2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Diamond Hole Saw bit for drilling glass questions  (Read 3665 times)

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
Diamond Hole Saw bit for drilling glass questions
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:59 »
So it seems there are multiple diamond hole saw vendors on the internet, some for $15 and some for $50.  Looks like the local hardware stores carry the $50 variety.  I'm guessing this is a difference in how many holes you can cut before they go dull?  Any ideas?  Anybody have a good source for these?   I know we may have a few local folks who have them, but if they are only good for x # of holes, I don't want to use up anybodys drill bit. 

This is all part of my master plan of moving from a 120 to a 125.  I don't like the 4 foot length of the 120, although the depth is nice, the few fish I have seem to 'turn around' quite a bit.  Also, I'm going to try the edge-to-edge overflow box design (calfo style) and see if that works out better.  Corals are growing good, but I still have minor algae issues.  I am probably upgrading the AquaC skimmer to an MSX during this conversion as well.

My only other concern is that my MH 400W may be a little too powerful for the less-deep 125.  It is only a few inches and I'm planning on moving the light up a bit. 

Any info on the diamond hole saw bits appreciated.

- Ray 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Diamond Hole Saw bit for drilling glass questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:49 »
LarryNews runs 2 400w MH and a 150w MH on his 125. I guess it depends on the Kelvin of bulb you choose if it is to much. I am still debating on using 400w vs 250w on my new 125. Might use 250's with 2 80w T5's.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 15:58:57 »
If you go with a cheap $15 ebay bit you should be good for three holes on your calfo. I would'nt waste money on the $50 bits unless your going to be drilling more hole in the future. I bought mine off ebay, if you go that route make sure the seller is American or else it will take a long while to get to you since most are from Hon Kong.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 18:25:35 »
Found some at www.glass-holes.com pretty cheap.

- Rayk

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 18:44:19 »
Found some at www.glass-holes.com pretty cheap.

- Rayk

those anit bad
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:38:32 »
I got mine off glassholes and everything went fine when I drilled my 65g.  Only thing that I would recommend is to get a normal hole saw and a piece of oak or something and cut the hole in the wood first to help guide while you are "sanding" away the glass. I just keep the bit lubricated and went slow and kept it even to reduce as much stress on the glass as possible.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:04 »
I've bought several from the cheap ebay store. If you are good about keeping them cool you can drill a bunch of holes with them.  Or just let me know what size you need and you can borrow one of mine.

Joe