2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sealing Bucket Lid  (Read 1732 times)

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
Sealing Bucket Lid
« on: January 13, 2011, 16:00:30 »
Wrapping up my DIY RDSB and everything seems to be in order except that the lid of my bucket isn't holding water. It's only a tiny leak, any ideas how to make a better seal on a generic Lowes 5g bucket?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: Sealing Bucket Lid
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 16:13:07 »
Are you running it under Positive pressure?

I just have a uniseal at the top of the side of mine, so gravity takes it out like overflow
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 18:16:19 »
It is under pressure. No sump and no room around tank means

Overflow -> Bucket -> External Pump -> Return

Not really my ideal setup but until I get out of this house I'm stuck.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 18:54:21 »
I'm thinking maybe aquarium caulk around the rim and then putting the lid back, giving it a day to cure and giving it another run. Comments?

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:56:02 »
Justin,

Are you flowing water directly from your overflow box into your NNR (natural nitrate reduction) bucket?   The way these are supposed to be set up, water wouldn't be overflowing out the top of the bucket. Can you post a pic or drawing of how you have it set up? Your description of your set up doesn't sound right. Maybe it's fine  but a second opinion(s) can't hurt.

Joel

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:58 »

Upper hose is intake, lower is outflow. Outflow leads directly to an external pump (Quiet1 1200) underneath the tank, which pumps directly back up and in. Water is leaking around the lid of the bucket, the uniseals are holding up nicely.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:06 »

Let's try this again.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:19:09 »
I would say that either the lines are to high up on the bucket or you are flowing water to quickly (or both)  If water is flowing quickly it is likely that you will see little to no difference in water quality.  Other than this bucket, what filtration are you running? These really need to be an auxiliary filter to the main filtering system.  Also the water getting to your NNR or RDSB (what ever you want to call it) needs to be free of particulate matter other wise it will become a nutrient sink and contribute to nitrates & algae instead of remove them. A typical overflow box lets a lot of debris past it, it really needs very finely filtered water getting to it, like 50 microns or less.( les would be better if it is an option)  I'm not sure your going to get the results your looking for with this configuration.  Did you say you were limited on space? What size tank it it?

Joel

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 13:28:19 »
It's a 20g tank running a Fluval canister. I'm not thrilled about the size and I really REALLY don't want a canister but I live with my mother and she won't let me upgrade the size and she insists on a filter that is completely closed so take it up with her (please, god, someone make her see sense).
The tank has been doing fine for two years now except that there's about ten inches too much moray eel in there and I can't keep up with the bioload. My only other solution is to tear down until we leave and start over but I'm not allowed to do that EITHER (my mom's attached to the eel).
I based the plans for the RDSB off a thread on saltwater.com that said the high flow (150gph - 250gph) was actually ideal, and would help keep particulates from settling. I'll accept that it might be wrong but I'll be pissed that I put time (which I admittedly have) and money (which I don't at all) into this. I'm kinda sick of arguing with my mother and watching my tank die slowly at the same time.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 13:36:06 »
So this is inline with the cansiter or a second pump all on its own?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 19:01:29 »
Second, separate pump. I would love to make it all in line, but I just wanted something up and running for now.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 19:05:14 »
Actually, that would solve the particulate problem and I could control the flow better, however, I still have a leaky bucket lid.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 21:51:29 »
What exactly is the purpose of this project? I must have missed something.
Chromiumlux

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 22:12:39 »
The bioload in my tank is spiraling out of control. Since I'm not allowed to change from a canister filter or upgrade to a bigger tank (at least not yet) I figured an RDSB would be a good alternative.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 22:15:16 »
oh ok, I see now.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 22:22:19 »
Maybe vodka dosing is a good option for you. It has the ability to completely control nitrates by dramatically increasing the bacteria in your tank. I have see lots of success with it. There are also several members of Ohio Reef that have been very successfully using it. If you get a chance read this and see if you think it is right for you.  http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/41018-microbacter7-vodka-dosing-guide.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:35:18 by Lazylivin »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 00:03:00 »
so would something like this work ?
http://bashsea.com/products/no-trate.html
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 07:55:33 »
The quick thing that I can think of is placing the bucket ABOVE the tank and pumping water to it and letting overflow via gravity back to tank. That should fix the positive pressure issue and you won't have to trust a bucket lid seal