2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: wonder if?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline HUNGER

wonder if?
« on: December 27, 2011, 22:49:08 »
I wonder if we could get deal on some mp40s and do a group buy on them
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: wonder if?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 22:56:43 »
I purchased my 40s and 10s thru a guy on ebay.  he gave me a good deal when I was buying multiple.  Dont quote me but I believe I got my 2 mp40wes for around 750.  I have purchased both my 40s, 3 10s, backup battery, and all my neptune stuff thru him.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 22:57:21 »
They have MAP pricing or whatever it is called when the manufacture sets the price.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 23:14:38 »
I wonder if we could get deal on some mp40s and do a group buy on them

I'd be down for another MP60

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:14 »
I purchased my 40s and 10s thru a guy on ebay.  he gave me a good deal when I was buying multiple.  Dont quote me but I believe I got my 2 mp40wes for around 750.  I have purchased both my 40s, 3 10s, backup battery, and all my neptune stuff thru him.

Adam,
 can you PM me the info on this guy ?

thanks,
Larry

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:12 »
They have MAP pricing or whatever it is called when the manufacture sets the price.

this is the story i have heard over an over also. but there has been places giving 10% group buy discounts & free shipping. but what that price is compared to the actual MAP pricing is i don't know. i have never shopped around alot for these. my 10's & 40's were used from club member's on couple forum's. i could be in for battery backup's in a group buy.     

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:28:32 »
i could be in for battery backup's in a group buy.     

Just use a 12v deep cycle marine battery.   Get the power plug connectors at Radio Shack.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30:30 »
Just use a 12v deep cycle marine battery.   Get the power plug connectors at Radio Shack.

THANKS !!  some times the simplest solutions are right in front of you.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 13:04:46 »
Yeah, I cracked open an ecotech battery backup, expecting to find all kinds of charging circuits, etc..

Turns out it's just two 12v batteries and some connectors.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 13:11:21 »
Yeah, I cracked open an ecotech battery backup, expecting to find all kinds of charging circuits, etc..

Not surprised at all

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 13:24:26 »
this is the story i have heard over an over also. but there has been places giving 10% group buy discounts & free shipping. but what that price is compared to the actual MAP pricing is i don't know. i have never shopped around alot for these. my 10's & 40's were used from club member's on couple forum's. i could be in for battery backup's in a group buy.     

Ecotech sets the pricing and the specials when they have them. One of our own sponsors wen't below MAP and lost their license with ecotech. This is why every after thanksgiving for sale ad that gave entire site discounts always said at the bottom does not apply to vortec or radion products.  Purchasing Vortech from non authorized re-sellers runs the risk that you will have no warntee.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 13:27:59 »
I think one of our own sponsors wen't below MAP and lost their license with ecotech.

Just heard about this incident yesterday

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 13:32:20 »

Yup....12v sealed batteries.

Get a marine battery and a trickle charger and your set (Although you may have to add water once in a while).   I also use the marine battery for my tunze and Apex backup power.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 13:39:53 »
Is it okay to have marine battery in the house? I had always heard that it needs to be in a ventilated area. Maybe that is just one of those myth's?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 13:45:29 »
Is it okay to have marine battery in the house? I had always heard that it needs to be in a ventilated area. Maybe that is just one of those myth's?

just don't lick them and you should be fine ;P lol... I have never heard of any ventalation problems...Though I know the older/cheapre ones can sweat... and it can burn holes in carpets and wood etc... I always store mine in the garage.  I was working on a buddies boat, and his battery sweat left a nice rust impression in my new work bench.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 14:09:03 »
just don't lick them and you should be fine ;P lol... I have never heard of any ventalation problems...Though I know the older/cheapre ones can sweat... and it can burn holes in carpets and wood etc... I always store mine in the garage.  I was working on a buddies boat, and his battery sweat left a nice rust impression in my new work bench.

You can get a nice battery box fairly cheap to put them in to keep this from happening. Some of them come with lids I am sure you could seal it and run a vent tube out a window.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 14:13:46 »
Yes good call mike, I keep all of mine in batt boxes and up off the floors, usually insulated by a 2x4 or so... this particular battery did not have a box, and he put it on my bench when i was out of town, and when i came home a week later it had burnt me a nice rust square.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Viggen

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 14:30:58 »
I like the sealed batteries like Optima's so there is no worry of the battery leaking or venting nasty stuff into the air.  Cost a bit more but are great batteries.......
300g tub o fish

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 15:47:48 »
 i have two marine battery's in boxes in laundry room were sump pump is. they run a 24V sump pump so if power is out i have 24hrs of full pump capacity. havn't ever noticed any fumes or smells. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 17:41:49 »
Ecotech sets the pricing and the specials when they have them. One of our own sponsors wen't below MAP and lost their license with ecotech. This is why every after thanksgiving for sale ad that gave entire site discounts always said at the bottom does not apply to vortec or radion products.  Purchasing Vortech from non authorized re-sellers runs the risk that you will have no warntee.
thats why i want to go threw ecotech they mite do a better deal
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 17:46:38 »
everything that I have received has been brand new sealed in the box with warranty cards inside.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 17:55:25 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECOTECH-MARINE-VORTECH-MP10-MP40-MP20-BATTERY-BACKUP-/270527006657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efcaa87c1

This is the guy that my MP40's came from.  EcoTech had no problems with a warranty issue from this person.  I registered mine online with EcoTech.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 18:10:38 »
This is who I used on ebay.  dealsrus123456  everyone else said they could only do it at the regular price but this guy dropped them down.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 18:19:17 »
well i sent an email to ecotech and one to dealsrus123456. to see if we could get a deal
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 19:15:04 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECOTECH-MARINE-VORTECH-MP10-MP40-MP20-BATTERY-BACKUP-/270527006657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efcaa87c1

This is the guy that my MP40's came from.  EcoTech had no problems with a warranty issue from this person.  I registered mine online with EcoTech.

Because his list prices are in line with the MAP pricing.