2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Serpent Stars  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Neogenesis

Serpent Stars
« on: December 04, 2011, 00:32:26 »
Are all serpent stars reef safe?  I've seen the normal brown/gray ones, but the LFS has in orange/red ones in that look kinda cool.  I've never come across them before and am going to pick one up if they are safe.

Thanks,

Scott

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Serpent Stars
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:51 »
Are all serpent stars reef safe?  I've seen the normal brown/gray ones, but the LFS has in orange/red ones in that look kinda cool.  I've never come across them before and am going to pick one up if they are safe.

They should be reef safe in that they won't eat corals.    But some serpents are known to kill/eat sleeping fish.    Red ones in particular have been reported to do this, but that doesn't mean they all will

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:18 »
I haven't heard of serpent stars killing / eating fish, but I have seen a green brittle star trying to trap and catch a small fish.

I've had a red serpent star for five years or so, and he's been a model citizen.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:33:39 »
I haven't heard of serpent stars killing / eating fish, but I have seen a green brittle star trying to trap and catch a small fish.

They are both in a similar family, but I guess the brittle starts are more known for this.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:08:28 »
The will eat dead or dying fish, I have seen them do this but, if a fish is healthy they should be fine. I have 2 huge ( 12"+ tip to tip) gray stars in my tank and they are ok.

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:55 »
I had a red serpent star (the kinda that looks like a pincushion with five arms) and he killed an unspecified amount of fish and inverts. We weren't sure what it was he ate because we originally thought it was the flower anenomie that was doing it. What he did was hide in the top of rock work caves and when something he thought he could tackle swam under the rock he sucked em up like an octopus would.

There was a post about that somewhere on here.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 00:10:50 »
Interesting.. the other serpent star I have in my tank is a brown / tan colored one, and he's also been a model citizen. We have.. umm.. 4 LARGE brittle stars (3 brown, one black), 2 serpent stars, and a hitchhiker brittle star that's a bit smaller. We've had many docile fish that sleep in the rock work without losing them to this crew.