2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bally's 40B  (Read 11004 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
Re: Bally's 40B
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 22:10:12 »
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 23:11:22 »
Nice job, everything is looking good.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 11:52:41 »
well some updates....
My new power head arrived, a Hydor Koralia 1050 I love it but dang is it powerful! My fuzzy mushroom seems to not like where I put it and is moving off of the plug. I can't decide if I want to move it or watch it move around it's pretty neat.

My 6 line wrasse seems to be having some sort of issue. She is hiding much more than usual, is breathing with her mouth open and rapid gill movements, and is almost pulsing in place. No side to side twitching but front to back almost like she is antsy. I did an emergency water change of 5 gal ( all i had at the time as my LFS is closed tues/wed ) and I'm going to be doing one again tonight. She appears to have some spots on her but I can't see her long enough to tell if they are bits of sand/rock from swimming through them or ich. I did note that the spots do not glow under actenic light. I tried to feed, but couldn't tell for certain if she is eating, I am leaning towards that she wasn't. She seemed better last night, not twitch or gasping as much but still had her mouth open. I saw her briefly this morning and she had a "fuzz" on her mouth, but I can't confrim if that was stuck to her or if it was just something from her poking around in the rock. I will check when I get home and hopefully have more details.  :'(
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:42 »
quick update :)

OUCH! fell in the sand bed when I wasn't home over the weekend, hopefully it recovers :(

turns out what I thought was  GSP is actually a pipe organ :)

This is always slightly bleached, has been for over a month now. No idea as to why

babies!

growing so very well!

I officially lost the multi colored brain today, but found there was a little green mushroom and a Kenya tree on the bottom so I guess it wasn't a total bust.
I am beginning to have a cyano problem. The cyano is mainly on the brain skeleton and the skeleton of the brain I lost, with a little on the rock work. I am not running any media, as I don't know where I would put it to run, I don't have a sump or anything. My wrasse doesn't appear to be picking on anyone in my CUC, my shrimp is out and about at lights out and my hermits are always out and about. Thats about all I have at the moment, as all my snails have mysterously turned into hermits  I have a few of the "zombie" snails that live in the sand bed and rise up when you feed them, idk the real name of them though. As for more flow, I can easily add it but it seems that everything is being battered by the flow that I have, it blows my sand out of the corners and my corals seem to close up in direct flow. I could add more sand and rock to perhaps fix that. It is also possible that I am babying my corals too much. Plus I don't know how the best flow arrangement is, perhaps needs some fiddling.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 20:06:52 »

My lovely assistant :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 20:15:36 »
U r getting some nice looken colonys
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 20:22:02 »
Lookin good! What species is that last pic?   ;) lol

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:56 »
Lookin good! What species is that last pic?   ;) lol

that would be a Spoiled Rotten.

here are some pictures. I'm currently battling a wicked cyano and bryopsis out break, my skimmer has been down for the past 3 weeks.It's all Reefpetes fault! :P
I've stepped up my wc's and that seems to be helping with the cyano but the bryopsis is a terror, contemplating on pulling the rock out and letting it dry and such.

(original)

(edit)

(original)

(edit)

( i know i know im due for a top off >.< )

I had successfully ticked everything off, had to tear apart a rock structure to rescue that dang grandis paly...again :-[

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:41 »
The dreaded bryopsis algae. That sucks. It is some nasty stuff. Mandrian pic is very nice.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 13:17:44 »
Time for a sea slug... Don't worry, they're very likable.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 14:16:08 »
I like your peeking clown pics. Do you know the base cause of your cayno problem? I ask becuase you are the second one on here within the a week or so that has had this problem. Just want to avoid any big problems.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 14:22:20 »
I like your peeking clown pics. Do you know the base cause of your cayno problem? I ask becuase you are the second one on here within the a week or so that has had this problem. Just want to avoid any big problems.

Reefpete broke my skimmer!!! just kidding...kinda lol he suggested I take it apart and when I did I found it was leaking, so all in all he probably saved me quite a bit of damage, but other than that I don't know  :-\

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 14:23:07 »
The dreaded bryopsis algae. That sucks. It is some nasty stuff. Mandrian pic is very nice.

Thanks!! He yells at himself in the glass all the time... crazy fish

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 14:23:33 »
Time for a sea slug... Don't worry, they're very likable.

sea slug? go on....

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 14:51:07 »
I'm currently looking for one or two myself. They are very versatile eaters of unwanted growth. Id go into greater detail, but typing on my phone is cumbersome and Google does a better job explaining it. Wall_tank has one and when we saw it we were both enamoured. He looks like a cross between a Scottish terrier, a placostomis and an uninflated balloon.

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 14:56:27 »
I'm currently looking for one or two myself. They are very versatile eaters of unwanted growth. Id go into greater detail, but typing on my phone is cumbersome and Google does a better job explaining it. Wall_tank has one and when we saw it we were both enamoured. He looks like a cross between a Scottish terrier, a placostomis and an uninflated balloon.

I just choked on my water, thank you for that lol

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 15:18:12 »
Anytime.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 15:48:47 »
Correction: sea hare, not sea slug...

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 16:57:57 »
Finally have my skimmer back up and running. It appears that my heater is taking a carp though.  :-[

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:43 »
Reefpete broke my skimmer!!! just kidding...kinda lol he suggested I take it apart and when I did I found it was leaking, so all in all he probably saved me quite a bit of damage, but other than that I don't know  :-\

What the....? Okay, I'll take full blame for being the one who suggested that you clean your skimmer cup & neck. I never said anything about breaking the pump. Glad to hear thats its been taken care of though.

On another note, I would just like to thank you for a wonderful tour of the greater Cleveland aquarium. I had an amazing weekend!

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2012, 23:04:59 »
What the....? Okay, I'll take full blame for being the one who suggested that you clean your skimmer cup & neck. I never said anything about breaking the pump. Glad to hear thats its been taken care of though.

On another note, I would just like to thank you for a wonderful tour of the greater Cleveland aquarium. I had an amazing weekend!

You are more than welcome! Hopefully you come back soon!!

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 12:45:57 »
Skimmer up and running: CHECK!
Chilly fishies: in the works
Corals starting to look perkier: CHECK

Noticed that my rainbow acan frag is growing another head or two, they are too teeny to really count them, but I'm going to anyway!
My cyano and bryopsis problem seem to be under control-ish. It isn't getting better yet, but isn't getting any worse though either, still looking for a lettuce nudi locally.

I've decided that my tank is too yellow, and when these bulbs go bad I'll be looking for new ones so any suggestions on bulb combination would be stellar please and thank you! Probably would help to know that I have a 4 bulb t5VHO fixture :)

I'm sure I'll have more pictures soon (feels weird to make a post without any)

*runs off to the tank to take pictures*

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:38 »
just wanted to say your tank looks great.  i have yet to start a saltwater tank, haven't really decided on what size i wanted to go with.  i thought about tryin to do a nano but hear that they are harder than the mid size tanks for newbies.  then i was thinkin of a standard 55 as i can get them everywhere for cheap, but really wanted something with more depth so was thinkin 75, but wasn't sure if i wanted to start off that big.  i like the look of the your tank, has the depth for more creative rock work, on the shollow end so don't need MH to get great lighting.  i was wondering what lights and skimmer u are using on ur set up

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:51 »
just wanted to say your tank looks great.  i have yet to start a saltwater tank, haven't really decided on what size i wanted to go with.  i thought about tryin to do a nano but hear that they are harder than the mid size tanks for newbies.  then i was thinkin of a standard 55 as i can get them everywhere for cheap, but really wanted something with more depth so was thinkin 75, but wasn't sure if i wanted to start off that big.  i like the look of the your tank, has the depth for more creative rock work, on the shollow end so don't need MH to get great lighting.  i was wondering what lights and skimmer u are using on ur set up

Thank you!
I started my salty career with a 30 gal aquapod. I didn't have any difficulties with it. If you're going to start out with a 55 I'd get the majority of your equipment to te size of your 75, that way when you ineviteatably upgrade you dont have to buy all the bits and pieces again :)
I have a coralife 4 bulb T5 VHO light ( as to what kinds of bulbs, it's whatever it came with ) and an eshoppes PSK 75H skimmer.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 15:49:32 »
Just to clean up your tank build, I started a new thread over the discusion on tank sizes

It can be found here.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=13499.0
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank