2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Looking for carpet anemones  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Squidword Tentacles

• Fry
Looking for carpet anemones
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:56 »
Hello. I am in the market for a few giant carpet anemones for my clowns. Don't mind traveling. I have corals and fish for trade or cash. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

120 Gallon Drilled Reef tank with a 55 gallon sump/refugium
Custom Maple Stand (still under construction)
6 Bulb T-5 lighting (only using 4 currently)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Looking for carpet anemones
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:46:48 »
Just my experience, a 120 is not enough tank for a few carpet anemones. They get really large and can move rock structures if they decide to plant their foot somewhere else. I had 1 in a 90 and it was huge. Turning over rock structures was no problem. I loved it and so did my clowns, but I had to get rid of it.

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 18:06:28 »
Hey Steve I appreciate the info. I'm actually getting ready to set up a few 40 gallon breeders or 50 gallon tanks to house my breeding clowns. Basically it would just be the clowns and their anemones.  With a little rock. I am looking for younger anemones at this point, I should have clarified. My LFS don't stock them on any kind of regular basis so I'm just trying to see what's out there

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 00:20:06 »
I could go on and on about the bad ideas of your plan.   Please heed the advise given here, carpets are not the way to go for what your looking to do.  Breeding tanks are not usually pristine.......carpets don't fare well in dirty water.  They get way too big way too fast for the tanks your planning to put them in.  Yes it's fun to watch clowns play in them, but when they move, it's not if they move,  it's when, they can and will wreck your rockscape and anything else in the tank.  They will eat anything they can grab......and their sting is a bitch.  I ended up having 2 - 24" hadonni's in my 180g at one point.  They looked awesome.....it's an incredible animal to keep, but please make sure you have a WELL MATURED setup as it's needed.  The amount of waste they produce is crazy and will wreck a young tank.

I could go on and on....but won't.  Go with bubble tips or some other easier nem........Carpets are not a good idea for your plan.

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:31 »
Hey Neo.  Thanks for the info. The saddles and the clarkiis don't want to take to BTA. The guy I got them from had a really nice 185 and they were hosting in carpets. Are there any smaller carpets or a different type of anemone that anyone gas had luck with? I am building a 4 aquarium system that will be linked to a 90 gallon sump/refugium  in the basement with a skimmer. I thought this would be sufficient filtration for just about anything given the lack of livestock. If I am wrong I certainly would appreciate any input. I'm not trying to go broke, just trying to do up a fun setup for the family as well as myself. Believe me I am posting on here to gain knowledge. Thanks

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 14:25:54 »
You may very well have sufficient filtration, but your 120 is borderline size wise, and the rest are just to small.  Your clowns will host with time, very few jump into any nem immediately.

I'm not telling you not to do it, I just think it's a very bad idea, and will be a very costly lesson in the end.  What it boils down to is, your 120g is borderline to small.  They rest are too small period the end.  Carpets are tough to keep to start with, they are very poor shippers which translates in very tough to get a healthy specimen. A LOT die shortly after arriving at your lfs.   Hadonni's are the easiest, they only get tougher with other species. 

As a test, take a piece of plexi, cut a 2ft circle, and try to place that in your tank.  You'll be giving up half your tank just to that nem.  Does your rockscape even support putting a nem in?  Is there room for it to safely set it's foot in the sand?  What about how your rock and how it's stacked.  Is it stacked well enough to take a nem burying it's foot under them without collapse?  Mine moved entite stacks of rock when they decided to move. Then comes the issue of a cramped tank, and your nem now eating anything it touches.  That includes clean up crew, a fish that rub up against it, anything really, I found emerald crabs to be very bad....they wouldn't stay away and always wound up dead withing a week. I literally had a graveyard of shells and critters that fell prey to it. They are stickier than duct tape, and their sting is not very friendly....unlike a bta which most humans don't' even feel.  A carpet will wrap itself around you, and then you have to make the decision of possibly killing the carpet trying to peel it off, and wait until it decides your not food and lets go....all the while suffering the effects of it's sting.  You will get hit by it eventually, we all do no matter how hard we try to stay away.

After having mine for around 2 years I think it was, and what I learned, what your thinking of trying is doable, but your certainly not giving yourself the best chance to keep them alive long term.   I personally feel that you'll hate it within months.

These are my experiences and recommendations......take them or leave them, but please keep us posted on your project.  I love clows and wish I had room for more tanks just so I could keep more than the 2 pairs I have.

Some pics to prove it......tank pre nem......notice how high the rock is stacked.  I took a lot of time making sure everything locked together.

Tank with both nems....notice how much the tank changed due to the nems knocking stuff down.  Here they are 18" or so big.   I don't have any pics of when they were 24"

Individual pics of the nems.

and here's what your tank looks like when they decide to go for a walk.  Notice in all 3 pics the purple one is in a different spot.

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 15:03:30 »
Thanks again Neo. I see what you are saying. I think the main problem was my misidentification. I was actually going to pick up two Hadonis from a guy in Northern Kentucky but he sold them becore I had a chance to get them. I am actually looking for Hadonis not giants. Those Giants are ridiculous. Sweet but not what I was going for. Thanks for putting in the extra effort with the explanation and the pics. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 15:49:39 »
All Hadonni's get this large.  There is only one type.   If your thinking maxi-mini's, they don't host any clowns.

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:41:14 »
Cool. I've been doing some more research.  I have found that the saddle clowns and clarki clowns will also host in sebae anemones.  Has anyone had success with this type of anemone ?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 13:48:16 »
I have kept sebae anemones before and they get really large also. My nephew had one and it was without a doubt the largest anemone I have seen in anyone's tank. I had saddleback clowns and they hosted in a BTA. No experience with Clarki's. 

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 18:06:24 »
Unfortunately not what I was hoping to hear but facts are facts.  I guess my only real choice vis some more bta's. I don't think it's going to look quite as impressive but I still plan on starting the framing this weekend for the unit that will hold the four tanks. If there's any interest I will post in another area. Otherwise I'm not in the market for carpets anymore. Thanks for all the info Neo and Steve. I believe you saved me a lot of disappointment. 

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 21:16:55 »
I wouldn't count out BTA's.  There are some seriously stunning ones out there, for about the same price as a nice carpet.  Look into Flame's, Lemon Drops....there are some really cool ones with the bonus if they split you get to make back your investment.

Here's my current one.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 21:24:28 »
I wouldn't count out BTA's.  There are some seriously stunning ones out there, for about the same price as a nice carpet.  Look into Flame's, Lemon Drops....there are some really cool ones with the bonus if they split you get to make back your investment.

I agree Scott. Some of the BTA's get size on them also, would be the perfect fit for a 40 breeder.

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 00:11:25 »
Yes that is an impressive looking nem. I guess the next question would be am I going to have to order something b like that. I definitely have not seen anything like that in the lfs that I frequent.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 00:37:48 »
Frag swaps are a great place....or watch the forums.  You never know when someone may have a split.  Either that or pony up a little more and mail order.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 07:40:07 »
Bought a rainbow bta at the c-sea swap last weekend, stunning.  Also have Colorado sunburst, two varieties of rose, and a green.  All propagated in captivity, which is a huge advantage when it comes to getting a healthy specimen.   Another advantage of going with BTA over the carpet is you'll also be in the BTA breeding business by default.  Carpets aren't known to split, BTAs can be prolific and can command a decent price.  ^-^

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:34 »
 :P  Just FYI if anyone doesn't know.....carpets reproduce via sexual reproduction.   AKA they spawn.   It really throws a tank for a loop as they will turn the entire tank milky with what they eject.  It's a large amount of organic amount thrust into the tank at once which can cause problems.  I've never seen it in my tank, but have followed threads on others that have documented it.

Yes this is my side coming out where I learn way too much about the animals I house.

Hi my name is Scott, and I have a saltwater addiction problem.....rofl.   :-[

• Fry
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 09:23:49 »
So I woke up yesterday and my gbta had split into two. Just need 2 more now.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 10:09:47 »
Awesome!!!   Splits are always nice.

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 19:35:51 »

So just thought people might like to see. The first two are pics of the bta before the split. The second set are the morning I realized it had split.  The last set of pics are of the tomatoes in their temporary home ( frag tank ) til I get their permanent home cycled. I added the maroon to the display and after battling it out with the pair of saddle clowns for the first hour, she has found the second new anemone. Everyone's getting along just fine.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 19:42:26 »
GSM and Tomato's, prepare to be bit!

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 23:08:17 »
Ha ha. That's why the tomato ' s came out before their tank was ready. The female was all over me every time I was in the tank. Soon it will just be them and their nem in their own little world that I don't need to disturb.  I can't help the GSM. They're my favorite but she will be going in her own tank as well

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 23:17:27 »
I think the GSM are the best looking clowns. I had a awesome breeding pair but they were in my DT and the female would tear me up every time I got in to work on the corals, they had to go.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 23:47:37 »
I think the GSM are the best looking clowns. I had a awesome breeding pair but they were in my DT and the female would tear me up every time I got in to work on the corals, they had to go.
I agree GSM's are really nice, under LED's they glow with a bright red edge to them, but I also agree they are mean little buggers! I had a pair that was really genital, they would swim up to my hand and actually let me hand net them out until I put a nem in there tank then it was the Male not the female that would nip me every time I got in the tank, even after they tore that Nem to shreds trying to love it too much they were never the same, unfortunately I had an accident with a heater sticking on in a Bio Cube so they are no longer with me. But I no have a pair of Black and Whites in my 75g that just started Hosting my rainbow Nem and low and behold its the male that gets me every time Im in the tank now, I hear everyone talk about how there females are aggressive, but for me it has been the total opposite. Chicks Dig ME!!!!! LMAO!