2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY CNC machine  (Read 2495 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
DIY CNC machine
« on: January 12, 2012, 14:51:53 »
Just wondering if anyone has built one of these. I was thinking about making one to help with the building process of the items i make. There's some opensource CNC software out there im going to have to look into as well. I just hope that its pretty easy to program/use.

I have no idea what to use as far as motors but I'm going to look out there to see if there are any plans made. I want the CNC table to be 4'x8' so i can do whole sheets of acrylic or wood or whatever. I seen where people used a router/dremel/etc, but im thinking i would like to be able to control the speed (if possible) from the CNC software, but not really needed, i dont mind presetting the speed.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: DIY CNC machine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 14:55:44 »
I've seen a few diy cnc machines, aswell as large diy canvas printers(kinda the same)

You should be able to pull up a few vids on youtube of them...pretty neat.. the canvas printers are super cheap to make. I thought about making one to paint a pic on a wall in one of my homes, but wife thought it was poor taste rofl...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 14:57:36 »
ha ha. would be fun to do though

i looked online for a bit on youtube for some vids, but the ones i watched weren't descriptive as to what they used and how they made it. I'm going to investigate it some more this weekend.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 15:11:23 »
it was awhile ago when I was looking at them... it was like 05-06ish... good possibility that some of the vids I saw are no longer on there... I will see if i can find some of them...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 16:58:30 »
I guy at my work has built several.  You will be using Stepper motors.  Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll try to get it to him for questions
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 20:53:14 »
How much do you think it would cost to build something like that? I wouldn't mind having one if it won't bankrupt me.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:28:16 »
not sure, im going to guess 5-800 depending on what you use to build your table and such out of and what kind of router you use. (hoping closer to 500). One other things that i would like to be able to do is make it wifi accessable so that i could send the instructions from any computer that i want, prob have to build a little PICO system with wifi capabilities to boot up when the CNC is turned on.

I use my grandpa's CNC hand crank but its very time consuming and i'm not good at manually making any rounded edges on it. So a CNC would help out a lot.

Found a website called Linuxcnc.org, seems to be a good program, i only breifly looked at it though so there may be some better ones out there.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13:12 »
well, it look slike for the size of CNC that im wanting to make, its going to cost close to 1k, which to me, isnt all that bad for a CNC

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:24 »
No, that is actually very cheap for a CNC machine. It's more than my wife would let me spend on one but maybe if I need any work done I could just pay you to do it. lol
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:23 »
lol, yeah, thats always an option. from the looks of it, its going to prob cost as most 1500... now that im looking into all the hardware to do it all. Though i found this: http://www.ecrater.com/p/12583715/3-axis-nema-23-stepper-motor-driver# for $260, which on some websites i been finding single motors to cost that much in the Nema23 range http://www.mcmaster.com/#electric-motors/=fspfo7.... those motors push 175 ounce-torque, but i'm not sure if thats enough. I was wanting to build a table to handle 4x8' sheets of whatever, but that means that the table would have to be something like 9x5' which im not sure if i have room for at the moment, then add on room for the motors and railing..... so i may just build it to do 4x4' sheets.

But still exploring whats needed and such.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
DIY CNC machine
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:52 »
Hey all, I'm new here but thought I might be able to help out. I own a cr onsrude cnc twin table 4x8 10hp. I have a woodworking business in Lebanon. I have built programmed and work on Cnc equipment daily. If you need parts for your Cnc build I can help.
Cheers

Chris