2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish are losing the battle...  (Read 4271 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Fish are losing the battle...
« on: December 18, 2011, 19:47:17 »
So... I installed a super male linneatus wrasse, a kole tang, a blue-green chromis, and a shoal of lyretail anthais (1 male, 2 female) into the tank about 8 weeks ago.  In the last week:

The linneatus wrasse had a few problems, but could not overcome the aggressiveness of my tomeni tang, and ate one of my MP40's at high speed.  After that, died after about a week.  I'm done with linneatus wrasses, I've dropped $400 in 9 months on two of them, and they both suffered physical injury and died.

Kole tang - looked great when I bought him, starved to death and was found on the bottom of the tank with both eyes missing.

Anthias - male suddenly dead.  No appearent cause, just here today, gone tomorrow.  Females OK.

Chromis - all of my original school of three now gone in 3 days.  Same thing - without a trace.

Have changed 70% of my 90g of water over the last week to get rid of antibiotic that I was treating the kole tang with. 15% last weekend, 60% today - all fish were gone prior to this morning.

I know how to make napalm and C4 from household ingredients. Almost ready to drop 8 oz of C4 into the tank...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

Re: Fish are losing the battle...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 21:19:23 »
still no luck sorry to hear
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 21:48:35 »
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 22:12:21 »
Any chance of a rogue mantis shrimp or gorilla crab? Got a green brittle star in the tank?

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 22:40:03 »
I have a semi-aggressive pink banded serpent star.  I had a brittle star over a year ago, but he got taken to an LFS and fed to a puffer for eating a chromis.  There's very little rock in the tank, and all of the rock has been soaked in a muriatic acid bath months ago to get rid of any hitchhikers.  I hear popping in the tank, but it's my tiger pistol shrimp and accompanying goby screwing around.  No gorilla that I know of; have one large pink emerald crab that has never even waved a claw at a fish.

However, I've that Rainbow BT anemone and a RBT anemone, and a very healthy rhizotrychus coral, all of which can eat a fish.  Come to think of it, the rhizo looks very self-satisfied this evening.  When he's up to something, he pulls in all of his tentacles (they are 4-6" in length depending on his mood) but one, and turns the tip of it 90 degrees, looks like a periscope.  He's doing that right now.  The chromis' were like 1" and the rhizo can swallow a 3" silverside whole in less than a minute, and is the deadliest stinger in the tank, so maybe... 
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 22:44:02 »
I'm sorry Kev, I've had a run of bad fish luck lately too. It just sucks!

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 15:39:23 »
I've had similar problems in the past but I had a green brittle star. Once I got rid of it my fish quit disappearing. If you can sit up at night and watch the tank of set up a camera to record what's going on you might be able to catch the culprit. Good luck and I hope you find out what's going on. It does suck though.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 18:51:38 »
Sorry to hear.  Sounds frustrating beyond the point of reason.  Hope you get it figured out, however thinking of you putting C4 in your tank is toooooo funny.  Napalm would be interesting as if it was the 'new' stuff with willie pete in it, it would burn baby burn...  If it was the old stuff, no burnie...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 19:30:05 »
Lost another chromis today.  No trace.

JP-4 and styrofoam burns under water... 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 19:37:06 »
Kev, that is nuts!!!

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 19:58:28 »
did you quarantine these fish prior?  Haven't seen anyting about that.  Could it be that one of them had a diease and its just lingering in the water killing off the other fish?  I may, (MAY) be making a bonsi run to Florida mid Feb for new fish if you need some.  yes its cheaper to drive down and buy them there then anyplace local or to even have them shipped. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 20:52:13 »
Is it really cheaper to go to Florida and get them???

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 20:54:34 »
Hi, Lonnie.  The fish that I've had forever - tomeni tang, melanarus wrasse, clowns, gobies, shrimp, crabs, seem to be doing great.  I didn't quarantine; bad on me.  I admit it.  Don't have a quarantine tank yet.  I got a large blue-green chromis with the other fish, and it was bigger than my blue chromises.  Once she went in the tank, the others just hid, and were getting thin.  Maybe just starved.  The two newer female anthias look ok, healthy, strong, and fast.  I don't know.  Some corals went downhill during this period, and everything has stopped growing.  Water params look good.

I might take you up on that Florida offer.  Thanks.

Kev

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 21:27:26 »
Is it really cheaper to go to Florida and get them???

Its cheaper to drive to Florida and get them, for instance a yellow tang we pay what 49-79 in the stores for about 3-4 inches, is 12.00.  I can buy a 1' dia Yellow tang for 49.00 at Bioreef.  The Blond Naso's were under 70 and huge as well.  Not to mention the corals, they have a comma tank.  Its a tank that if you buy something out of it your bill is going to have a comma in it.  :)  Super rare stuff.   But since I know one of the guys there all I have to do is call ahead and tell him I'm comming and he'll order what I want and since they don't deal with any middleman on fish the prices are going to be a lot cheaper. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 22:46:57 »
Its cheaper to drive to Florida and get them, for instance a yellow tang we pay what 49-79 in the stores for about 3-4 inches, is 12.00.  I can buy a 1' dia Yellow tang for 49.00 at Bioreef.  The Blond Naso's were under 70 and huge as well.  Not to mention the corals, they have a comma tank.  Its a tank that if you buy something out of it your bill is going to have a comma in it.  :)  Super rare stuff.   But since I know one of the guys there all I have to do is call ahead and tell him I'm comming and he'll order what I want and since they don't deal with any middleman on fish the prices are going to be a lot cheaper. 
mite have u get me some thing when ure there
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 23:13:25 »
Hmmmmmmmm, group buy? LOL

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 23:14:19 »
mite have u get me some thing when ure there

I figured you and Mike wanted to make a roadtrip......... :-Poke

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 04:53:03 »
I figured you and Mike wanted to make a roadtrip......... :-Poke

I may be up for the trip .

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:07 »
Where is this place?  I'm headed to Florida in 5 days.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:08:46 »
road trip hummmmmm
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:55 »
Where is this place?  I'm headed to Florida in 5 days.

Located in Eastpark Industrial Park, off of Beach Blvd., across from FCCJ's South Campus.

3653 Regent Boulevard, Suite 101
Jacksonville, FL 32224
904-674-0031

Monday-Friday 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 10:17:05 »
Well that sucks! I used to be stationed at Ft. Stewart, GA and we went to Jacksonville all the time and I never knew the place was there. I wasn't into reefing then though. Still would have been cool to check it out. If you don't mind, I would give you money for a few things if you end up making that trip.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:12:58 »
Jacksonville is a bit out of the way...  However I will be trying to visit CaribSea in Ft. Pierce as it is only 10 miles north of where I will be.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:40 »
I take it you arent factoring in the cost of making the trip into the cost of the fish? Depending on the size of the box to be shipped, it would cost you not much more than $100 for one day air. It costs well over that for a round trip driving. But I'm sure that going there is well worth the trip.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:30:38 »
I take it you arent factoring in the cost of making the trip into the cost of the fish? Depending on the size of the box to be shipped, it would cost you not much more than $100 for one day air. It costs well over that for a round trip driving. But I'm sure that going there is well worth the trip.

Well if it cost $300 in fuel there and back and 10 people want fish and they all split the cot of fuel you tack on and extra $30 to the cost of your fish. Shouldn't be that big of a deal to get than many people to go in on it. I know I will for sure be getting in on this trip. If you only want a few fish probably not that good of a deal but some of us will be going for a quite few.