or wrenches.

Easy to use push-in fitting make installation a snap.

every easy to install..all push fittings

i hooked mine up to a brute trash can and a float valve and always had about 50 gallons of RO/DI whenever i needed it.  when it was used it would refill itself.  nothing to overflow or worry about.

now with no reef I converted it over auto fill dog bowl technology :)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 11:46:52 »
I have the same system Micki has with the exception of the membrane. I requested a 75gpd rather than the 100gpd membrane. I have mine hooked into a Brute trash can with a float valve.

I also put a tee in mine so that the pressurized tank feeds our refrigerator. I placed a flow restrictor to prevent the pressure tank from emptying when the float valve on the trash can opens. This allows the refrigerator to have water even when then trash can is filling.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 11:57:10 »
I also have an extra DI chamber in mine. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 12:53:17 »
I've had great experience with Buckeye Field Supply.

I originally purchased my system *used* on Ebay and thought I was getting a great deal.  Instead, all of the filters were destroyed, the replacement filters that came with it were the wrong thing, and the membrane was bad.  I ended up having to replace every single thing in there, so basically all I bought was the housing.  Be careful what you buy from non-reputable dealers.  In this hobby, it's not worth trying to go cheap (and boy did I ever try.) 

fishlover2

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:22 »
Thanks for all the advice!
i recently ordered a timer online for my lights, i have 3 cords, one for daylights, 1 for acentics, and another for my moonlights....i was wondering how long i should have just the acentics on to simulate dawn and dusk, and how long i should keep the daylighs on to simulate the day without keeping them on too long......all of your advice would be great, thanks :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 10:25:06 »
My actinics come on at 8:00am and go off at 9:00pm

the MH lights come on at 11:30am and go off at 8:00pm.

fishlover2

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 13:21:12 »
do i leave my moon lights on all the time? also it comes with a wavemaker application for 2 powerheads so i think thatll be good too

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 13:23:26 »
I'm guessing your moonlights are LEDs, correct? If so, it won't hurt to leave them on 24/7. It'll take a good many years to burn them out.

fishlover2

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 13:24:43 »
yeah your right.....how long do you go with your acentics and daylights on ohio reef?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 13:38:03 »
FWIW, I leave my actinics on 14 hours/day and my PC's on 12 hours/day.  The actinics come on an hour before and go off an hour later.  I started out with a lot less hours until I started keeping SPS & a clam. 

I'd start lower until you know you can go longer.  It really depends on what you're keeping though.  Keep an eye out for algae blooms.  Length of lights being on also depends on your budget.

fishlover2

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 13:44:32 »
right now i have 3 frags of soft corals and a couple anemones for my perculas.....how much light would u recommend?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 13:58:03 »
What kind of anemone?  How long have you had them? 

fishlover2

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 14:00:06 »
i have two anemones acutally....a purple tipped sabae anemone and also a green bubble tipped anemone...the sabae ive had about a month and the green bubble tipped ive had for about 2 weeks

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 14:02:37 »
What is your current lighting schedule?

fishlover2

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 14:04:04 »
right now i have to do it manually which is a pain but i turn the acentics on at about 9 30....then i turn the mh on about 10 30......i turn off the mh at around 8 then the acentics off at about 9 30...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 14:05:06 »
Sounds like a good schedule to me.  Go to Wal-Mart and get some timers and you're good to go!  :)

fishlover2

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 14:11:46 »
well on sunday i ordered a timer online...it has two timers....three outlets for lights....and also 2 outlets for powerheads that are supposed to work it at a wavemaker application, so hopefully it will work out

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 15:22:50 »
yeah your right.....how long do you go with your acentics and daylights on ohio reef?

Before my tank crash I was on this schedule:

Actinics On 12PM
Daylights On 1PM
Refuge/Moonlights Off 1PM
Daylights Off 9PM
Refuge/Moonlights On 9PM
Actinics Off 10PM

All my timers got fried in the crash and I haven't had a chance to replace them so the moonlights have been on 24/7 and everything else is on for 8 hours/day. I really want a Reefkeeper controller for the tank, but the funds haven't allowed that yet.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 15:24:23 »
Just a warning, be careful about getting cheapo timers/extension cords...I've known a few people so far to have fires. Get some timers on a surge protector.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 15:26:14 »
Also make sure you have everything on a GFI! When my tank leaked the GFI shut everything off. Not only did that save my pump, but could have very well prevented a fire.

fishlover2

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 16:59:39 »
this is the timer i ordered: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=945
tell me what you think about it, did i make a right choice?

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 17:23:54 »
By using such "safety" methods as a GFI you can actually set your tank up to be fully nuked. Here's the situation most reefkeepers try to setup. They first equip their system with a grounding probe, connecting their tank to a ground on a powerstrip, or similar electrical breakout box. Then at the end of that breakout box they place a single ground fault monitor. Their system runs fine for years and years, and the ground fault never trips. Then one tuesday summer day they wake up, check the tank, everything looks fine, and go to work. 2 minutes after walking out the front door, a seal leaks just a bit on their heater and some stray voltage creeps into the tank. When this potential is created, current leaks through the ground wire and into the ground fault monitor, tripping it and shutting the power strip off. The tank now sits with no water movement as the sun comes up. Light enters the tank from the surroundings and the fish wake up and start swimming about. They quickly produce excess CO2 and the tank's pH crashes while the O2 depleats. Fish and corals begin gasping for O2 that the stagnant water can no-longer exchange. It's now about 5pm and most of your fish are near death while your corals are allready on their way there. You run a few errands after work, come home, pick the kids up and whisk them straight away to some extra-curricular, never looking at your tank. By the time you get them home at 9-10pm you walk in the door and smell something funny. Immediately you sprint to your tank only to find it dark and smelling like rotting ocean. You quickly see the GFI is tripped and everything is shutoff. You get the main lights back on and your fish are all dead, corals all retracted, and the water is like a thick cloudy soup. All because the GFI tripped right after you left the house.

is this a worse case situation.  Yes.  will it happen probably not, could it, maybe

A possible what to possibly protect your tank is if you first connect your powerheads and sump pumps to the main circuitry, and then upstream from it place a GFI and upstream from that your remaining components, at least that way if the GFI trips due to a current leak, you still have flow and likely a live tank when you get home.

slandis3

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 19:19:57 »
this is the timer i ordered: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=945
tell me what you think about it, did i make a right choice?

that's the same timer i had fail about 2 months after i got it. It would not turn anymore. I took it back and the same thing happened a few weeks later. I went to Lowe's and got a heavy duty timer for 5 or 6 dollars and haven't had a problem.

fishlover2

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 19:23:28 »
well thats not good news lol
i guess well have to wait and see how it goes with it, i hope it works out

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 21:24:06 »
I would prefer to risk nuking a tank as opposed to losing my house or worse yet my life due to a leak.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 11:06:20 »
Speaking of heaters losing a seal...just happened to me.  Thankfully I was playing around in the tank...stuck my hand in...and ZAP.  Granted, it didn't feel too good to me, but that probably saved my critters. 

I have my tank on two different circuits in case anything trips.  I'll definitely let my tank nuke before my house does.  Anyway, we lost power one night for 6 hours and we didn't know it until the next morning.  Granted there was no sunlight streaming through the window, but still...everything was fine.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 11:54:32 »
it was a worse case scenario type deal thats all.  just something to think about. 

I had a heater just loose a seal recently to, only found out when I stuck my hand in as well. 

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 15:23:54 »
You were very lucky that you weren't electrocuted. Had your tank been on a GFI, the power would have been cut off when you stuck your hand in.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 16:37:48 »
I agree totally.  My tank is now set up on a GFI ever since that.  I was just throwing out that earlier as a conversation piece and something  to think about.  its far from happening but it could.

fishlover2

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 18:56:31 »
hey again everyone...just a fun update....my tank is fairly new and ive had a pair of clownfish i got in my tank for about 5 months now and was lookin for an anemone for them as a host because ive always liked to watch them go in it.
about 3 months ago i got a blue tipped sabae anemone and they hadnt even given it a chance so about a month and a half ago i also got this green bubble tipped anemone and it took maybe a month but they finally went in it and dont ever leave it now! its soo cool to watch, here are some pictures

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 19:47:47 »
Cool!  I love to watch my clowns and anemone!  :)