2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: clam in my 55 gal  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
clam in my 55 gal
« on: April 22, 2011, 21:32:04 »
I am just curious to what everyone thinks on this because I do not have much experience with clams. I was thinking about possible getting one and wasn't sure about my lighting. I think I know the answer which is best to not try. I have a 55 gallon tank with 4x65 pc. Would that be enough light? If I was to try a clam which would be my best choice to try?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: clam in my 55 gal
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 22:02:03 »
I have 2 Derasas, i they are pretty forgiving on lack of light. If the clam is unhappy where its at, it will move. You can also place it up on your rocks to get it more light. I wouldnt see you having any issues with it being 1/2 way up the tank. But i base everything off of PAR and i dont recall how much the PC lights give off with new bulbs and when they are 4mo Old. I know my Derasas were happy with 150 PAR though.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 15:27:16 »
Are the dursas the only type of clam that you would recomend if I me was going to try one?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 15:55:50 »
Derasa Clams are pretty easy clams to keep.    They don't have a "foot" that attaches to a substrate, they do well just in the sandbed.   These can be fast growers, and will tax your Calcium and Alkalinity, so keep up with the doseing.

For the most part, you don't need to feed them.......just feed them light.  I never feed mine....I don't use phyto either, but if you get a small one < 3" in length, then you might want to target feed them with something like DT's phytoplankton.

If you want a nice full grown 6.5" clam, check out my posting on Frag Swapper.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 16:32:12 »
Thanks, I would love to have yours but seems like it may take up a lot of rel-estate in my 55gal. I was thinking of getting a little smaller specimen, but I appreciate letting me know about yours. It looks very healthy. So does anyone know if any of the other species of clams that may do well under my lighting?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 17:40:06 »
The maxima might. Its the smallest I think if the trdacnid "giant clam" family

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 17:42:50 »
Are the dursas the only type of clam that you would recomend if I me was going to try one?

I haven't had any of the others so I can't really say much about them though um sure they are about the same. Eventually they all get pretty big. I plan on attempting to breed soon soon.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 20:30:04 »
You may have luck with squamosa clams but they get rather large.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 21:00:46 »
here is some good reading

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/index.php

dang, cant find the other website. But it tells you the normal depths that you find them and how "forgiving" they are when not enough light is present

Also i was wrong, its not the maxima, its the crosea thats the smallest, getting as big as around 7 inches.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 21:06:58 »
I plan to up grade in next couple years so I am thinking I would like to start with a smaller clam and let it grow out until I upgrade. I was kinda hoping to get a maxima but wasn't sure if my lighting is enough. I wish I knew where I really stood on my par but dont know anyone with par meter local. I dont want to buy something and not have the conditions for it to be able to survive. I would rather wait. I just changed my bulbs 3 weeks ago but still not sure.. Guess I will probably just wait till after swap and try locate par meter.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 21:18:03 »
I have a par meter. They cost roughly 150 if you want to buy one. Be careful with starting out with a small clam. Most dont turn photosynthetic till they are over 3". Which means you may have to supplement feed them phyto and if the light is bright, they might not open very well. At least thats what i have been told. They will hide from the light though if they are that unhappy. I started out with a couple almost 3" wide, and they were a little weary on opening up, so i placed them is some slight shade and a couple weeks later they came out and started to open.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 13:17:49 »
Thanks thats good to know. I guess I am still curious if there is anyone who has had sucess with maxima under power compact? Do the maxima need be on a rock or can they rest in the sand bed?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 13:43:12 »

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 17:02:48 »
I tried to keep a maxima under 4x 90 watt pc's and it lost most of it's brilliant color within a few months. the lights were 4" off the water and the clam was 6" under the water. I switched to 400 watt MH moved the clam down 10" from the surface of the water and it colored back up.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 20:14:06 »
Great now thats what I wanted to here a definite circumstance where someone had them under power compact and failed. If I get one I will stick with the dersa. Thanks everyone!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 23:06:17 »
Here is my old softie tank. It is a 55g with 4x96w Power Compact. It had been running for a good 4 years at this point with the clam in there since close to day one. I think it is a maxima but not sure, don't know clams very well. It grew slow but I never dosed any calcium and used instant ocean so it didn't have much to work with.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 19:28:48 »
That looks like a Crocea Clam

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 19:42:38 »
Yes that is it.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 19:46:49 »
wow and those are supposed to be what everyone saying definitely couldn't live under power compacts... How long did it live? Did it just die or did something happen which caused to die..?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 22:19:23 »
It is still with me but now under a 400w Metal Halide. It has changed in color though, whole thing is dark purple but with blue around the edges. Not sure if that is due to age or lighting changes. Has grown a lot, much faster then before.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 13:18:30 »
I went ahead and picked up a dersa at the swap and it seems to be doing fine so far...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 13:25:23 »
I had a squamosa clam in a 75 under 440W VHO that did very well....at least until my tank crashed.  :(