Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Cleaning LED fixtures  (Read 79 times)

Offline Steve

• Elder
Cleaning LED fixtures
« on: December 17, 2020, 18:50:20 »
So one of my fans was making some noise and I opened my light up to take a look at it and my light was pretty dusty. They have been up for about 11 months and I hadn't cleaned the insides yet. Just curious, who cleans the insides of their LED fixtures and if so, how often?

Offline dbowman

• Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Cleaning LED fixtures
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:08:57 »
my questions are: Did you clean the dust? and Did it eliminate the noise?

i used to give my chinchilla her dust bath inside the house. all my electronics suffered from the dust storm. i now let her bathe on the porch when i clean the cage. when ever there is a fan cooled component. it would benefit from a floss filter velcro-ed over the intake 

Offline Steve

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:27:11 »
Yes I cleaned it and it did help with the noise. Didn't totally eliminate it, but helped considerably. May consider your velcroed floss approach.

Offline dbowman

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 15:31:59 »
I worked in an auto plant that was considered 'clean'. Every motor in the place which had a fan cooling it had two pieces of velcro (hook side) stuck to the sides of the vent. slap a piece of floss on there and even on verticals when not running, the floss stuck there. glance at it and if dirty, pull it off and put another piece on.  by the way they got dirty quick but the motors stayed clean and cool.