2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Only one clown hosting BTA  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
Only one clown hosting BTA
« on: November 20, 2011, 20:58:36 »
I have a clown pair that have been together for about 4 months now and they are in, what I like to hope is a loving relationship. I added a BTA about 3 weeks ago, after a week my female began to host the BTA. She is now fully acclimated to it's sting and even sleeps in the retracted nem at night. She will not allow my male anywhere near it, he tries to come up to it and she chases him off. He stays in the corner where they used to sleep together while she is in the nem, whenever she comes out he is at her side and swimming actively and eating voraciously. He has even stolen food from the nem when the females back was turned. The other night I caught him rubbing his belly on the tentacles so hopefully she will let him in soon.

Is this normal behavior for paired clowns acclimating to an anemone?
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Only one clown hosting BTA
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 22:25:23 »
Perfectly normal.  I honestly don't think there is a normal with clowns because they will do anything under the sun.

They way I would read it is, Your clowns are paired, the female is in the nem stating her dominance, but has put her partner in timeout in the corner of the tank.  Give them time, she will eventually let him in.

I've actually got a small pair od Picassos that are doing the exact same thing.  Although they are small enough that you can't tell the sex, I'm guessing the female is in the nem, with the male being banished to the PVC fittings in their growout tank.

Scott

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 22:28:13 »
Perfectly normal.  I honestly don't think there is a normal with clowns because they will do anything under the sun.

They way I would read it is, Your clowns are paired, the female is in the nem stating her dominance, but has put her partner in timeout in the corner of the tank.  Give them time, she will eventually let him in.

I've actually got a small pair od Picassos that are doing the exact same thing.  Although they are small enough that you can't tell the sex, I'm guessing the female is in the nem, with the male being banished to the PVC fittings in their growout tank.

Scott

+1

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 22:36:22 »
This was the one time he managed to sneak into the nem, last night I believe. He is now back to sleeping on the couch though.

As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 22:41:01 »
She will come around.  Once she starts laying eggs she will need him with her .  LOL

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 22:45:18 »
ya they will come around
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:42:54 »

Getting cozy-er

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:43 »
thats great
SIZE DOES MATTER