2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Clownfish  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
Clownfish
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:11:45 »
This year at my school im going to be participating in the science fair and wanted to hear some of your thoughts on my plan. So my plan is to buy a multiple 10 or 5 gallon tanks with heaters thermometers and air pumps. each tank would be set on a different temperature. next i would take newly hatched clownfish fry and but 10 or 20 clownfish in them. the question im trying to solve is if clownfish fry grow faster in higher temperature water like sharks do. the biggest problem i could think of is how to measure the clownfish at the end of the testing. i was thinking of possibly measureing them based on when the start to develop stripes fin when they turn orange and maybe i could somehow measure them with a ruler at the end of the testing period
90 gallon shallow

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Clownfish
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:41 »
a ruler would work for length ;) Are you only measuring the length to determine growth? or would u also be testing Girth/weight?... if so you may want to invest in a small gram scale and use a small tuberware container with water(zero scale) and reweigh the difference with the fish... for girth you could measure displacement to find a relative figure...

God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:25:52 »
+1 boonjob

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 20:38:52 »
a ruler would work for length ;) Are you only measuring the length to determine growth? or would u also be testing Girth/weight?... if so you may want to invest in a small gram scale and use a small tuberware container with water(zero scale) and reweigh the difference with the fish... for girth you could measure displacement to find a relative figure...

wow jeez thats a great idea hadnt even thought of it Thanks a ton
90 gallon shallow

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 22:27:13 »
Sure thing, keep us posted on what you come up with and if you have any other questions
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 19:37:33 »
well it seems i may have ran into a problem its been about a month and my clownfish have stopped laying eggs. Ive done a few water changes like i always do but still no eggs have been laid. any idea whats wrong.
90 gallon shallow

Offline reefer-oz

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 20:03:45 »
Good luck.  Hope it works out for you.  My paired perculas layed a lot of eggs but I never tried hatching them.