2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 22:57:14 »
I have this light available that may work for ya .. The latest price is $30

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8609.0

Just FYI  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 22:59:30 by kennv431 »
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:12 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 11:13:07 »
If you can get it for 50$ it is s great deal. Check the fans, the are notrious for going out on the older models.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:17 »
yea i had plans to plug it in and let it run for a few minutes, making sure the lights and fans all work.... does it look complete? and im trying to figure out what that pump is for and exacly how it works? i guess it goes on the far left andpumps water up and into the overflow to next compartment, and repeats itself till it finds its way to the hole at the far right side?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:47 »
the pump goes in the chamber on the far right, pumping water from the back, up and through the nozzel you can see in the upper right corner and back into the aquarium. Water then makes its way through the slots on the left, through filtration media and back to the pump.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 12:53:26 »
FYI - I think the right lid hinge broken. May it doesn't  matter to you. This was a common problem with them as well. Gerber's used to have a lot of these used and the hinge's seemed to be broke on most. Also may be missing the lock line but not really required. I removed mine as it is an eye sore.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 13:07:43 »
FYI - I think the right lid hinge broken. May it doesn't  matter to you. This was a common problem with them as well. Gerber's used to have a lot of these used and the hinge's seemed to be broke on most. Also may be missing the lock line but not really required. I removed mine as it is an eye sore.

lock line?

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 13:10:12 »
and i thought the hindge looked broke, but thats even more for me to use to negotiate down with, as i dont mind if its broke or not, as long as it still works and functions the way its suppost to. thats all that matters

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 13:25:47 »
The black tubing in this picture is the Loc-Line. It is used to direct the flow from the return pump
                                             :th_ShowLetter:

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 13:56:13 »
Ahh, good to know..
and i never did get the answer of what LR , time to google.... and now i feel completely dumb as it is live rock LOL.....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 14:22:36 by 213chrisp »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 15:39:34 »
Ahh, good to know..
and i never did get the answer of what LR , time to google.... and now i feel completely dumb as it is live rock LOL.....

Just a porus rock that hosts bacteria, and other tiny organizations.  I personally think its a much better "bang for the buck" to buy "base rock" (~$2/lb).  its just dry dead rock.... fill it up with base rock and few peices of live rock (~$7/lb) to seed it.  in a few months all your rock will become "live" :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 15:45:36 »
yes thats what i was reading and since the tank will be completely new, it shoudlt be a problem, and ill probably hold off on the fish for a few months any to let everything come around and let the life grow some. and i got a reply from the owner of the tank and the lights and fans have been replaced just before it was stipped down for storage just a year ago, and was able to meet her half with with 65.00 dollars, so i am trying to make arangements to go pick up tonight.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 17:58:36 »
thats cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 20:59:02 »
i have the tank and its on the end of my pc desk right where its resting place will be and fits well... now i just have to stop and get sand rocks and water..... just gotta figure out when i can make it...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 21:12:50 »
If you want to get all the white hard calcium deposits out of it, fill it with water and a half gallon of vinegar. Run the pump for a day and rinse. It will look like new.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 21:23:28 »
its actualy really clean, doesnt gother me because i plan to cover most of the back with rocks anyway, so not a issue for me

the top looks great and not broke, both hindges were good, it was a pain for them so they keep it off, and he said the loc line never came with it.. so no biggie for me, the fans look almost new, and its still up and running right now..
what was include with the tank
saltwater test kit.
the small magnet cleaner
syphon tube to clean sand.
3 large foam pads ( i think for filter) looks brand new
sack of sand ( i think part of media for filter)
and the bio balls in bag
hydrometer made by coralife.
a timer for the lighting
Auga pro-cure

and it looks like 4 floating bio balls that flat around in the tank i beleive.

and about 100 dollars wiorth of tank decoration items ill never use because its all fake

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 21:39:47 »
I think you got a great deal, congrats.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 22:30:34 »
its actualy really clean, doesnt gother me because i plan to cover most of the back with rocks anyway, so not a issue for me

the top looks great and not broke, both hindges were good, it was a pain for them so they keep it off, and he said the loc line never came with it.. so no biggie for me, the fans look almost new, and its still up and running right now..
what was include with the tank
saltwater test kit.
the small magnet cleaner
syphon tube to clean sand.
3 large foam pads ( i think for filter) looks brand new
sack of sand ( i think part of media for filter)
and the bio balls in bag
hydrometer made by coralife.
a timer for the lighting
Auga pro-cure

and it looks like 4 floating bio balls that flat around in the tank i beleive.

and about 100 dollars wiorth of tank decoration items ill never use because its all fake

I would get rid of the test kits.  If the tank has been setting for a year the kits aren't any good.

I would also get rid of the hydrometer and get a refractormeter WAY more accurate.

Other than that looks like a good deal.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 22:33:45 »
I think you got a great deal, congrats.

+1!  I got a heck of a deal on a setup when I got into the hobby. And I thought "well, now I got the expensive part it should be cheap from here" LOLOLOLOL

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 22:34:48 »
+1!  I got a heck of a deal on a setup when I got into the hobby. And I thought "well, now I got the expensive part it should be cheap from here" LOLOLOLOL

Happens to us all. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:44 »
oh i know the expensive part is far from over but its a good solid start, and i think tonight ill try to get it setup and running tonight with basic stuff , but well find out later tonight, and just hope im not slammed at work today so i can do some reasearch to find out what i need to buy now.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:29 »
I got some dry rock rubble and some established rock in my sump if you want, to help get you started.   

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:13 »
i might be interested.. i just am not sure when i can get around to picking anything up because of my hours. let me know how much for 10 lbs of rock and where your located and get back with you.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 14:07:35 »
i might be interested.. i just am not sure when i can get around to picking anything up because of my hours. let me know how much for 10 lbs of rock and where your located and get back with you.
I probably have about 10 lbs of rubble you can have. Just bring a bucket :)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 21:44:10 »
how about we plan for one day during the week, im gong out of town tomrrow night after work and wont be home till late sunday and since i dont have sand or water yet, kinda pointless to get live rock if i have no water to put it in LOL...... so ill have to figure that out during the same day i can swing by to get the rocks, thursday is my best day because i am off work... but if i figure out the saltwater part i can do it anyday after i get off work, and being i work in leo st in downtown dayton , im in a good central location for just about anywhere and i get off typcialy around 630.