2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I'm back...my new tank build  (Read 16990 times)

bigfalcon36

I'm back...my new tank build
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:41 »
It's almost time...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: I'm back...my new tank build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:14:53 »
That is not cool!!!! 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:33:27 »
I'm trying to play it out like they do on RC...35 pages with nothing and then on the 36th page they have a picture of the finished product!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:12 »
That is not cool!!!! 

I agree!  :(

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:06 »
How big are you going? What tank brand are you buying? What do you plan to keep? When are you going to start?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

bigfalcon36

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:10:36 »
How big are you going? What tank brand are you buying? What do you plan to keep? When are you going to start?

I'm going to do the multi-paragraph explanation this afternoon...I'll have pictures to go along with everything, but first I have to run some errands with the wife.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 18:59:46 »
Still waiting? ;D
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 19:25:06 »
Ok, enough work for one day.  As the thread says, I am finally starting to put together a new tank.  i have been away from the Ohio area and away from the hobby for about 2.5 years, but I have never lost interest.  When I lived in PA, I picked up my new take at That Pet Place...which was a LFS for me.  I picked it up at their 'Spring Fling' and have been waiting to set it up for almost two years!

Here it is...my 120 gallon Oceanic Tech Tank.  I got lucky with this one too, all three panes are low iron Starfire:

I plan to go bare bottom on this one...with starboard on the bottom.  I also am planning on using minimal live rock so the fish have more room to play.  For the coral, i plan on keeping SPS, some Zoa's, and some Ricordea's (I have never had Ric's before).

Also, while I was in PA, I built the stand and canopy out of oak.  I dont care what anyone says...this was the most fun piece that I have ever built.  Here are a few shots:

The sump is going to a 75 gallon glass tank.  I found a local guy here in Kansas City that is making me one and for the price I couldn't pass it up.  I have built sumps in the past and for the time, planning, cost...it's just easier to have some one else do it.  It's going to be a low flow sump that will have an refugium in it with sand and live rock.

I have most of the equipment purchased already.  For the main tank circulation I am going to be using two Tunze 6100's on a 7095 Multicontroller.  For the skimmer, I am going to use my trusty old ASM G3 (that has the mesh mod done to it) for now...i plan on upgrading this ASAP to either a Reeflo 200 or something similar (there are really too many skimmers to choose from).  I still need to choose a return pump.

Lighting...Right now I have two Reef Optix Pendants that have 250 watt Hamilton 14k's in them.  The bulbs will be powered by the boys from Icecap.  I also plan to run either 4 or 6 T5's with a IceCap 660 pushing them...I have the SLRs for the bulbs too.  I just dont know if I should do the 6 bulbs or not?

Here's some pics of those goodies:

Other equipment that I will have is a GEO 612 Calcium reactor (pick it up tomorrow and will post pics) with a pinpoint controller.  And finally Two - Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactors, one for phosban and one with carbon.

I hope to have the water in it by the end of February.  Currently I am waiting on some plumbing parts from our buddy Joel.  I also have to pick up some odds and ends like new filters for my Typhoon RO/DI unit, salt...stuff like that.

Hope you guys like it... I am excited as HELL to get this thing running again!

Talk to you all soon,
Travis

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 19:49:08 »
That is a beautiful stand, Travis!!!

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 20:19:31 »
Stand and Hood look awesome. Looks like you have it all organized.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 22:03:09 »
Stand and Hood look awesome. Looks like you have it all organized.
That is a beautiful stand, Travis!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I still need help with deciding on a light combination...should I add more T5, a skimmer (preferably one that can be plumbed externally), and a return pump.

Let the discussion begin.

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 22:14:41 »
Love my return pump  ReeFlo Snapper  2500gph at 93 watts.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 22:46:46 »
I second the snapper I love both of mine. I would also suggest you look at the beast of a skimmer that Joe has for sale on this site. It is a beast, it is the whole reason I bought my new skimmer so it would be bigger! lol I had skimmer envy.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 22:51:25 »
I talked to Joe a couple of times via PM...shipping would be a pain with it, plus if something happened to it during the shipping we both be boned.  I still have some time...so I have to weigh my options and then put a cap on the price and stick to it....i hope

bigfalcon36

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 22:57:09 »
I second the snapper I love both of mine. I would also suggest you look at the beast of a skimmer that Joe has for sale on this site. It is a beast, it is the whole reason I bought my new skimmer so it would be bigger! lol I had skimmer envy.

Where'd you guys pick your pumps up at?  What size are the input and output?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 02:36:28 »
Hey Welcome back, looks like you are doing things up really nice. The stand and canopy are beautiful done. Like the euro bracing oceanic tank, don't see those to often. Keep us posted with your progress.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:26:43 »
Very Cool Travis!  :D

slandis3

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:21 »
i got mine from joel.  it has a 2" intake and a 1.5" return

bigfalcon36

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:01 »
i got mine from joel.  it has a 2" intake and a 1.5" return

Awesome, I'll take a close look at these...there is a lady that is local to me that sells Reeflo products.

On, another note...I think I make have found a skimmer.  Does anyone know anything or have experiences with a Deltec.  I have read good things, but I would to hear something from the group if that's possible.  I'm thinking of getting a Deltec AP 702.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:42 »
They are good skimmers just not sure they are worth the price. Are you getting it used and getting a good deal. For the price of new I think there are better skimmers on the market for the price and even less money. The reeflo orca skimmers are awesome and use less watts. Just my .02 cents.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:06:57 »
I'm working with a local guy...I think that I can nab this thing for $1000 less than retail.  He's had it sitting and wants to move it...I'm just trying to take advantage of the oppurtunity.  No way I would pay retail.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 11:21:57 »
Very nice setup Travis. Although I knew about this tank build for a long time. Your Oceanic Tech Series tank is sweet and you can never go wrong with a GEO reactor and a solid oak stand and canopy. 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 13:22:09 »
Very nice setup Travis. Although I knew about this tank build for a long time. Your Oceanic Tech Series tank is sweet and you can never go wrong with a GEO reactor and a solid oak stand and canopy. 

Yeah, I want to thank Tim for keeping the cat in the bag for a while on this one.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 16:38:26 »
I went today and picked up a couple of new toys.  Here they are GEO612 and a Reef Fanatic Regulator and Solenoid: 

The GEOs are really nice!  This is the first one I have seen up close.

Enjoy!
Travis

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 16:43:42 »
just being curious what type of price range are those? 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 16:51:33 »
just being curious what type of price range are those? 

New the 612 is $325, but that is just for the reactor.  You still need to get the regulator/solenoid, CO2 bottle, and a pH controller.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 18:39:36 »
Welcome back!! 

*jealous**jealous**jealous**jealous*

bigfalcon36

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 18:51:57 »
Welcome back!! 

*jealous**jealous**jealous**jealous*

What's there to be jealous about?  You actually have an aquarium that has water in it.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 14:16:15 »
Travis!  Sounds like your new tank should be sweet. You were the first person I met when I first started reefkeeping and helped me get started with some coral!  It was much appreciated!!!  If you need any zoos I have a nice variety and could send some.  Are you coming back to the area or are you staying in Pennsylvania?  let me know about anything you might be looking for. If I can help ya out I'd like to! You did the same for me!

micah
Inspired!!!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 19:20:03 »
Travis!   Are you coming back to the area or are you staying in Pennsylvania?  let me know about anything you might be looking for. If I can help ya out I'd like to! You did the same for me!

micah

FYI-Travis lives in Kansas City now.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 19:35:10 by aquavista99 »

bigfalcon36

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 19:47:04 »
FYI-Travis lives in Kansas City now.

Micah, as Tim mentioned...the wife and I moved to KC about 6 months ago.  I will be back in the area to for the holidays and I have a few of my buddies weddings to go to.  I hope that I can make it out to a meeting if I can get lucky enough to have one fall when I am in the area.

As for things that I'm looking for...if you could find a legal way to get me 5 large buffle bags of $100 bills that would be great!  I'm sure Gary could help with some of the transportation and the loop holes to fool the Fed's.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 15:48:33 »
I'm sure Gary could help with some of the transportation and the loop holes to fool the Fed's.

Hey hey!! Don't be dragging me into your endeavors.....unless, of course, you make it worthwhile to me!!!  LOL!!

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

bigfalcon36

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:03 »

Hey hey!! Don't be dragging me into your endeavors.....unless, of course, you make it worthwhile to me!!!  LOL!!

:police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

I'll make it like Miami, FL in the 80's...corruption is a part of life

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 19:21:08 »
Did you buy the Deltec skimmer yet? It looks very nice!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 19:39:40 »
Did you buy the Deltec skimmer yet? It looks very nice!

Yeah, i went ahead and got the Deltec.  It's officially the Delted AP702...it was expensive as hell, but hopefully worth it.   It should be getting here after Valentines Day.  Here's a picture of this beast in action.  Not quite as big as Tim's Euro-Monster though...but I am happy with it.  I guess we will all see if it's worth the cash spent.  If it's not, you'll see it for sale on RC!

I'll also be posting pics this weekend, as I intend on getting the starboard for inside the display tank, starting the plumbing for the display, and getting my sump all rigged out.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 13:03:37 »
Looks like Deltec upgraded to Eheim 1262 pumps on your skimmer...very nice! I think Deltec previously used  Eheim 1260 pumps on the same model. My Euroreef uses the same Eheim 1262 pumps as well. Can't wait to see your new skimmer in action!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 15:57:41 »
Looks like Deltec upgraded to Eheim 1262 pumps on your skimmer...very nice! I think Deltec previously used  Eheim 1260 pumps on the same model. My Euroreef uses the same Eheim 1262 pumps as well. Can't wait to see your new skimmer in action!

I'm with you on the can't wait piece of it.  The 1262s are nice addition to an already sweet device.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 16:13:55 »
I talked to my sister today, she lives in Troy...she was talking about how miserable the weather has been back that direction.  Sorry to hear that.  Today in sunny KC, there was a high of 71 :)  So I had to take advantage of the nice weather and get out the power tools.  I decide today would be a good day to work on the return piping, sump and cut the star-board for the display...here are the results, I hope you like them.

Here are a few picture of the display with the star-board inserted:

Here are the pics of my return piping.  I used 3/4" piping on the return and it will have a total of 6 outputs...3 on each side of the overflow.  I used the Euro-bracing to support the PVC.  I also threaded in the Loc-Line fittings.  Turned out nicely!

Here are a few pictures of the new sump.  I decided to go with a 40 gallon breeder instead of the AGA 75 that I would have had to get baffles made for.  This sump came professionally constructed from a local guy here in KC.  It is drilled for a 1.5" bulkhead.  This thing is heavy duty and it drillable on all sides, even the bottom which gives me a lot of option for down the road.  It will also fit under my stand...my 75 would not have been able to.

Laying on it's side:

Top down look:

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 23:21:08 »
Nicely done!

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 23:35:56 »
I love the look of the Oceanic tanks.  Looks like you are on the way to one nice system.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:25 »
Nicely done!
I love the look of the Oceanic tanks.  Looks like you are on the way to one nice system.

Thanks for the compliments.  I'm just trying to take my time and do this as nice as the budget will allow.  I have been grabbing equipment over the last two years with the hope of setting this tank up.

I'll get the canopy put on tonight and take a full shot.

One question for those of you following...Right now the inside of my stand and canopy are just left with the wood grain.  Should I paint the inside with Killz and then silicone the edges?  What benefits (if any) are there to this type of design?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 13:11:42 »
I am not reading this whole thread...but i looked at the pics...nice

Welcome back Travis....

bigfalcon36

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 13:52:51 »
I am not reading this whole thread...but i looked at the pics...nice

Welcome back Travis....

Thanks Matt...you're up next, we need you to get the 55 back into the mix.  I was looking at the pics of your old tank that are on this site and I forgot how sweet that thing was.  Talk about low maintenace...you threw conventional reef keeping out the window, doing like 1 water change every 6 months!  Awesome. 

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 16:39:02 »
I didn't silicone the edges of my stand but I did paint them.  When I got my aquarium it wasn't painted or stained on the inside and there was salt all over.  I think the benefit to painting it inside would be the ease of wiping up spills.  My canopy wasn't painted inside and it started to grow mold so if I was you I would paint it and ensure there is good ventilation within the hood.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:46 »
Thanks Matt...you're up next, we need you to get the 55 back into the mix.  I was looking at the pics of your old tank that are on this site and I forgot how sweet that thing was.  Talk about low maintenace...you threw conventional reef keeping out the window, doing like 1 water change every 6 months!  Awesome. 

You people and your water changes...the ocean doesnt do a water change.  You have to find a balance between whats in your tank, what you feed, lighting, and biomass load

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket and listen to some of their advice.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:45:49 by REDPYRO »

Bigmoo

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 08:49:14 »
When I built my stand I applied four coats of stain Polyurethane and have had no trouble after four years of water inside the stand. It is easy to clean (salt creep) and have spilled water many times. Granted, water has never had a chance to just sit and cause damage however I am sure it would stand up to most tests. I guess I should also note I stained the inside of the stand as well and the oil in the stain also helped to seal the grain before the clear coats went on. It will also help to sand in between coats as this will prevent the grain from rising and being more exposed so that moisture can be absorbed through the ends. As for the canopy, I never made it around to making mine. Given the close proximity to the water I might make a few changes to the plan for water protection, I guess it also depends on wether it will be a covered top or not and if ventilation fans are installed. Just my personal on this, not meant to be an absolute.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 08:50:09 »

You people and your water changes...the ocean doesnt do a water change.  You have to find a balance between whats in your tank, what you feed, lighting, and biomass load

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket and listen to some of their advice.

Folks, when Mr. Pyro gets warmed up he's unstoppable.  Think of him as the Wolverine of Greenville. 

Stay tuned for more...

bigfalcon36

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:08 »
When I built my stand I applied four coats of stain Polyurethane and have had no trouble after four years of water inside the stand. It is easy to clean (salt creep) and have spilled water many times. Granted, water has never had a chance to just sit and cause damage however I am sure it would stand up to most tests. I guess I should also note I stained the inside of the stand as well and the oil in the stain also helped to seal the grain before the clear coats went on. It will also help to sand in between coats as this will prevent the grain from rising and being more exposed so that moisture can be absorbed through the ends. As for the canopy, I never made it around to making mine. Given the close proximity to the water I might make a few changes to the plan for water protection, I guess it also depends on wether it will be a covered top or not and if ventilation fans are installed. Just my personal on this, not meant to be an absolute.

I will put about 3 coats of poly in the stand, in the canopy I may paint the inside with white Killz so it will be more reflective.

Anyone else wanting to weigh in on this.

Midwest Express

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 09:51:08 »
When I do my permanent stand... the inside will be painted with white killz.  No chance of mildew and will let the light bounce around in there well.  I will do a better job at protecting the wood as well seeing how salt water eats away at poly. 

As for the outside of the tank... I would go with as many coats of poly as possible.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 10:46:53 »

Of course I also ran a wet/dry which to most is a giant no no....whatever...noobs...I think some people read RC and think they are gods....they are just noobs with a big user base.  We know some of the mods on their, and i would rather stick a fork in the wall socket than listen to some of their advice.

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.
Wet/Dry's rock!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 21:43:10 »
I will put about 3 coats of poly in the stand, in the canopy I may paint the inside with white Killz so it will be more reflective.

Anyone else wanting to weigh in on this.

The killz offers the best protection but instead of painting the inside of my canopy white, I used Behr's transparent weatherproofing wood finish which offers a 6 yr protection against fading and is UV and mildew resistant.

I am really enjoying your 120 gallon thread, Travis! If I was setting up a 120 gallon tank, I wouldn't change a thing. A three-sided Starphire glass tank, a large Deltec skimmer and a solid oak stand and canopy....you must be my twin! I am just waiting for the new vortech pumps to arrive but I suspect your may be a tunze guy.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 23:33:36 »
Tunze guy indeed, I like to hide wires in the canopy and not have them outside display.  I would love to try a Vortech and see how I like them though.  I am enjoying this thread, as I have never had a build thread before.  Even though it's going slow, I really like when others weigh in on topics and throw their answers at into the mix.

Speaking of hiding wires, I began running the electric for the display, lighting, and filtration.  I talked a contractor from work into coming over and helping out for a 12 pack of the Free State's finest micro brew!  We ended up running the main wires from breaker box and the water line for auto top off.  This weekend I plan to install the outlets, patch the drywall, and possibly start to lay the tile for under the stand and around the door of my walk out basement.

Pictures coming soon...probably some tomorrow night and some on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 23:35:59 by bigfalcon36 »

bigfalcon36

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 19:17:00 »
As mentioned above I got my outlets wired up today and went up to the store to pick up some tile that I will be laying in the next few weeks.  I ran 4 different sets of outlets, each on it's own breaker...it's a bit overkill but I figured what the heck because the material was pretty cheap.

Here is a picture of the wires after I got it fished through the ceiling in our basement.

Here's the finished product.  I still have to apply some more mud over the dry wall patch one this coat dries.

Here's a picture of the tile we picked out.  I'm going to tile the basement entry way and the bathroom in the basement with the same tile...hopefully it will turn out nice.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2009, 06:31:45 »
Folks, when Mr. Pyro gets warmed up he's unstoppable.  Think of him as the Wolverine of Greenville. 

Stay tuned for more...

Oh no.......dont get him fired up!!!  LOL!!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:31 »
Looks good Travis!  I love tile!  We added it to our Kitchen and downstairs bathroom last year.  We already have it for our two upstairs bathrooms.  Now just finding the time to lay it...   :)

bigfalcon36

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2009, 09:37:04 »
Briana actually picked it out, I didnt like it at first..but now it's starting to look good in the house.

Our basement bath is the last bathroom that we wanted to be tiled, our over 2 bathrooms have it.  You're right about the time to lay it...if  I feel crunched for time then I'll ask some of the Hispanic guys at work to come over and take care of it, most of them have crazy skills when it comes to skilled labor like that.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 18:58:05 »
Picked up a new toy today.  It's for dosing and Auto Top Off...I got the Spectrapure Litermeter 3!  It's a pretty sweet little device and the thing I like about it is tha tI can add multiple pumps to it and I DO NOT have to rely on a float valve anymore!  Also, my top off water is going to be about 30' away from the actual display, so this should do the job.

Here's a pic of the unit:

Also, the tile is getting layed down tomorrow and grouted on Thursday!  So I am actually starting to see some progress being made!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 22:02:18 »
One of the finest piece's of reef equipment on the market. That is sexy

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 17:45:13 »
One of the finest piece's of reef equipment on the market. That is sexy

Oh no, have you ever met Travis???  He is going to be so big headed now!   :o

bigfalcon36

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2009, 20:40:43 »
Oh no, have you ever met Travis???  He is going to be so big headed now!   :o

BLAH BLAH BLAH Micki!  When he said "that is sexy", I had to double check what picture I posted...I had to make sure it was of the Litermeter and not of myself.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2009, 13:55:37 »
BLAH BLAH BLAH Micki!  When he said "that is sexy", I had to double check what picture I posted...I had to make sure it was of the Litermeter and not of myself.

:D   :D   :D   ::)   I've met you remember...   ;)

bigfalcon36

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2009, 19:25:45 »
keep it up Micki and I am going to have your buddy Eric come visit you up at the ranch

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2009, 06:35:25 »
keep it up Micki and I am going to have your buddy Eric come visit you up at the ranch

HEY NOW.....   :nono

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:06 »

Now now!! Lets play nice! No terroristic threats allowed here!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 13:22:12 »
Now now!! Lets play nice! No terroristic threats allowed here!!

LOL...   

bigfalcon36

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 21:46:09 »
Sorry for the long period of no updates (for those of you following the thread), but the wife and I have been doing a lot of home improvements to get ready for the tank.  I finally got the entire lower level of the house painted after I ran the electric and water top off line.  I also finished the tile work in our bath room and by the our walk out entrance and our garage entrance.  I'll get the pics up after we get some different carpet installed...everything looks out of place because the carpet is old.

Any how, on with the tank stuff...my new skimmer finally arrived today!  It's a Deltec AP702...this thing isn't very tall, but it's big around!  Here is a pic of it with a Bud Light bottle to compare it to.  It has a 1" input and a 1.5" output.  I also got an extra set of O-rings with it, just in case something would go wrong.

Here's the pic:

i'll post more pics after the carpet is installed, probably next week.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 22:03:15 »
Skimmer looks like a winner.

I have a customer with that skimmer (or at least very similar). It is awesome!!!! Good Choice.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2009, 21:56:49 »
It's been a while since I have given a good update, but in my opinion it has been worth the wait.  I finally layed the tile, but afterwards my wife and I decided that we may as well renovate the entire lower level.  So I ripped off all the molding around all the doors and the windows and last Wednesday we placed the order to have all new carpet installed.  The carpet will be put in place this coming Thursday!

Here are some pictures of the progress.  These are pictures after the tile has been laid and grouted:

Below the stairs...this is also where the entrance to the garage is:

By the lower level door.  The aquarium will be to the left of the door.  This also shows the molding removed:

The bathroom floor:

I also picked up some casing for around the doors and windows.  I have been working on prepping this most of the day.

Here is a shot with the freshly painted walls, the new casing, and you can see the old molding has been removed from around the windows.

More to come once the carpet is installed...until then...

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2009, 11:30:14 »
Looks very nice!!!! Can't wait to see the dirty skimmate pictures  ;)

Any how, on with the tank stuff...my new skimmer finally arrived today!  It's a Deltec AP702...this thing isn't very tall, but it's big around! 

Here's the pic:

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2009, 11:38:46 »
The updates on your house look  really nice as well. keeping the spouse happy is half the battle in this hobby...just kidding, maybe!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:46 »
Keeping the spouse happy is half the battle in this hobby...just kidding, maybe!

You may be on to something there...we should get Ohio Reef T-Shirts made with this saying on the back, these would sell out too fast.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 22:07:23 »
We got our carpet installed in the lower level and I was able to finish all the trim work this weekend.  In my opinion, it looks great...more importantly the wife likes it too.

Here are a few pics of the room after the carpet was installed:

Here is the final shot, after all the trim work was completed.  I also had a buddy of mine help me with moving the stand into place.  The placement ended up working out nicely:

Before I went golfing today, I was able to clean up my new frag tank as well.  I picked it up on the used forum here in KC.  It's a 40 gallon breeder that came drilled, plumbed, and with the overflow installed.  It also came with a DIY Lumenarc style reflector, T5 ballast, T5 reflectors, and endcaps...I nearly broke the bank on it too, the guy wanted $20 for it all!  The tank cleaned up nicely.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2009, 22:10:15 »
I hope the wind was better out there.  We were getting 35mph gusts and about 20 sustained.  Still a nice day of the course. :)
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2009, 22:27:19 »
I see a major problem with your 40g breeder QT tank. It looks to much like a reef ready aquarium which may tempt you into running another system down the road.  ;D Your new QT tank  is very, very nice, Travis! He basically gave it to you. I picked up a brand new 30 gallon breeder for $20 when Gem City Aquatics (formerly Aquatics, Pets and Ponds) went out of business. I am not tempted to run another system since it is not pre-drilled, etc. I just fill it up with cycled water from my display tank whenever I add new corals and treat the QT tank with interceptor (for red bugs) and monitor for AEFWs and/or Monti eating nudis, depending on the type of frag, etc.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2009, 22:34:17 »
The pics of the tank are crappy.  It really does look nice in person.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2009, 00:22:46 »
The pics of the tank are crappy.  It really does look nice in person.

It looks nice photographed as well!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2009, 08:39:01 »
I hope the wind was better out there.  We were getting 35mph gusts and about 20 sustained.  Still a nice day of the course. :)

It was nice out here as well yesterday.  It got up to about 65, but the wind did have its moments where it picked up.

bigfalcon36

Update
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2009, 21:46:45 »
I went out to LC's Reef Stop, which is in Topeka, KS, today to pick up some stuff and to order a controller for my new tank.  I ended up getting a lot of odd's and ends that I wanted/needed to bring the equipment side of the build to a close.  A big thanks goes out to Cathy (LC's Owner) for all the help she gave me, she is a good person to deal with.

So Cathy will be ordering me a new Aquacontroller 3.  I got a few add ons for it as well.  I ordered 2 lab grade probes, 2 DC-8s, and the Aquasurf Module to controll my two Tunze 6100s.

Here is some of the other stuff I got.  I picked up two 4" IceCap Smart Fans and another set of IceCap SLRs - I now am going to be using 6 T5s on my display.  I also got all my Bulbs, 6 T5 bulbs (5 ATIs and 1 UV actinic)...Cathy is ordering the halide bulbs which are Hamilton 14k.  Here are some pics:

I also picked up a Pan-World return pump and a T-Pack for my AWI Typhoon III:

I am going to be picking up some salt and start the plumbing tomorrow!  I'll keep everyone up to date.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2009, 22:31:50 »
Awesome!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2009, 08:04:09 »
Cool Love that pan world pump!  :) 

bigfalcon36

Update
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2009, 22:10:00 »
First of all, I want to give a big happy birthday to my five year old Jack Russell Terrier...Happy Birthday Russ!

Ok, on with update...there has been a lot going on the last couple of weeks.  I have got a lot of small things accomplished, which is really cool because it has allowed my system to become completely automated.  I also got most of the aquascaping done.

Basically, all I have to do still is build a cabinet to house the Deltec, Geo CA Reactor, and AC3 and then install the lights and I'm good to go.

Here are some pictures from the progress.

This is the first full tank shot with canopy, stand, and aquascaping.  I tried to create two pilars on the right and left side and then build the middle up to allow places for fish to hide and display corals.  On with the pictures:

A couple of angled shots...yeah, I know I have to pull a bunch of crap out of my Tunze Streams:

A close up on the rock work:

Spectrapure Litermeter3 installed and running my auto top off:

Calcium Reactor up and running next to the Deltec:

This is a manifold that I built that comes off of the return pump.  It is controlled by a PVC ball valve and for fine tuning I used John Guest fittings along JG mini-ball valves.  This is being used to feed my CA Reactor and two Phosban Reactors.

Then here is a money shot from the Deltec...I have been running this thing to produce a 'dry' skimmate.  Still trying to dial it in to get it exactly to where I like it.

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2009, 22:37:27 »
Very, very nice, Travis. Starboard bottom, high flow reef with amazing rock work . I really like the look of the Oceanic Tech Series rear center overflow box as well. It does not take up as much room as the corner overflow boxes.  Will you build a stand to store all your equipment in (skimmer, calcium reactor, etc)?   

bigfalcon36

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2009, 22:46:46 »
Very, very nice, Travis. Starboard bottom, high flow reef with amazing rock work . I really like the look of the Oceanic Tech Series rear center overflow box as well. It does not take up as much room as the corner overflow boxes.  Will you build a stand to store all your equipment in (skimmer, calcium reactor, etc)?  

Yeah, I am going to be building the cabinet this weekend to hide all that stuff.  I am going to make a cut out to display the AC3 read out as well.  It's going to be built the same as the canopy and stand.

By the way, having a reef controller is not a necessity...but it is really really nice to have.  It has truly automated my aquarium...the only manual thing that I have to do is water changes for now.  It has also sut down on the number of devices that I would have required to run this tank.  Definetly worth it...in my opinion.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2009, 12:12:17 »
Looks good Travis!  I didn't realize you were a Bare Bottom Fan!  :D

bigfalcon36

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2009, 18:44:13 »
Micki, Micki, Micki..we've talked about this before...all those conversations about you driving topless...does that ring a bell?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2009, 18:56:03 »
Sure does!  ;)

I just don't remember any bare bottom conversations!  :D

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:47 »
Ah yes, it is getting to be that time of year!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2009, 06:40:46 »
Yep, I've already been topless a few times, but looking forward to many more days!  :)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2009, 07:10:28 »
So Travis...any updates?  Pictures???  HELLOOOOOOOO!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2009, 08:57:25 »
Yeah I have a few, but the picture thing that you mentioned is holding me back.  I'll get some posted by Friday!

bigfalcon36

Final Update...
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2009, 22:07:44 »
Well my build is complete!  I finally got everything tucked away and in their resting places.

Here is a picture of the finished product...as you can see, I built an enlosure to house my skimmer, CO2 cylinder, and Geo Calcium reactor.

Here is a shot of inside the enclosure next to the display:

The AC3 is online and happy:

Here's the first full tank shot and one shot down the side.  Empty for now...bring on the fish, SPS, and Clams!

Enjoy,
Travis

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2009, 22:36:22 »
COOL!!!  It looks like you have some chromis in there? 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2009, 22:48:37 »
COOL!!!  It looks like you have some chromis in there? 

Yeah, I got some stuff today.  There is a local place that is moving locations very soon and had a 50% off all livestock sale today.  I picked up 10 chromis, a pink Zoa frag, a Bi-color Blenny, and a Gold/Black Clam...all for $60 :)

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2009, 01:12:38 »
I really like the new stand you built to hide the equipment.  Very nice setup, Travis! I really like the addition of the blue/green chromis as well ... the perfect schooling fish for the captive reef.  I have a school of 9 blue/green chromis I purchased from Marine Solutions in QT now.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2009, 21:40:34 »
Any updates, Travis? Looks like you are off to a great start!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2009, 23:32:24 »
Wow...sorry I missed this post Tim.  I have to get some pictures, but there are some updates.  I'll get to it this week.

Travis

bigfalcon36

5 month update
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2009, 20:33:43 »
I appologize that I have updated this in a while.  So here it is, only 5 months since I posted my original pictures of the tank.  There have been some changes along the way so far.  First, I have changed my aquascape.  The original setup looked nice, but didn't allow light to reach the bottom of the tank.  I have spread things out for now.  I am still not 100% happy, but everything is growing nicely.  Second, I have changed my light set-up.  I sold my Icecap T5 retro system and my ReefOptix3 pendants and got 2 Lumenbright DE pendants.  I am still running the hamilton 14k bulbs.  All I can say is WOW about these reflectors...they absolutely crush it!

Here are some pictures of the tank.  These pictures SUCK and don't even do the colors justice, but at least you get the idea of what I am after. 

Full Shot:

Turoki:

Green Slimer, growing like a weed:

Baby Maxima that I picked up last night:

Derasa I think:

Green Cap I grabbed last night:

Japanese Zoa's I grabbed last night:

Idaho Grape Cap:

Favorite Cap, Leng Si:

This is the one I think that is a Garf Bonsai...but not sure:

Mr. Deltec...crushing it!

And my next project...My Wife's 40 gallon breeder!  It's going to be a softie tank...she is already storing a Purple and Pink Hammer, Pink Tipped Torch, Green Torch and a few other things in my tank for it.  We also have the live rock for it!  Stand has the doors off.  More to come on this!!! 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2009, 20:43:50 »
LOL. I am storing stuff for my wife too. Her tank is finished cycling. Live stock next week!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2009, 21:26:54 »
LOL. I am storing stuff for my wife too. Her tank is finished cycling. Live stock next week!

I'm just happy she's kind of into the hobby...there are a lot of spouse's that don't want to spend the money or the time creating a sweet mini ecosystem

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2009, 10:57:07 »
I'm just happy she's kind of into the hobby...there are a lot of spouse's that don't want to spend the money or the time creating a sweet mini ecosystem

Me too. Its funny, not too long ago the hobby annoyed her. Then she went to a frag swap with me. Now she has her own system up and running. Even helped design and build the sump.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:42 »
Looks like a Garf to me, Travis. I really enjoyed the updates.  Great job! Don't forget to bring me a small  frag of your Leng Si cap over the holidays (reminder #2).

bigfalcon36

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2009, 12:03:12 »
Looks like a Garf to me, Travis. I really enjoyed the updates.  Great job! Don't forget to bring me a small  frag of your Leng Si cap over the holidays (reminder #2).

You want a piece of the Turaki as well?  I don't know if you have it or not...will you need lineage for both?

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2009, 12:25:03 »
Just a small piece of your Leng Si cap will do...lineage not needed. Thanks, Travis!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2009, 14:36:31 »
Awesome Travis!  Glad you are both into the hobby!  :)

bigfalcon36

Update:
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2010, 08:42:56 »
Apologize for the bad quality pictures, but you can get the idea from these.

We'll start off with a full tank shot (kind of a progression series)

Initial Set-up:

First Redo on the aquascape:

Last night:

Scripps with the Original Superman below it:

ORA Pearlberry:

Licorice Loripes with Yellow Scroll:

Sunset Monti and a few Ricordea:

Yellow Scroll again

ORA Rose Milli frag with Mr. Clam and Sour Apple Monti

True Leng Si:

The Green Slimer...this is starting to get big...

Orange Monti, Sour Apple Monti, some Zoas and Turaki:

The only change that I have done, equipment wise, since the last update is that I sold off my Tunze 6100s and got two Tunze 6105.

Hope you like them!
Travis

Reefd Up

« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2010, 09:35:31 »
Nice!  You have some really nice corals in there!!  Love the Leng Sy...that's on my list for the 150g.  Glad you still lurk around here too!  :)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:01 »
Looking good, Travis!! Good to see ya back on the board!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2010, 16:12:23 »
very nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2010, 19:12:14 »
Excuse me... who is this Travis guy???  I'm not sure I remember him!  :D 

Lookin Good Travis!  :) 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2010, 19:20:58 »
Nice!  You have some really nice corals in there!!  Love the Leng Sy...that's on my list for the 150g.  Glad you still lurk around here too!  :)
thanks for your kind words Nikki.  I try to lurk as much as possible...I can't forget my roots.  The Leng Sy grows like a weed if you put it up high, directly under a light.  I still owe Tim a piece...so let me know when you're ready and when the weather breaks I can hook you up.

Looking good, Travis!! Good to see ya back on the board!

thanks gary!  Glad I could pop in.

very nice

Thank you!

Excuse me... who is this Travis guy???  I'm not sure I remember him!  :D 

Lookin Good Travis!  :) 
Of course you remember all those moments that we had Micki...you, me, Randy in the fish room down in the basement.  I guess I could start another thread if people want the details...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2010, 19:31:59 »
Oh yes Travis!  Those were the days!  ahhh the memories...  :D 

I'm not sure you should share all of our secrets!  LOL

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2010, 20:11:59 »
i would love some secrets
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2010, 20:18:14 »
me too if my frags would grow like that...

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2010, 23:00:46 »
What about all those times with Micki going topless?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:02 »

Geeesh Gary, must you tell everything you know!?!   ;)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2010, 11:43:40 »
nice ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2010, 11:44:41 »
Geeesh Gary, must you tell everything you know!?!   ;)

You brought up secrets!!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2010, 13:06:00 »
And you are telling them!!!  UGH! 

;)

bigfalcon36

Update
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2010, 15:59:30 »
I decided that I wanted to try a new skimmer.  So, I sold the Deltec and bought a Bubble King 250 Supermarin.  There's no real reason behind the switch because my Deltec was great.  I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with these Bubble Kings.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2010, 16:00:33 »
And the results...   :D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2010, 16:04:18 »
WOW that is an expensive expermint. They sure do look cool though.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2010, 16:16:28 »
WOW that is an expensive expermint. They sure do look cool though.

I know they work, i just want to see how well.  The one question I have about them is the customer service.  Deltec was crazy...I sent an email and they just called because 'it's a better way to communicate...", that's crazy to me.

And the results...   :D

haven't got it yet...but i'll let you know.