2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: RO questions.  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
RO questions.
« on: October 04, 2009, 14:12:59 »
I have a few questions that I need help with if you all would be so kind. 1st question is how much does your unit put out? Mine is currently producing a small trickle of water is this right? It has taken it 2 hours to make 2.5 gallons. Is that good?. My water temp is around 60 degrees, and my tds is unknown as I have yet to buy a TDS meter. Just got it hooked up last night. Your help is appreciated.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
Re: RO questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 14:45:44 »
i know that water pressure plays a role in how fast or slow a unit will make water. is your unit rejecting a lot of water to make those 2.5 gallons.  i think that they will usually produce 1 gallon of good stuff for every four gallons it rejects and there are some that even go 2 to one rejections rate.  if your unit is rejecting like 20 gallons to make those 2 i think something is wrong. those are probably 2 ultra pure gallons though :)

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 14:47:25 »
I have a few questions that I need help with if you all would be so kind. 1st question is how much does your unit put out? Mine is currently producing a small trickle of water is this right? It has taken it 2 hours to make 2.5 gallons. Is that good?. My water temp is around 60 degrees, and my tds is unknown as I have yet to buy a TDS meter. Just got it hooked up last night. Your help is appreciated.
sounds like you have a 24 gallon ro unit, if so yes it will only trickle and you will only make about a 1 gallon give or take and hour

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 14:48:20 »
I never thought of checking my rejextion rate. Thats a good idea. Thanks. The unit I bought has two DI stages so it should be as close to pure as you can get. The unit is a 100 gpd unit.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 14:51:10 »
I never thought of checking my rejextion rate. Thats a good idea. Thanks. The unit I bought has two DI stages so it should be as close to pure as you can get. The unit is a 100 gpd unit.

So 100/24= 4.16 GPH.

My 50GPD Units makes a tad more than 2GPH, with a TDS of 10-20 depending on the TDS going in. Going in its between 200-280.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 14:55:33 »
What kinda flow do you have coming out?

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 14:58:06 »
if it is a 100gpd unit and is not making that much water then you may not have enough pressure and unfortunately the only way i know of to know is to buy an inline pressure gauge to tell you what it is at. are there any troubleshooting tips in the manual for the unit? if it is brand new it may need to break in a bit to wash the membranes and such. and always always double check the lines to make sure that they are hooked up correctly.  i have a 75gpd unit with higher pressure around 60-65 psi and it cranks out the water. i did the math and set it up with a big tub and went to bed thinking itll be about 3/4s full and woke up to a wet floor

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 14:59:55 »
Wow. Ya I would say something is going on then. The unit is brand new. I will double check it. Thanks.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 15:00:59 »
I think you need a fair amount of pressure to get 100g in a day. I think mine is a 50gpd and I get about 20gpd with it. If you are going to the cincy swap there is someone with a nice tds meter for sale.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 15:02:54 »
60 - 65 psi is really good.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 15:08:51 »
I need to figure out what my pressure is.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 15:12:44 »
i am very fortunate with the pressure. i am even fortunate to have a fiance that helped me make water the other day while at work. i think she destroyed the ro membrane. the faucet was turned on straight up the middle for warmish hot water. i felt the water coming out of the waste line and it felt hot but the faucet wasnt on all hot. should i change out the membrane even though tds still reads 0? im sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread but let it be lesson that hot water shouldnt go through your unit. and maybe to let other people in the house know this as well lol. i love her so much for actually wanting to help that i cant get upset     sheesh

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 15:22:30 »
Hey things happen right. ;D

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 15:45:09 »
Ok upon further inspection I am getting nice pressure past the third stage, but when it hit the ASOV pressure is reduced dramatically. Is this how it should be? So the RO filter is not getting enough pressure. Could it be a faulty ASOV?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 15:47:30 »
Has anyone ever had the ASOV apart?

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 15:51:13 »
could the asov be hooked up backwards?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 15:52:44 »
Ok so my next attemp was to hook the 3rd stage (where I had good pressure) directly to the RO filter. When I did this I was only able to get a fast drip. Any thoughts?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 15:53:45 »
could the asov be hooked up backwards?
Well it is marked in, and out. So I don't think so.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 16:19:48 »
I think the problem is my pressure. If I hook up the asov to the third chamber, and not the RO filter there is no flow restriction there, but as soon as I hook the RO up I am back to a trickle. What should I expect as far as filter life? I can't afford a booster pump right now.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 17:02:36 »
Mine is a very slow flow.

Does the shut off valve work?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 17:03:30 »
Yes I am pretty sure it does.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 17:04:32 »
When I run it with it disconnected from the ro it flows with no problem.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 18:12:30 »
Dave,

Knowing where you are at and your water system I'm pretty confident it is your water pressure.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 19:34:08 »
Dave,

Knowing where you are at and your water system I'm pretty confident it is your water pressure.

That true, your on a well right?

For my system, no difference in volume with our without the valve.

Do you have an auto top off? If not, get rid of the shut off, and install a valve before the unit, and on the outlet side. That way you can cut the water into the unit. My Valve isn't the greatest, and sometimes with changes in the house water pressure it turns the unit on.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 22:28:32 »
I appreciate the suggestions, but I am going to go ahead and save for a booster pump. I am going to use Micki's TDS meter Tuesday to see what kinda water this thing is puttin out, and then just deal with the slow trickle until I can afford a pump.