2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater  (Read 8217 times)

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 01:59:16 »
I wouldn't recommend distilled water  ... Get the RO water at Cubs ect... buy it by the 5 gallon or 1 gallon ...pay $14 or so for the first 5 gallon bottle and then its only like a 1.37 per gallon to refill it

I dont recommend the distilled water because it can contain copper due to the process of distillation. You just never know.

So I recommend the RO.

IMO :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:56 »
Hey Ken, I think you meant the other way around. RO water could contains copper and other nasties not distilled water.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 02:22:31 »
I am trying to find the article I read about it but it has to do with the cooling coils in the distillation systems being copper. Since its at the end of the process, the copper hitches a ride in the final product.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:07 »
Sounds plausible however my guess is, it is an insignificant amount. RO water typically runs 15-100+ Total Dissolved Solids as apposed to 0 for RO+DI water.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:37 »
I wouldn't recommend distilled water  ... Get the RO water at Cubs ect... buy it by the 5 gallon or 1 gallon ...pay $14 or so for the first 5 gallon bottle and then its only like a 1.37 per gallon to refill it

I dont recommend the distilled water because it can contain copper due to the process of distillation. You just never know.

So I recommend the RO.

IMO :)

The problem with the  RO water you buy at the store is you don't know when their filters were last changed, you may be buying nothing more than tap water.  I believe Russ at BFS even told us at the meeting that was a big NO NO.   Most distilled water is 99.9% pure, check the label.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:17 »
Most distilled water is 99.9% pure, check the label.
i have heard that on  distilled
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:25 »
i have heard that on  distilled

I had always heard not to use distilled water, i just happin to have a gallon of Meijer distilled water here so i did a TDS test on it and hers the reading
001 not bad at all, id use it!!!

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:14 »
ok so distilled water it will be...... il go on my lunch break and buy 10 gallons as its all i will need after i get the rocks and sand in there, and be still way to much.........

i filled up the tank and put the salt in and let it run all night, this morning it was testing at 1.275 so as a newbie i didnt measure the water it actualy took and put in accoriding to the label of the salt for 11 gallons.  so im going to have to restart anyway... this time ill be able to measure better this time since i know exactly how much is going in and ill leave it short this time as well to make sure i dont go over again on the salinity.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:47 »
and i sent a email to coral ranch to get hours and some information and never have heard back yet, so hopefuly sonmeone can tell me there hours of operation and may swing out there thursday.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:06 »
well here are some options then, i can go to walmart and distilled water is .82 per gallon, had no larger containers for it, or i can go to gerbers and get RO water at .49, or already mixed saltwater for .79 gallon........ is it me or does that seem to be a decent price for RO water?

http://saltwaterwarehouse.com/Gerbers_Saltwater_Warehouse/Services.html

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:30 »
Where are you located and how many gallons do you need??

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 13:10:58 »
next to bojangles and bw3's by interstate ford, and 12 gallons, i would think after all said and full, about 8 or so...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 14:06:58 »
Bring some jugs when you come and I'll see you some <5 TDS water for cheaper than stores.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 14:23:12 »
ok cool, i have a larger container now that may hold about 8-10 gallons and ill have to go find me another 5 gallon bucket with a lid..... i guess ill hit up home depot on my way home....

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2010, 15:18:48 »
Where are you located and how many gallons do you need??

I was just going to give you TDS 0 for free

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2010, 15:54:22 »
how about i get some from you both  :smiley-happy112:, i can get some from you tonight if possiable and ill swap out what i have for the new water and get it setup ,and then when i come get the rocks and sand ill get a small amout to transport for me home to keep for tapoff... :)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2010, 08:49:45 »
I was just going to give you TDS 0 for free

thanks to harley i swapped out my water i had for the tds 0, and added less salt this time, and its right on the money this time... woke up and it tested at 1.021 and water temp was 74-75 ish but the heater was still running so hopefully by the time i get home it should be around 78-80 ish i would thing. if not ill adjust it up but so far looking good...

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:56 »
Your gonna wanna bump the SG up to 1.026, or 35ppm.  Most saltwater keepers run a SG of 1.025-1.027, the recomended 1.021 is a little low for home aquarium use.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:42 »
thats the plan once i get eveything going, because i dont have fish or coral yet, wasnt such a huge issue, once i get the rocks and everything in, ill probably get a damsey from someone and let it help cycle the tank, and then once i start adding frags, then ill slowly increase at that point.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:42 »
It's easier to increase it now and not cause stress on any fish, even a damsel.  Besides if you put live rock in your system of 1.021 and it comes from a system of 1.026 your gonna kill off some stuff.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:12 »
ok ill increas it to around .025 to be kinda the middle of everything, and going to jacks on lunch to get a ph buffer as well. because i know i will have to have it for the rocks, fish and corals.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:31 »
question about filtration, Being i am going to do the reef setup and getting the live rock tomorrow, i know it becomes a large natural filter basicaly, the nano comes with 3 sections for filtration, keep the foam , and then remove the bio balls and the ceramic rings and just keep the carbon pellets in the filer? or remove them as well???

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2010, 17:57:55 »
I would keep the carbon, but I've never ran a Nano so I'm not 100% that is correct.  But I don't see how it could hurt.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2010, 17:58:44 »
ok ill increas it to around .025 to be kinda the middle of everything, and going to jacks on lunch to get a ph buffer as well. because i know i will have to have it for the rocks, fish and corals.

Your salt mix already has buffer.  Trying to adjust the pH will get things crazy quick.  Stability is more important that dead on correctness. 

question about filtration, Being i am going to do the reef setup and getting the live rock tomorrow, i know it becomes a large natural filter basicaly, the nano comes with 3 sections for filtration, keep the foam , and then remove the bio balls and the ceramic rings and just keep the carbon pellets in the filer? or remove them as well???

ceramic rings will basically do that same job as liverock, running a little carbon would be fine, otherwise you can do a mod to grow macroalgae in there (if your a DIY type person. google it).  Im sure others that have run BC can chime in with their filter setups.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2010, 19:32:59 »