2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Apex Setup  (Read 8773 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Apex Setup
« on: September 17, 2012, 21:53:03 »
I configured an Apex controller this evening. It is a really nice unit and so far I like it. I was wondering for those that have more experience how they may have setup their warning and email alarms. i.e. Tempature and PH warning vs email vs audible alarm. If you wouldn't mind post up your code.
Thanks

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Apex Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 22:31:34 »
Alarms can be a little fun..........depends on what you want to do....here is my email alarm.   I currently don't have a ph alarm, but it's no different.   One thing to be aware of....rename your probes.   Make sure that your ph probe is not named "ph".   Change it to something like Tank_ph

Set OFF
If SmpTemp > 83.0 Then ON
If SmpTemp < 75.0 Then ON
If Outlet Skim_SW_OK = OFF Then ON
If Power EB8_4 Off 000 Then ON
If Power EB8_8 Off 000 Then ON
If Power Apex Off 005 Then ON

The power alarms get trick if you are powering your apex from a second source.   You can also use virtual outlets if you want to delay some events from alarming, of course you can delay the entire alarm too.   Give a little more description of what you would like to do.....and I'll give you a hand.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 22:45:43 »
I'd get you mine but I can't do so from Alabama .  Don't have the link to my apex.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 00:10:38 »
Thanks Paul.
If Outlet Skim_SW_OK = OFF Then ON
Do you have a skim over flow sensor?
My Probe names are PH and Temp. What issue can this cause?
How come no PH alarm?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 19:51:31 »
I actually have 3 switches related to my skimmer.   2 are for overflow shutdow, and the 3rd is a manual shutoff so that I can clean the skimmer.  That is a virtual outlet that delays the alarm for about 10 minutes......but shutdown is immediate.

There is an issue that in the alarm statement that the ph setting will change into temp.   He is not sure what causes it (or I'm sure it would be fixed)  Just rename your probe, and you will be fine.

if ph < 7.80 then On
Will change to
if temp < 7.80 then On

I have ph in my dosing pump shutdown, just no alarm yet.   I wasn't sure where to set it.....so I just watch it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:41:54 »
Thank you for telling me that about the PH and Temp. If I rename them do I also call them in code under the new name? For example if I rename Temp to S_Temp then code would be:
S_Temp < 78.0 then On

I can research but thought I would ask. Is their input into the appex? i.e. Water level of sump rises, engages relay that feeds input voltage to Apex to take a action on.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:44:44 »
Thank you for telling me that about the PH and Temp. If I rename them do I also call them in code under the new name? For example if I rename Temp to S_Temp then code would be:
S_Temp < 78.0 then On

I can research but thought I would ask. Is their input into the appex? i.e. Water level of sump rises, engages relay that feeds input voltage to Apex to take a action on.

Yes, use the changed name "S_Temp" in your code.   Normally when you rename probes and outlets......the code will automatically change through the code.   But I always check.

The apex base unit has 6 inputs for switches.   Each of the PM1,2 or 3 expansion modules give you an additional 6 inputs.   There is a round 8 pin connector on the bottom of the apex.    Neptune makes a Breakout Box, but it's very simple to DIY a breakout box.    I make by boxes with a combination of 1/8" mono jacks and toggle switches.   

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:26:54 »
Thanks again Paul. I ordered the breakout box from Premium.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:00 »
Thanks again Paul. I ordered the breakout box from Premium.

Already adding to the system :)

And just for reference the inputs are pull down.    Which means you will see 5 volts on each of the input lines, when a switch closes, it connects the input to a ground reference.

Make sure that when you are installing float switches.  You want them to be closed (input on) in the run condition.  That way if you accidentally unplug the float switch, you will get a fault too.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 19:20:16 »
Instead of using a float switch can I have open leads above the water so when water touches it grounds it? I was thinking of doing the same for leaks on floor.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 20:01:12 »
Instead of using a float switch can I have open leads above the water so when water touches it grounds it? I was thinking of doing the same for leaks on floor.

That would work, provided that the puddle is not shorted to something else.   This would be highly risky to send a pulse into your apex.    But some have done it.

Here are a few links.    The last link is one of the better "off the shelf" solutions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2099669
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842479&highlight=water+bug+apex
http://www.specialtyalarms.com/site/1313932/product/80-519
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 20:12:18 by Wall_Tank »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 21:45:06 »
That is true that could be issue, I can isolate it with a relay and 9 volt battery.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 22:28:54 »
That is true that could be issue, I can isolate it with a relay and 9 volt battery.

If you can get enough current to flow through the water to fire the relay.......it should work.    That is why that one picture uses a transistor to fire the relay, of course it is really sensitive that way.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:01 »
Man this controller is really nice. It has great potential. I like it a lot. What are you using for power backup? Is the little 12VDC power in for just powering up the unit in the event of a power failure to send alarms? Are you using it or do you have a larger battery backup. I was thinking of doing a battery backup that would turn off all outlets except return pump in event of power failure. Not sure how the Apex would know their is power failure unless I rig up a relay into the breakout box. Thoughts?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 07:52:17 »
Yup, completely flexible.  You can do almost anything you can dream up.   A million ways to configure.

My Apex base module gets its power from my Marine Batteries that also powers my vortech mp40's in a power outage.   The Apex can sense power outages on any of the power feeds.    How are you going to power your return pump on a power outage?

If Power EB8_4 Off 000 Then ON   <---- 1st Energy Bar
If Power EB8_8 Off 000 Then ON    <-----2nd Energy Bar
If Power Apex Off 005 Then ON     <-----this is the power command for the Apex Base Module, in my case it only goes ON if unplugged.

Also, remember that you can decide to not backup power your Apex base module, and then use the Fallback command on your Energy Bar outlets.   Fallback is the outlet state if communication is lost to the controller.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 12:19:46 »
Paul, maybe I can come over this weekend and take a look at your config and talk through this a bit if you have time. That would help me quite a bit

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 13:37:39 »
Just give me a call, would be happy to show you.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:04:22 »

Just shown at MACNA,   Neptune is going to release and Advance Leak Detection module that can interface with up to 4 sensors.....  I'm sure more info will be available soon on their "new" web site.

Also, take a look at the new firmware/web pages.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:07 »
Nice! A fantastic controller they just keep making better. A really great company with high quality products they are committed to.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 05:55:16 »
I am trying to set the skimmer in event of power loss to delay start by 5 minutes when power is restored. When I test this, the skimmer turns on when power is restored then turns off for 5 minutes.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Power EB8 Off 005 Then OFF

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 09:33:59 »
I am trying to set the skimmer in event of power loss to delay start by 5 minutes when power is restored. When I test this, the skimmer turns on when power is restored then turns off for 5 minutes.

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Power EB8 Off 005 Then OFF

Do you have your APEX base module powered up during this test?   It sounds like when power is restored and the apex is booting up, the skimmer runs.  As soon as the boot process is complete the statement is executed and the skimmer turns back off.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:04 »
Yes that is exactly what is happening. I pulled power and don't have any backup power for Apex base Module. I guess I need to figure out what to do for backup power now. I do have a Marine Battery. You recommend a trickly charger for it and then a DC to AC converter?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:16:18 »
Yes that is exactly what is happening. I pulled power and don't have any backup power for Apex base Module. I guess I need to figure out what to do for backup power now. I do have a Marine Battery. You recommend a trickly charger for it and then a DC to AC converter?

I personally just run a Marine battery, and a trickle charger.    Then I have a small DC-DC voltage regulator to make sure only 12v gets to the Apex.  (Since Marine batteries and trickle chargers run 13-14.5v.   The Marine battery also is my backup for my Vortechs, as they have a 12v power input for backup power.

What do you want to run from the backup.   The simplest could just be a normal computer UPS.    Some will use a UPS to power the EB8 for critical devices.   Then have a separate EB8 for non-critical stuff.    Just be sure that if you use a UPS, that you have ground fault protection after the UPS.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:02 »
I would like to run my return pump it pulls 1.2 amps 110 watts and the Apex. The return pump would need to run when power is on and when going to backup power.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 12:21:50 »
In that case, just run the main pump separate from the APEX on a UPS.   Use one of the outlets on the UPS to power the Apex base module.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 12:34:55 »
I have a battery and power inverter but not a UPS. Would it be cheaper to use that or is the issue with the relay required to switch between AC home power and Invertor Power? If that is more complex then I should just buy a UPS.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 12:58:52 »
I have a battery and power inverter but not a UPS. Would it be cheaper to use that or is the issue with the relay required to switch between AC home power and Invertor Power? If that is more complex then I should just buy a UPS.

This is all a UPS does.....just in a neat clean package.    If you want to DIY it, I have a 120v coild relay you can have.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 17:23:56 »
Neptune released the new firmware......beta release.    I always have used their betas, rarely they have big problems.

Love the new home screens.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 17:50:16 »
Nice! I saw that at macna. Times like these I wish my build were done and ready to play.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 20:22:06 »
Paul I will let you beta test for a while before I update mine. Let me know if you have any issues.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Apex Setup
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 17:54:44 »
I had also seen the new release at MACNA. Paul are you running the new beta release?
I have my apex set up on a small ups and I also set my router up on one. That way I'm still able to see what's happening when the power is out.

I hadn't thought of backing it up with a marine battery. As I have my tunzes backed up this way in case of a power outage.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 18:06:38 »
Yes,  I'm running the beta.   No problems so far.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 10:11:23 »
Neptune introduced the Leak Detection module at Macna too...   I just noticed that it is now for sale too.

$75 for the interface module.....and $30 per probe.    hmmmmm....I'm sure this could be done cheaper with a DIY solution, but this is pretty elegant.

http://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/leak-detection-ald/

And the 4.20 firmware is out of beta.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:09 »
Going to give the new firmware a try, the new interface looks nice

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:56 »
Make sure you do it with a hard cable connection.....don't use a wireless adapter.   And do a backup before you start.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 12:30:47 »
I almost forgot about that. Thanks

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:32 »
so lazy what has been improved on the set up
did you add any more

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 12:46:15 »
I never did update the firmware. I will soon but just haven't had a chance yet.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:07 »
Looking to order the Apex and was wondering where you guys suggest to buy from? Do any of the club vendors carry the apex? Any club discounts? Right now i'm looking at Marine Depot because they show it in stock.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Neptune_Systems_Apex_AquaController_System_with_Standard_Grade_pH_Probe_Multi_Item_Monitors_Controllers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Neptune_Systems-NS11087-FITEMOMI-vi.html

Are the standard probes sufficient or do I need to get lab grade?
Any other add ons I need right away other than the standard Apex which I will eventually add to and grow.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 13:25:07 »
Premium Aquatics is a club Sponsor and they sell the complete line of Apex products. Order Monday arrives Tuesday.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 13:27:21 »
I've spent extra for the lab grade before- it wasn't worth it.

The only thing that I would recommend in addition to the standard kit is the I/O breakout box. You can wire up switches on your canopy for feed mode, to turn off your skimmer when you're cleaning, or wire it to a float switch in your sump (higher than your regular ATO switches) as an emergency overflow sensor.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 14:04:15 »
I was wondering if their was a row limitation on the Apex. I am setting up my dosing pump. This is what I have. After inputting and clicking the update button it shows fine. Then when leaving and coming back it has lost everything beyond row 18. Anyone know if this is the limitation on the apex.

Set OFF
Fallback OFF

If Time 00:00 to 00:10 Then ON
If Time 01:00 to 01:10 Then ON
If Time 02:00 to 02:10 Then ON
If Time 03:00 to 03:10 Then ON
If Time 04:00 to 04:10 Then ON
If Time 05:00 to 05:10 Then ON
If Time 06:00 to 06:10 Then ON
If Time 07:00 to 07:10 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 08:10 Then ON
If Time 09:00 to 09:10 Then ON
If Time 10:00 to 10:10 Then ON
If Time 11:00 to 11:10 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 12:10 Then ON
If Time 13:00 to 13:10 Then ON
If Time 14:00 to 14:10 Then ON
If Time 15:00 to 15:10 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 16:10 Then ON  ------- I lose everything beyond this line
If Time 17:00 to 17:10 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 18:10 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:10 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 20:10 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:10 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 22:10 Then ON
If Time 23:00 to 23:10 Then ON

If S_pH > 08.50 Then OFF

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 14:24:12 »
Never came up on that, but you might want to check into the OSC command

Something like..
OSC 0:55/5:00/0:55 Then ON
If S_pH > 08.50 Then OFF

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 14:52:07 »
I was going to use the OSC command however I wanted the ability to increase the ALk doses during the low PH time. I know my tank consumes a total of 240 Minutes of Alk dosing per day. I was hoping to monitor PH swing and modify minutes to minimize the swing. I can do that with a combination of OSC and time commands but it becomes complex.

Based on recomendation does this work and what about the SET command? Would it dose 15 minutes each time power cycled

Fallback OFF
OSC 0:00/15:00/45:00 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 23:00 Then OFF
If S_pH > 8.50 Then OFF

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 15:29:19 »
There was a thread on RC where a guy did three different dosing schedules using virtual outlets.. let me see if I can find it.

But yes, I believe that time overrides OSC.

This is close.. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885475

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 15:39:21 »
It looks to me like you want to dose 10 minutes every hour, unless the ph is too high..

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 0:50/0:10/0:50 then ON
If S_pH > 08.50 Then OFF

I would think that would do it..

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 15:47:45 »
That is a big help. I can make that work by using the time in OSC so it won't cycle with power. Then I can add some explicit times if I want to give a bit of extra dose during a specific time of night. I am looking for a total of 240 minutes of dosing. WIll this work?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 30:00/15:00/15:00 Then ON
If Time 17:00 to 23:00 Then OFF
If S_pH > 08.50 Then OFF

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 15:54:47 »
I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 16:16:52 »
Should work.......

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 16:47:42 »
Thank you

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 21:00:47 »
Apex ordered from Premium Aquatics. Be prepared for lots of questions lol.

Offline THE MAD REEFER

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 21:50:01 »
I am still full of questions..... :-[

but I am tagging along to see what I may have missed

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 12:04:35 »
Bring em on David and Buck

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Apex Setup
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 17:26:07 »
It begins...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2013, 17:40:58 »
Awesome choice!

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Apex Setup
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2013, 20:36:12 »
Awesome choice!

Great suggestion on Premium Aquatics. The only way they could have shipped it quicker was to jump in a car and drive it to me from Indy.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Apex Setup
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 20:58:04 »
The lights I will be running with the Apex are two 120 Watt LEDs. They have separate plugs for the blues and whites. Can I get away with combining the chords for the whites and blues into one outlet for the Apex?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2013, 21:17:37 »
Yes you can or you can do both whites in one outlet and both blues in a second outlet

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Apex Setup
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 08:05:53 »
I was wondering if their was a row limitation on the Apex. I am setting up my dosing pump. This is what I have. After inputting and clicking the update button it shows fine. Then when leaving and coming back it has lost everything beyond row 18. Anyone know if this is the limitation on the apex.

Set OFF
Fallback OFF

If Time 00:00 to 00:10 Then ON
If Time 01:00 to 01:10 Then ON
If Time 02:00 to 02:10 Then ON
If Time 03:00 to 03:10 Then ON
If Time 04:00 to 04:10 Then ON
If Time 05:00 to 05:10 Then ON
If Time 06:00 to 06:10 Then ON
If Time 07:00 to 07:10 Then ON
If Time 08:00 to 08:10 Then ON
If Time 09:00 to 09:10 Then ON
If Time 10:00 to 10:10 Then ON
If Time 11:00 to 11:10 Then ON
If Time 12:00 to 12:10 Then ON
If Time 13:00 to 13:10 Then ON
If Time 14:00 to 14:10 Then ON
If Time 15:00 to 15:10 Then ON
If Time 16:00 to 16:10 Then ON  ------- I lose everything beyond this line
If Time 17:00 to 17:10 Then ON
If Time 18:00 to 18:10 Then ON
If Time 19:00 to 19:10 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 20:10 Then ON
If Time 21:00 to 21:10 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 22:10 Then ON
If Time 23:00 to 23:10 Then ON

If S_pH > 08.50 Then OFF

I've never had an issue with being past the 18th line.
I had my dosing set up the exactly same way you did.  I knew how much Alk I needed to add so I broke it down to twice an hour through the lights out period.
Maybe taking the spaces out from between your lines would help.

I recently switched mine over to OSCcommand. I attached a lamp to an outlet and played with the command till I could wrap my head around it and feel confident it is dosing what I want.

I recently upgraded my firmware to 4.20
That was the best move I have done.
I now have streaming video of my tank on dashboard 1. Then I set a camera up inside my stand looking at my sump and skimmer. It is on dashboard2.
You can now stream 4 different cameras to the apex.  Not on the same screen but on the four different dashboards.

It is a very cool feature of the new firmware.

I really love the apex.

Cheers

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 20:20:19 »
David and Bucknutz, how is your Apex programing coming along? Any questions or issues?

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 20:36:55 »
David and Bucknutz, how is your Apex programing coming along? Any questions or issues?

No major issues here yet. I only have 8 outlets right now and have been slowly hooking everything up. I have White lights, blue lights, sump light, right powerhead, left powerhed, and heater hooked up so far. This leaves skimmer, return pump, and ATO with two outlets left.

Would it be better to run the sump light on it's own timer so I can put the skimmer, return pump, and ATO all on the apex? I plan on getting the breakout box and a couple switches to run ATO with the Apex eventually.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2013, 20:41:24 »
For all the items that you want a constant on and no monitoring required you can connect to one outlet with one of these. http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q
You could do the Right/Left Power Head & Return Pump all on the DJ switch. ANd you can still easily power them off individually if you want to using the DJ switch.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2013, 22:04:53 »
For all the items that you want a constant on and no monitoring required you can connect to one outlet with one of these. http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q
You could do the Right/Left Power Head & Return Pump all on the DJ switch. ANd you can still easily power them off individually if you want to using the DJ switch.

are you saying to still plug the DJ switch into the apex? Guess this would work great and you could still setup everything on the DJ switch for feed mode.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 22:27:05 »
Yes you can do that.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 20:24:23 »
How many of you have the ORP probe with the apex? Is there any advantage to buying it if you aren't running ozone?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 21:37:41 »
How many of you have the ORP probe with the apex? Is there any advantage to buying it if you aren't running ozone?

If you're not running ozone, it's just a, "Oh that's nice to know.." item.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 23:41:16 »
I am getting the Apex itch. Although I have no clue what some of the things you guys talk about with them is. I do like that I can check on things when I am away from home. And also that they have fail safes to shut things down if I'm not around.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Apex Setup
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 23:49:45 »
I am getting the Apex itch.

Know what you mean! My budget just won't allow it right now.

I have a RK2 and like it but the Apex would be so much nicer!!

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2013, 00:08:21 »
I'm selling an older model guys. But I'm telling you it can do everything the apex can do except the light dimming.  And it can be done from internet and all. Its does not have as nice of a internet interface but. Does the job. Can send alerts and all.  Very nice system and has a salinity probe which most people dont have. Cuz they run over 100 for just that probe. Only $250 guys. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Apex Setup
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2013, 07:07:19 »
I am getting the Apex itch. Although I have no clue what some of the things you guys talk about with them is. I do like that I can check on things when I am away from home. And also that they have fail safes to shut things down if I'm not around.

Do it.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Apex Setup
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:08 »
Do it.

What is the best model to get, for the money?

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Apex Setup
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:06 »

I will let the guys here that have been using it longer answer that question. I went with the full $500 version myself. I figured if I didn't I would regret it down the road and end up spending more.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Apex Setup
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2013, 14:14:26 »

If your planning on controlling led lights or tunze pumps. Go with the full Apex.
The 500$ version comes with a ph probe also.

If your not going to use the  variable ports then go with the Apex lite.

You can always buy the VDM module later if you want to control pumps or lights.

I love my apex.

At the moment I'm working on a water mixing/continuous water change system.
One day a week it will mix a new batch via delivery from a separate container full of a highly concentrated salt water slurry.  This is done by using 120V solenoid valves. 
I'm running a PM2 module to control the salinity and temperature also the valves  in the new saltwater mixing container.

The rest of the week it will change out 1.5 gallons per day in my 100 gallon sps system.

My point is, the possibilities are endless with the Apex system controllers.

The best money I've spent for my hobby so far.

Happy Reefing

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Apex Setup
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2013, 16:37:03 »
It would have to control my AI Sols. So the full is what I need.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2013, 16:55:06 »
No.   AI Sol's require the add on VDM module.   So in your case the full Apex provides no benefit of the Apex Lite.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Apex Setup
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2013, 16:58:20 »
No.   AI Sol's require the add on VDM module.   So in your case the full Apex provides no benefit of the Apex Lite.

You are correct for the AI Sols.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2013, 16:59:58 »
Thats not fair. lol

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Apex Setup
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2013, 20:47:32 »
Ha ,
They must have teamed up on that one.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 21:04:37 »
I was looking at there web site. http://www.neptunesystems.com/led-dimming-module/
They claim to work with the Sol.
You know why they are called the Sol? Because you have to sell you soul to get one.  :alas:  :be happy:

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 21:14:05 »
I have the Marine Solutions LEDs which I believe without opening, modifying, and breaking the warranty I can't dim them with the Apex.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 21:47:29 »
I was looking at there web site. http://www.neptunesystems.com/led-dimming-module/
They claim to work with the Sol.

Yup, that is the VDM.   It is a separate module.....

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Apex Setup
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 22:01:12 »
Yup, that is the VDM.   It is a separate module.....

Well that sucks. Lol

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Apex Setup
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 22:16:06 »
Would the lite work with float switches for an ATO?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 22:38:18 »
All Apex units can interface with inputs.

Full Apex - Includes 4 analog outputs (0-10vdc)
Apex Lite - Exact Same as above without the analog outputs.

The VDM module is for the AI-sol, but also has 4 analog outputs(0-10vdc)  so you can add the analog function to the Apex Lite at any time.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Apex Setup
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2013, 23:06:49 »
Ok. Now what's the difference between the Apex Lite and Apex Jr?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:02 »
Apex Jr is a processor and 4 strip outlet built into one unit.   It has very little built into the main system.   It can be expanded using the same modules as the apex, but you can only attach 5 devices to the JR.  THe display that does come with the Jr, uses one of the 5 expansion device slots.

Here is a complete rundown of the differences of the base units.......again all units can be expanded with modules or energy bars.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:25 »
Thanks Wall_Tank!

You wouldn't need a display on the JR if you program by web, correct? Also, do any of the modules have the ability to connect a break out box to? (you have to have a breakout box for float switches, correct?)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:59 »
Correct you would not need a display, but it typically comes with the kit.

The following expansion modules also have 6 switch inputs that can be used with a breakout box.
PM1 - PH/Orp
PM2 - Salinity
PM3 - Dissolved Oxygen

You don't need a breakout box, you can make your own cable if you want.    It is just a MiniDin 8 connector.