2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I'm back...my new tank build  (Read 17224 times)

bigfalcon36

Re: I'm back...my new tank build
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 16:51:33 »
just being curious what type of price range are those? 

New the 612 is $325, but that is just for the reactor.  You still need to get the regulator/solenoid, CO2 bottle, and a pH controller.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 18:39:36 »
Welcome back!! 

*jealous**jealous**jealous**jealous*

bigfalcon36

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 18:51:57 »
Welcome back!! 

*jealous**jealous**jealous**jealous*

What's there to be jealous about?  You actually have an aquarium that has water in it.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 14:16:15 »
Travis!  Sounds like your new tank should be sweet. You were the first person I met when I first started reefkeeping and helped me get started with some coral!  It was much appreciated!!!  If you need any zoos I have a nice variety and could send some.  Are you coming back to the area or are you staying in Pennsylvania?  let me know about anything you might be looking for. If I can help ya out I'd like to! You did the same for me!

micah
Inspired!!!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 19:20:03 »
Travis!   Are you coming back to the area or are you staying in Pennsylvania?  let me know about anything you might be looking for. If I can help ya out I'd like to! You did the same for me!

micah

FYI-Travis lives in Kansas City now.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 19:35:10 by aquavista99 »

bigfalcon36

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 19:47:04 »
FYI-Travis lives in Kansas City now.

Micah, as Tim mentioned...the wife and I moved to KC about 6 months ago.  I will be back in the area to for the holidays and I have a few of my buddies weddings to go to.  I hope that I can make it out to a meeting if I can get lucky enough to have one fall when I am in the area.

As for things that I'm looking for...if you could find a legal way to get me 5 large buffle bags of $100 bills that would be great!  I'm sure Gary could help with some of the transportation and the loop holes to fool the Fed's.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 15:48:33 »
I'm sure Gary could help with some of the transportation and the loop holes to fool the Fed's.

Hey hey!! Don't be dragging me into your endeavors.....unless, of course, you make it worthwhile to me!!!  LOL!!

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

bigfalcon36

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:03 »

Hey hey!! Don't be dragging me into your endeavors.....unless, of course, you make it worthwhile to me!!!  LOL!!

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

I'll make it like Miami, FL in the 80's...corruption is a part of life

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 19:21:08 »
Did you buy the Deltec skimmer yet? It looks very nice!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 19:39:40 »
Did you buy the Deltec skimmer yet? It looks very nice!

Yeah, i went ahead and got the Deltec.  It's officially the Delted AP702...it was expensive as hell, but hopefully worth it.   It should be getting here after Valentines Day.  Here's a picture of this beast in action.  Not quite as big as Tim's Euro-Monster though...but I am happy with it.  I guess we will all see if it's worth the cash spent.  If it's not, you'll see it for sale on RC!

I'll also be posting pics this weekend, as I intend on getting the starboard for inside the display tank, starting the plumbing for the display, and getting my sump all rigged out.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 13:03:37 »
Looks like Deltec upgraded to Eheim 1262 pumps on your skimmer...very nice! I think Deltec previously used  Eheim 1260 pumps on the same model. My Euroreef uses the same Eheim 1262 pumps as well. Can't wait to see your new skimmer in action!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 15:57:41 »
Looks like Deltec upgraded to Eheim 1262 pumps on your skimmer...very nice! I think Deltec previously used  Eheim 1260 pumps on the same model. My Euroreef uses the same Eheim 1262 pumps as well. Can't wait to see your new skimmer in action!

I'm with you on the can't wait piece of it.  The 1262s are nice addition to an already sweet device.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 16:13:55 »
I talked to my sister today, she lives in Troy...she was talking about how miserable the weather has been back that direction.  Sorry to hear that.  Today in sunny KC, there was a high of 71 :)  So I had to take advantage of the nice weather and get out the power tools.  I decide today would be a good day to work on the return piping, sump and cut the star-board for the display...here are the results, I hope you like them.

Here are a few picture of the display with the star-board inserted:

Here are the pics of my return piping.  I used 3/4" piping on the return and it will have a total of 6 outputs...3 on each side of the overflow.  I used the Euro-bracing to support the PVC.  I also threaded in the Loc-Line fittings.  Turned out nicely!

Here are a few pictures of the new sump.  I decided to go with a 40 gallon breeder instead of the AGA 75 that I would have had to get baffles made for.  This sump came professionally constructed from a local guy here in KC.  It is drilled for a 1.5" bulkhead.  This thing is heavy duty and it drillable on all sides, even the bottom which gives me a lot of option for down the road.  It will also fit under my stand...my 75 would not have been able to.

Laying on it's side:

Top down look:

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 23:21:08 »
Nicely done!

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 23:35:56 »
I love the look of the Oceanic tanks.  Looks like you are on the way to one nice system.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:25 »
Nicely done!
I love the look of the Oceanic tanks.  Looks like you are on the way to one nice system.

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm just trying to take my time and do this as nice as the budget will allow.  I have been grabbing equipment over the last two years with the hope of setting this tank up.

I'll get the canopy put on tonight and take a full shot.

One question for those of you following...Right now the inside of my stand and canopy are just left with the wood grain.  Should I paint the inside with Killz and then silicone the edges?  What benefits (if any) are there to this type of design?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 13:11:42 »
I am not reading this whole thread...but i looked at the pics...nice

Welcome back Travis....

bigfalcon36

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 13:52:51 »
I am not reading this whole thread...but i looked at the pics...nice

Welcome back Travis....

Thanks Matt...you're up next, we need you to get the 55 back into the mix.  I was looking at the pics of your old tank that are on this site and I forgot how sweet that thing was.  Talk about low maintenace...you threw conventional reef keeping out the window, doing like 1 water change every 6 months!  Awesome. 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 16:39:02 »
I didn't silicone the edges of my stand but I did paint them.  When I got my aquarium it wasn't painted or stained on the inside and there was salt all over.  I think the benefit to painting it inside would be the ease of wiping up spills.  My canopy wasn't painted inside and it started to grow mold so if I was you I would paint it and ensure there is good ventilation within the hood.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:46 »
Thanks Matt...you're up next, we need you to get the 55 back into the mix.  I was looking at the pics of your old tank that are on this site and I forgot how sweet that thing was.  Talk about low maintenace...you threw conventional reef keeping out the window, doing like 1 water change every 6 months!  Awesome. 

You people and your water changes...the ocean doesnt do a water change.  You have to find a balance between whats in your tank, what you feed, lighting, and biomass load

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket and listen to some of their advice.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:45:49 by REDPYRO »

Bigmoo

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 08:49:14 »
When I built my stand I applied four coats of stain Polyurethane and have had no trouble after four years of water inside the stand. It is easy to clean (salt creep) and have spilled water many times. Granted, water has never had a chance to just sit and cause damage however I am sure it would stand up to most tests. I guess I should also note I stained the inside of the stand as well and the oil in the stain also helped to seal the grain before the clear coats went on. It will also help to sand in between coats as this will prevent the grain from rising and being more exposed so that moisture can be absorbed through the ends. As for the canopy, I never made it around to making mine. Given the close proximity to the water I might make a few changes to the plan for water protection, I guess it also depends on wether it will be a covered top or not and if ventilation fans are installed. Just my personal on this, not meant to be an absolute.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:09 »

You people and your water changes...the ocean doesnt do a water change.  You have to find a balance between whats in your tank, what you feed, lighting, and biomass load

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket and listen to some of their advice.

Folks, when Mr. Pyro gets warmed up he's unstoppable.  Think of him as the Wolverine of Greenville. 

Stay tuned for more...

bigfalcon36

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:08 »
When I built my stand I applied four coats of stain Polyurethane and have had no trouble after four years of water inside the stand. It is easy to clean (salt creep) and have spilled water many times. Granted, water has never had a chance to just sit and cause damage however I am sure it would stand up to most tests. I guess I should also note I stained the inside of the stand as well and the oil in the stain also helped to seal the grain before the clear coats went on. It will also help to sand in between coats as this will prevent the grain from rising and being more exposed so that moisture can be absorbed through the ends. As for the canopy, I never made it around to making mine. Given the close proximity to the water I might make a few changes to the plan for water protection, I guess it also depends on wether it will be a covered top or not and if ventilation fans are installed. Just my personal on this, not meant to be an absolute.

I will put about 3 coats of poly in the stand, in the canopy I may paint the inside with white Killz so it will be more reflective.

Anyone else wanting to weigh in on this.

Midwest Express

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 09:51:08 »
When I do my permanent stand... the inside will be painted with white killz.  No chance of mildew and will let the light bounce around in there well.  I will do a better job at protecting the wood as well seeing how salt water eats away at poly. 

As for the outside of the tank... I would go with as many coats of poly as possible.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:53 »

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket than listen to some of their advice.

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.
Wet/Dry's rock!