2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Black Friday  (Read 7140 times)

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: Black Friday
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2007, 22:11:24 »
yes probably not worth trying to have one repaired.  like many products of modern life it is disposable because of the sheer cost to fix it

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2007, 22:50:45 »
good link showing pros and cons of both

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2007, 22:53:04 »
yes probably not worth trying to have one repaired.  like many products of modern life it is disposable because of the sheer cost to fix it

Hence we bought the 5 year cover all warranty.  It's at least a little insurance.

Thanks for all the information Matt!  I'll try to explain what all that means to Russell.  :)

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2007, 23:01:00 »
Good link REDPYRO

bigfalcon36

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2007, 00:00:10 »
For a good brand, Plasma is usually less expessive for the same size television.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2007, 00:23:41 »
I picked up a 42" polaroid LCD today, I'm really impressed with the TV so far I picked it up for $800, Now I think it's time to upgrade my cable so I can watch some HD discovery channel.  The T.V. has a great picture using my new magnavox upconversion dvd player but it doesn't look as great when your watching regular TV.  I hope no one picked up a TV from Rex, I went there to pick up a stand and they had horrible customer service, lets just say I stood by the cash register for an hour to return the wrong stand they gave me so basically I drove an extra 60 miles to fix a mistake they made without any monetary compensation.  The manager was a complete jerk.  He yelled across the store at the only decent sales clerk and told him to go home, how unprofessional and demeaning can you get.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2007, 07:09:48 »
Cool Deal!  I didn't even know Rex was still open anywhere. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2007, 10:09:42 »
y ai wouldnt shop at rex

Offline verper

« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2007, 14:23:34 »
Another thing about Plasma vs LCD is viewing angles.  Plasma has a much wider viewing angle than the LCD's.  It's not a problem with LCD's if you sit right in front of the tv all of the time, but can be if you have multiple seating locations spaced out in a room.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2007, 17:09:33 »
Yep I can agree with that.  We have a projection big screen TV downstairs and we notice that.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2007, 18:22:03 »
Another thing about Plasma vs LCD is viewing angles.  Plasma has a much wider viewing angle than the LCD's.  It's not a problem with LCD's if you sit right in front of the tv all of the time, but can be if you have multiple seating locations spaced out in a room.

Not true according to the link posted earlier in this thread. It says a plasma has a viewing angle of 160 degrees and a LCD has a viewing angle of 175 degrees.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 19:54:44 by REDPYRO »

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2007, 19:55:06 »
Not true according to the link posted earlier in this thread. It says a plasma has a viewing angle of 160 degrees and a LCD has a viewing angle of 175 degrees.

Sorry didnt mean to modify that...meant to hit quote

i think it depends on the type of LCD too...DLP i think is different

Offline verper

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2007, 21:44:04 »

Well, its true on about every article I've read about them.  Maybe that article is wrong or written by a LCD lover.  Did you see that most of the advantages go to the LCD according to that article?

Nov 2007 Consumer Reports: "the (plasma) images onscreen look the same from almost any angle.......different story with LCD TVs.  Though some newer models have gotten better, most LCDs still look their best only from a limited sweet spot in front of the screen.  As you move off to the side, the picture quality deteriorates, appearing increasingly washed out or dim.  Vertical postition also matters- say, if you're sitting on the floor or watching an LCD set that's mounted above a mantelpiece.".

I was all set to get a LCD until I've read a few newer reviews.  Plasma still has some advantages in several ways.  Cost vs size, no lag on fast motion, deeper black levels and higher contrast.