2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY heat exchanger  (Read 4526 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
just a little demo
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 23:00:34 »
This is just a little demo, not big enough for anything serious. Just wondered what you all thought about it. Its a layer of plastic along the outer edge of only 2 sides, then tin foil, then stacked accordingly to the image and crazy glued together. I think with tinfoil being so thin, that it should do well with transferring heat. Granted, if its 30 degrees outside and 70 inside, the air coming in will only get up to 50, which really isnt all that bad.

A real model that i would test would probably be about 10" unlike this 4" model.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 23:07:05 by DarinSchmidt »

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: DIY heat exchanger
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 23:33:34 »
Looks like you've been busy! Great progress!

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 20:44:32 »
Hey came across this on reef central. Looks like an easy build for an exchanger.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047135

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 22:51:26 »
I've always been worried about humidity as we speak the relative humidity in my house is 51% even though the central air has ran non-stop for the last week.  I've read several websites that say anything over 60% (some sites say 50%) is not healthy for the occupants of your home since mold spores and even dust mites reproduce quicker.  I've read a ton about lowering the humidity inside the home and one of the most surprising things I remember reading is that each person that lives in your home releases about 3 pints per day by just breathing.  So if you have a family of four and you sit at home all day you are producing a gallon of half of water from just breathing.  If each person takes a ten minute shower that produces another four pints of moisture.     

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:56 »
I've always been worried about humidity as we speak the relative humidity in my house is 51% even though the central air has ran non-stop for the last week.  I've read several websites that say anything over 60% (some sites say 50%) is not healthy for the occupants of your home since mold spores and even dust mites reproduce quicker.  I've read a ton about lowering the humidity inside the home and one of the most surprising things I remember reading is that each person that lives in your home releases about 3 pints per day by just breathing.  So if you have a family of four and you sit at home all day you are producing a gallon of half of water from just breathing.  If each person takes a ten minute shower that produces another four pints of moisture.     

Great bit of information! I will be looking more into ways to reduce the moisture.