2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Computer Video Card 6870 ATI  (Read 2301 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Computer Video Card 6870 ATI
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:33:11 »
So i been getting into BF3 pretty heavy lately now that im not in school, well, when i have some down time. I have a Nvidia 9800GT which plays teh game well, but on low-medium graphics. But i have been out of the graphics loop for a while and came across Eyefinity from AMD/ATI. Pretty interesting how it does it though im not really sure how much of a difference it really is between setting up a normal 3 monitor PC, but it seems though it has some good benefits so i bought a new video card and 2 additional monitors to make a TRI-monitor setup with Eyefinity.

cant wait for it to be in, hopefully by the end of the week.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Computer Video Card 6870 ATI
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:31 »
oh bf3 so that's why you haven't been able to go to the grocery store lately? :)
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
Re: Computer Video Card 6870 ATI
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:55:50 »
oops, did i tell on myself lol. No, i havent been able to play it for the past couple weeks now. Aside from last night when it was 11pm, which im too tired to go shopping that late at night.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:05 »
Busted lol

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:57:16 »
 :-[

maybe angie will have time to go tonight while im out making my service runs.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:31 »
Just sign up for schwans.

http://www.schwans.com/
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:40:17 »
i have seriously considered it, but, they are more expensive than the local grocery store.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:49 »
Yeah, but some of their stuff is delicious and hard to find at normal stores... and they deliver right to your door haha ;P

We get some stuff from them every now and then when they stop by... but we by no means use them as our normal grocerer... we get things like their posicles(which are great) and some frozen snacks and breakfast items... usually not too expensive and you get a deceint amount... their specials can be good too... but we are towards the end of thier route so we usually dont see awhole lot of instock specials.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:45:06 »
DLM will deliver as well, but not to joooo.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 13:07:44 »
Make sure at least 1 of your monitors uses Display Port, otherwise you cannot do eyefinity.  And if you choose to use a adapter, you must get a active Display Port to DVI adapter, which they are around $100.

Guess how I know.........

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 13:10:01 »
bought a Display Port active display adapter to DVI for $30 newegg.com with my video card.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 14:27:42 »
Cool....let me know if that works out.  I didn't come across that one....however I don't have mini DP ports on my card.  I'll be honest, I don't use eyefinity on BF3, it messed up a lot of things.  I do however love it for playing Need For Speed.  It also gets real annoying while just in windows, I normally turn it off.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 15:09:49 »
I am normally not a fan of multiple screen displays for playing games... unless... I can play the game on one and look up info or multitask on the other...(but this really isn't playing the game with multiple displays)...

I think they are great for work or multitasking... Just not a fan for game play(tends to distract me more than anything.)

so that's 1 strike... :P

and the fact it is ATi is another Strike!

muaahahhahahahahahahaaha Nvidia FTW :P

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 15:38:48 »

and the fact it is ATi is another Strike!

muaahahhahahahahahahaaha Nvidia FTW :P

LOL....I used to be the same way....but I only buy XFX cards, and they pretty much got out of the Nvidia Business.  :-)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 15:47:28 »
I'm a big fan of nvidia myself. But I figured I would try out this eyefinity. I wanted more for multitasking but with using 3 monitors I can get perifrial vision which is an added bonus.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 15:47:45 »
Say what ye will soothesayer ;P haha

If you want value(<$200) ati may be an option... but if you want performance and quality... Nvidia

That's how it was,is and will be haha

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 15:50:58 »
Yeah it is a great concept darin, but it's just too much to concentrate on... I bet skill aside a person playing on a 17" monitor will whomp on someone using 3 displays... it's just soo much easier to concentrate on one smaller-mid sized screen than one large or several screens to equal one large display.

And I'm not really sure the advantages(if any) of it over running a normal multi diplay for just simple multitasking and processing.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 15:54:17 »
I'll actually agree here....I never looked away from the main screen on BF3.  However on racing games, blind turns which can't be seen on a standard monitor can now be seen using eyefinity.  It's great for that!!!!  Now if I only had the spare cash for that new forcefeedback steeringwheel.  I can also see the benefit when Diable III comes out and you can see more of the area around you, hence see attacks and enemies from farther out.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 15:57:21 »
I will say the only thing I would want this for would be anything but BF3 haha... It would be great for a racing game... something like forza would be amazing with this... perhaps an RPG just for the berth of vision... and maybe an RTS to see more map at a time... But for a fast action paced game I think it would be at a disadvantage.

Still be cool, I run multiple display when I used to play MMO's but that was because I would run 2 accounts of one comp at a time... but that was about it. I use 2 for work.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 16:01:44 »
Speaking of new MMO's , anyone here BETA SWTOR over the weekend?  "Star Wars The Old Republic"

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 16:03:07 »
Nah, I have a few friends who are going ape over it, but that's about it... I like the movies, I just can't get into star wars enough to like anything other than the movies about it.

And going back to the topic at hand... I just dont see the advantage of this over normal nvidia compatibilty when running 1-3 monitors...

Maybe it's me but this just seems like they took rudimentary and some what of a standard techonology added a new label to it and shipped it(apple anyone?)... It just seems like a consumers product(this is not a slam against you darin) I just dont see it being any different than what is already available or what I am capable of doing with another card set.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 16:09:31 by Boonjob »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 19:35:03 »
I seriously bought the GPU more for being able to hook up multiple monitors for multitasking. But I am also looking forward to seeing how i like it with being able to see roughly 180 degrees in game. Need for speed and other race games im sure is pretty sick. It comes with Dirt3, donno if its any good but i liked the first one, and i seen that Steam usually has their older NFS games on sale and such, so i may get a few of those as well depending on how well i like it. My friend has Tri-monitors for BF3 and he likes it.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 14:30:11 »
Well, today i'll be returning the 6870, it isnt performing like i ifgured it would and i found a site that shows the performance of this card compared to some others, and its odd how one of their 58xx cards outperformed mine..... So im getting the 6950 with 2gig ram, so this should be flying pretty well.

I also decided to do a mini pc upgrade, bought an i5 quad 2500k 3.3ghz cpu, 16 gigs ran, mobo, and a sata3 drive for the OS, so this thing should be humming along with no issues and i can retire this other hardware into my server and throw away the P4 system.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 23:45:19 »
Just wanted to show you the Eyefinity. I like it though the only thing i dont like is that i cant maximize a window to one screen as Eyefinity makes it recognize all 3 as one..... But oh well, its still pretty nice, mostly because if i wanted/needed to i can scale up to 6 monitors. Also have Ubuntu 11.10 running in VNC from my server. Took a little while to setup since it was my first time. But fairly easy once you get done reading through all the manuals.