2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Switching salt question  (Read 1588 times)

Offline j80

• Juvenile
Switching salt question
« on: October 23, 2011, 22:02:14 »
For the last 11 months I have been using regular instant ocean salt. I was going to go fish only but that lasted about a month. I am going to reef crystals now, Is there anything to look for or any tips when switching salts?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Switching salt question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 22:05:20 »
just the amount of mag, calc and such that it has in it. If you have a lot of corals and such i would prob go with RSCP so you are sure that your tank has enough minerals in it for them. But if you are starting out with a few, RC is good enough IMO.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 22:10:07 »
When switching salts start slow. I always start by mixing 1 part of the new with 3 parts of the old salt. I do this for 2 water changes. Then I go half for 3 water changes, lastly I go 3 parts the new salt and 1 part until I run out of the old salt. Some people just switch and have had no problems others ( like myself) tried to switch from 1 brand to the next and have something go wrong.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 22:11:54 »
RSCP is the other one I have been looking at, I might go with that one. Do i just use the new salt when i do a water change or should i mix them at first?

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 22:13:24 »
What goes wrong when switching?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 22:14:21 »
I'd do what slandis3 said to be safe. RSCP is more expensive and if you have few corals, i dont think that it would benefit you. But everyone has their own preference. I have a ton of coral in mine and been using RC, but thats mainly because people buy it off me and rarely do i get anyone that wants RSCP so i have fresh stock in RC all the time.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 22:15:20 »
you could have a PH shock, or who knows what with all the differences in the two types of salts. Maybe one brand has more P04 in it, could have gotten a bad batch of salt on you luck of the draw.... Just a few examples.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 22:29:24 »
Ok Thanks, I think i will try RC for now.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 22:51:41 »
If you want my opinion, the RSCP is the best thing going for stony corals.  If that's the direction you're headed in your tank, then go that route.  If you're going for softies and some LPS, then Reef Crystals, Seachem, or TMRP.  If you go with the RSCP, then you definitely want to mix the salts as Mike had suggested.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 22:54:06 »
def mix ur salt
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34:28 »
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:57 »
Darin,

Do you sell RC or just stock it for "personal use". PM with price if you sell it.