2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Solar roof lights  (Read 2537 times)

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
Solar roof lights
« on: September 01, 2011, 00:11:59 »

Offline Viggen

Re: Solar roof lights
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:12:52 »
http://www.firstdaynaturallighting.com

a local place that sells them, I have been debating on trying their solar powered attic power vent......
300g tub o fish

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 13:55:41 »
I haev been thinking about doing this as well. I'm a big fan of things being natural and not too blued out to make things glow like in many awesome photo's i have seen, plus it saves on energy and is tuned to natural light cycles. But i dont think that its the best thing for ohio as we dont have a lot of sunny days if you are going with those alone. So I think that eventually I'm just going to install some solar panels to compensate for the energy usage and call it even lol.

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 16:03:29 »
The only thing I dont know about having these solar lights is, could you hook a photocell with a automatic dimmer to some LED fixtures that would make them brighter on those cloudy days. The LED fixtures would dim as the photocell got more light.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 16:06:56 »
The only thing I dont know about having these solar lights is, could you hook a photocell with a automatic dimmer to some LED fixtures that would make them brighter on those cloudy days. The LED fixtures would dim as the photocell got more light.

I don't see why you couldn't... but I am not sure how much sensitvity you are asking from the photo cell? as Most I have come across require a big difference of daylight between on and off... But given the correct cells and sensitivty I think you have a winner there... snow in the winter cause any problems? or do they heat those tubes at night, Also what are your run times? winter sun goes down around 6, but with a photo cell you'd still be good .
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 16:17:41 »
You would probably need to use the sensor from a par meter.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 22:11:31 »
Has anyone asked Rich at Coral Ranch about the solar?  I know he has some additional lighting but I don't think he depends heavily on the extra lighting.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 22:51:50 »
Has anyone asked Rich at Coral Ranch about the solar?  I know he has some additional lighting but I don't think he depends heavily on the extra lighting.

No too sure... i personally am not a fan of the sun look... yeah i know it's best but I love that "blue" look that makes everything pop

Spare the tube, invest in solar panels for a KA LED setup.... save energy that way, and keep your blue artificial look.... my .02

I also wonder how the sunlight can start in on some algae? since it's right around that 3k-6500k mark depending on what time of day it is. might make a nasty mess.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 18:50:53 »
I wouldn't think algae would be a issue at all if your parameters are in check. I do like the artificial blue look too but having the natural sun light would just be killer. Like seeing the lightening outside flashing inside your tank on those stormy days. That would be so coooooool. >:D I can feel my blood-pressure rising. >:D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 20:51:35 »

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:39:15 »
That's a great link to look at, You definitely can get some great ideas. Thanks for posting it Lazy

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:59 »
Like seeing the lightening outside flashing inside your tank on those stormy days.  >:D
that would be sweet
SIZE DOES MATTER