2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: wondering about fish.  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Bright79

• I love tangs !!!!!
  • Juvenile
wondering about fish.
« on: February 10, 2011, 21:47:14 »
can u have other fish in with a seahorse. .  what kind of tank would you need for a seahorse. as far as inside. corals rock ect....
I am the tank crasher !!!

Offline HUNGER

Re: wondering about fish.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 21:57:57 »
pipefish
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 22:11:01 by HUNGER »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 22:07:55 »
I once had a seahorse but it was about 10 years ago. Was only able to keep it for a couple years so marginally successful at best. With this said my feedback may not be accurate.

Yes you can have other fish with your seahorse. However know that seahorses are grazers and not at all aggressive. They are constantly on the hunt for food but slow to react when they see something to eat. It is not uncommon for other fish to eat all the food before they get any. Sea horses do best in a tank with lots of macro algae for pods to breed and hide and slow current. A good sea horse tank is not optimized for most corals. This is all I can offer you at this time but it is a start and perhaps others will join in with some guidance to what makes a good home for them

pipe fish
:th_3confused:

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 22:09:23 »
Rich just got in some pipefish...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline larrynews

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 22:30:37 »
no stinging corals and not much flow, i tried my best and i couldnt keep them a live

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 15:45:53 »
Pipe fish are great tank mates for sea horses

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 22:02:55 »
I once heard that Jawfish made good tankmates, they're quite endearing.