2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish are losing the battle...  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
Re: Fish are losing the battle...
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 11:39:30 »
Since I have family there, the trip cost isn't really a factor, but I can make it there and back for around 200.00 and not have to deal with the airport, temps etc.....  Three tanks there, Three tanks back :)  obviously not taking the V-10. Last time I went took me just under 11 hrs, 937 miles.  Once out of Ohio its only money for a ticket :)  so 90-95mph is avg.

But even if I do factor in the cost still cheaper than local.  Even your BITB a yellow tang wasn't 12.00 for a 4in let alone a 12in for 59.00.  I'm not gonna make a trip for one fish. 

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 11:47:36 »
Oh i c, i didnt see you mention you ahd family there, i thought that your specific urpose was to make a group buy run to FL.

Ha ha, 90-95 for 11hrs, thats good timing. I dont think i ever drove there in less than 15. Once while driving through TN, there was this cop hidden in the wooded area between the I75 lanes, this guy flew past me, had to of been going over 100, the cop just pulled out in front of me. About wrecked into the officer because where he/she was parked, theres no way they could have seen who was coming till they were right in front of them to radar gun them. Since then, i take it a little slower going through there.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 16:28:14 »
Two years ago we made the trip, ended up being 1111 miles doorstep to doorstep, (kinda weird), in 16:05.  That is a full trip average of 69MPH.  That included stops for fuel, bathroom breaks, and a stop for sandwiches.

The place is about 240 miles north of where we are staying, can't stop on the way down for obvious reasons, and on the way back it will be New Years Day.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 18:25:00 »
Two years ago we made the trip, ended up being 1111 miles doorstep to doorstep, (kinda weird), in 16:05.  That is a full trip average of 69MPH.  That included stops for fuel, bathroom breaks, and a stop for sandwiches.

The place is about 240 miles north of where we are staying, can't stop on the way down for obvious reasons, and on the way back it will be New Years Day.

We just made Indian Rocks Beach with an average of 72.1 mph, so now I don't feel like I'm the only speed demon.

Lonnie, you drivin the Mav? :)
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 18:36:48 »
We just made Indian Rocks Beach with an average of 72.1 mph, so now I don't feel like I'm the only speed demon.

Lonnie, you drivin the Mav? :)

Might want to add a 0 behind the $200 for gas round trip if you dive the mav lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 18:44:20 »
ya at lest a grand
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 19:51:39 »
Might want to add a 0 behind the $200 for gas round trip if you dive the mav lol

It would take $360or so for a round trip in the Mav with gas at 2.96 (current price here now) 

The Mav will get 20 mpg @ 85 mph all day long.  I can go 300 miles on a 15 gallon tank.  The T-5 lets the engine run at 1600 rpms @ 85 mph.  :)  The blower helps the efficency of the engine at highway speeds as well, now in town its a race between the tach going up and the fuel guage going down.....

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 20:03:20 »
well u suck
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline NewAlbanyReefer

• Fry
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 09:00:13 »
This is from a very simular personal experience.

In a period of a month I lost the following

tomeni tang
blue hippa
2 clowns
2 antheses
lemonpeel angel
coral beauty

There was no distinct reason for it.  Just got up and one day they started dying off.  It was difficult to quaranteen because I did not know what they were dying from.  ONly fish survived was a yellow tang.  I waited aprox 8 weeks.  Only left the yellow in the tank.  After the 8 weeks I added cheap fish, a lemon damsel and a fiji devil damsel.  I waited another 4-6 weeks to make sure they werent going to die.  I then added a couple of clowns and a naso tang.  No issues.  So now I have a purple tang and fire fish and by the graces of someone I have not lost a fish in 6 months.