2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 10137 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 11:57:10 »
I also have an extra DI chamber in mine. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 12:53:17 »
I've had great experience with Buckeye Field Supply.

I originally purchased my system *used* on Ebay and thought I was getting a great deal.  Instead, all of the filters were destroyed, the replacement filters that came with it were the wrong thing, and the membrane was bad.  I ended up having to replace every single thing in there, so basically all I bought was the housing.  Be careful what you buy from non-reputable dealers.  In this hobby, it's not worth trying to go cheap (and boy did I ever try.) 

fishlover2

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:22 »
Thanks for all the advice!
i recently ordered a timer online for my lights, i have 3 cords, one for daylights, 1 for acentics, and another for my moonlights....i was wondering how long i should have just the acentics on to simulate dawn and dusk, and how long i should keep the daylighs on to simulate the day without keeping them on too long......all of your advice would be great, thanks :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 10:25:06 »
My actinics come on at 8:00am and go off at 9:00pm

the MH lights come on at 11:30am and go off at 8:00pm.

fishlover2

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 13:21:12 »
do i leave my moon lights on all the time? also it comes with a wavemaker application for 2 powerheads so i think thatll be good too

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 13:23:26 »
I'm guessing your moonlights are LEDs, correct? If so, it won't hurt to leave them on 24/7. It'll take a good many years to burn them out.

fishlover2

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 13:24:43 »
yeah your right.....how long do you go with your acentics and daylights on ohio reef?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 13:38:03 »
FWIW, I leave my actinics on 14 hours/day and my PC's on 12 hours/day.  The actinics come on an hour before and go off an hour later.  I started out with a lot less hours until I started keeping SPS & a clam. 

I'd start lower until you know you can go longer.  It really depends on what you're keeping though.  Keep an eye out for algae blooms.  Length of lights being on also depends on your budget.

fishlover2

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 13:44:32 »
right now i have 3 frags of soft corals and a couple anemones for my perculas.....how much light would u recommend?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 13:58:03 »
What kind of anemone?  How long have you had them? 

fishlover2

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 14:00:06 »
i have two anemones acutally....a purple tipped sabae anemone and also a green bubble tipped anemone...the sabae ive had about a month and the green bubble tipped ive had for about 2 weeks

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 14:02:37 »
What is your current lighting schedule?

fishlover2

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 14:04:04 »
right now i have to do it manually which is a pain but i turn the acentics on at about 9 30....then i turn the mh on about 10 30......i turn off the mh at around 8 then the acentics off at about 9 30...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 14:05:06 »
Sounds like a good schedule to me.  Go to Wal-Mart and get some timers and you're good to go!  :)

fishlover2

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 14:11:46 »
well on sunday i ordered a timer online...it has two timers....three outlets for lights....and also 2 outlets for powerheads that are supposed to work it at a wavemaker application, so hopefully it will work out

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 15:22:50 »
yeah your right.....how long do you go with your acentics and daylights on ohio reef?

Before my tank crash I was on this schedule:

Actinics On 12PM
Daylights On 1PM
Refuge/Moonlights Off 1PM
Daylights Off 9PM
Refuge/Moonlights On 9PM
Actinics Off 10PM

All my timers got fried in the crash and I haven't had a chance to replace them so the moonlights have been on 24/7 and everything else is on for 8 hours/day. I really want a Reefkeeper controller for the tank, but the funds haven't allowed that yet.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 15:24:23 »
Just a warning, be careful about getting cheapo timers/extension cords...I've known a few people so far to have fires. Get some timers on a surge protector.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 15:26:14 »
Also make sure you have everything on a GFI! When my tank leaked the GFI shut everything off. Not only did that save my pump, but could have very well prevented a fire.

fishlover2

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 16:59:39 »
this is the timer i ordered: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=945
tell me what you think about it, did i make a right choice?

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 17:23:54 »
By using such "safety" methods as a GFI you can actually set your tank up to be fully nuked. Here's the situation most reefkeepers try to setup. They first equip their system with a grounding probe, connecting their tank to a ground on a powerstrip, or similar electrical breakout box. Then at the end of that breakout box they place a single ground fault monitor. Their system runs fine for years and years, and the ground fault never trips. Then one tuesday summer day they wake up, check the tank, everything looks fine, and go to work. 2 minutes after walking out the front door, a seal leaks just a bit on their heater and some stray voltage creeps into the tank. When this potential is created, current leaks through the ground wire and into the ground fault monitor, tripping it and shutting the power strip off. The tank now sits with no water movement as the sun comes up. Light enters the tank from the surroundings and the fish wake up and start swimming about. They quickly produce excess CO2 and the tank's pH crashes while the O2 depleats. Fish and corals begin gasping for O2 that the stagnant water can no-longer exchange. It's now about 5pm and most of your fish are near death while your corals are allready on their way there. You run a few errands after work, come home, pick the kids up and whisk them straight away to some extra-curricular, never looking at your tank. By the time you get them home at 9-10pm you walk in the door and smell something funny. Immediately you sprint to your tank only to find it dark and smelling like rotting ocean. You quickly see the GFI is tripped and everything is shutoff. You get the main lights back on and your fish are all dead, corals all retracted, and the water is like a thick cloudy soup. All because the GFI tripped right after you left the house.

is this a worse case situation.  Yes.  will it happen probably not, could it, maybe

A possible what to possibly protect your tank is if you first connect your powerheads and sump pumps to the main circuitry, and then upstream from it place a GFI and upstream from that your remaining components, at least that way if the GFI trips due to a current leak, you still have flow and likely a live tank when you get home.

slandis3

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 19:19:57 »
this is the timer i ordered: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=945
tell me what you think about it, did i make a right choice?

that's the same timer i had fail about 2 months after i got it. It would not turn anymore. I took it back and the same thing happened a few weeks later. I went to Lowe's and got a heavy duty timer for 5 or 6 dollars and haven't had a problem.

fishlover2

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 19:23:28 »
well thats not good news lol
i guess well have to wait and see how it goes with it, i hope it works out

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 21:24:06 »
I would prefer to risk nuking a tank as opposed to losing my house or worse yet my life due to a leak.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2007, 11:06:20 »
Speaking of heaters losing a seal...just happened to me.  Thankfully I was playing around in the tank...stuck my hand in...and ZAP.  Granted, it didn't feel too good to me, but that probably saved my critters. 

I have my tank on two different circuits in case anything trips.  I'll definitely let my tank nuke before my house does.  Anyway, we lost power one night for 6 hours and we didn't know it until the next morning.  Granted there was no sunlight streaming through the window, but still...everything was fine.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 11:54:32 »
it was a worse case scenario type deal thats all.  just something to think about. 

I had a heater just loose a seal recently to, only found out when I stuck my hand in as well.