2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Duncan coral question.........  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Duncan coral question.........
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:35:36 »
I have a duncan coral that I have had for a few months now.  As far as I know it's doing ok and is healthy.  maybe

The tentacles of the main head are longish/stringy and very thin.  He has about 4 heads growing out of the base, which tells me that he's happy. 
But the tentacles leave me wondering about that.  What do long/very thin tentacles mean?  They have been this way since I received it.  I thought they were supposed to be shorter and more plump.

I feed the tank reef chili every few days, not sure if that matters.

I was looking for a picture on my phone of it, but I must have removed it. I'll try and upload one tonight.

Offline zachegg

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: Duncan coral question.........
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:41 »
I had some duncans in a tank with high flow and they had long skinny tentacles. I recently moved them to another tank in a lower flow area and they have shorted up. The polys have also opened up wider than I've ever seen them before. They were growing like crazy in the high flow tank so I don't think they care to much.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:42 »
polyps?  uh, I don't think I've ever seen a polyp on these. I see the main head and the tentacles.  theres more to them?

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:21 »
When I say polyp I mean the whole head. When they were in the high flow tank the fully opened head was about the side of a dime. Now they are almost the size of a quarter.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 20:43:14 »
here is a picture of the duncan. i dont like how much flow he gets on the one side, so i will shift him a bit to see if i can find a happier home.  the flow causes his tentacles to cover his head , at times i can see the whole thing.  but you can see the length and skinny tentacles i mentioned

2017-03-09_08-39-47 by Shawn D, on Flickr

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 23:46:16 »
I think it's looking pretty happy. Not sure I'd change anything. You have some small heads popping out of the base. I like the longer tenticals myself.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 23:49:18 »
You can experiment a bit with flow and find what you think is good. If it's growing and sprouting new heads I wouldn't be to quick to make changes.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 16:09:42 »
Agreed, he looks very healthy and happy to me!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 16:22:33 »
ok, I will let him run as is for a bit.  I still might change location though, slightly.  He is quarter/doubled over due to the flow.  just a spot that will decrease flow a little bit
I like to be able to see his head.  I know, I know,  It's not all about me.